U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-05-2013, 07:43 PM

89 posts, read 114,582 times
Default Johnny Carino's in Brier Creek = 86.5% sanitation grade

Just an FYI. Walked in tonight and they have the "8" covered with the tail of a red bow. While waiting to be seated my husband decided to move the bow and saw the entire 86.5-B grade. So of course we left quickly. They are also very short staffed.

Last edited by rere900; 12-05-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM

12,155 posts, read 7,302,772 times
I've always thought that place was nasty.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 PM

84 posts, read 25,779 times
Is it legal for them to cover up the score like that?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:53 PM

871 posts, read 756,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I've always thought that place was nasty.
I agree. Our nickname for it is Johnny Crapino's!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 PM

12,155 posts, read 7,302,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
i agree. Our nickname for it is johnny crapino's! :d
lol.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:32 PM

856 posts, read 528,428 times
I went there once when I first moved up here because my g/f at the time loved Carino's - had worked for a location out in California or Texas as a hostess. I ordered the chicken parm and when I cut into it, I discovered a layer of plastic wrap in the chicken. I think I've gone back there once since.

BTW for anyone interested, here's the inspection report. Critical violations are in red.

Facility Type: Restaurant
Inspection Date: 11/27/2013
Score: 86.5

# Comments Points

1. 2-102.12 Certified Food Protection Manager - Person in charge failed to present adequate proof of Food Safety Manager education. Each establishment shall have a person-in-charge present at all times that food is being handled. This or another (present) person with supervisory duties shall have passed an ANSI approved Food Protection Manager test (such as Servsafe) and shall have the certificate available for review by the inspector. This item is currently in a phase in period and may be subject to loss of points starting on January 1, 2014. 0.0

2. 2-201.11(A), (B), (C), & (E) Responsibility of Permit Holder, Person in Charge, and Conditional Employees - Person in charge unable to demonstrate that employees have been notified of their responsibility to notify management if they are sick. The Person In Charge is responsible for ensuring that this notification is made and that restrictions (i.e. limited duties) and exclusions (requiring that an employee not work in the establishment) are enforced as appropriate. No Employee Health Policy can be located. Sample employee health policy form can be found at www.wakegov.com/food . Provided FDA Employee Health Handbook, form 1-B & Stop Sign. 0.0

8. 5-202.12; Priority Foundation; Handwashing Sink in the women's restroom is 77 degrees on the right, 146'F on the left. Men's room 143 degrees. Handwashing Sink in the kitchen provides water at 148'F. "(A) A handwashing sink shall be equipped to provide water at a temperature of at least 38oC (100oF) through a mixing valve or combination faucet." Control of water temperature is needed. Water at 100'F is required, but excessively hot water is provided at most sinks. Scald hazard 1.0

8. 5-205.11; Priority Foundation; One Handwashing Sink in the kitchen has drain pipe that flows to the floor, not the drain. Another handwashing sink leaks to the floor. 0.0

14. 4-601.11 (A); Priority Foundation; Food Preparation SINK is not clean. Use Soap and clean after use. Once rinsed, apply sanitizer and leave the sink and prep surfaces wet with sanitizer. . . Large stored Lexans have not been cleaned; stored without cleaning & sanitizing. . . . . Hobart Mixer needs cleaning. . . . Meat SLICER has not been cleaned on the underside. Heavy greasy film coats much of the slicer. Thoroughly clean & sanitize after each use. . . . CAN OPENER is extremely unclean. It is the most neglected can opener I have ever seen. Take apart for frequent cleaning. . . . Both ICE BUCKETS have black grime, unclean build-up on/in them. These need regular cleaning. Employees handling ice shall wash their hands 1st. 0.0

15. 3-701.11; Priority; Spinach in the top of the salad refrigerator is wilted, visibly contaminated with microbial growth, not in good condition. (spinach observed in another refrigerator appears very fresh.) Follow maximum of 4 days open for the spinach and cut leafy greens. Discard wilted, rotten leaves. 1.0

18. 3-501.14; Priority; MEAT SAUCE 94'F, tightly covered in deep pan bunched close to other pans (minimal air-flow). Some pans of sauce are covered by a common lid (in addition to their own cover, again, restricting air-flow. RAPID COOLING METHODS NEEDED. Use Ice Bath, storage in the freezer, shallow pans, separating pans so that air-flows between them. Recommend implimenting a cooling log to keep track of food temperatures. . . . Turkey should be spread out on metal sheet pans, not heaped in a container or stored in the top of the open top refrigerator that is struggling to maintain temperatures. 1.5

20. 3-501.16 (A)(2) and (B); Priority; the 1st Make-Line Refrigerator: Pecan Chicken Breasts 53'F, Diced Tomato 55'F, Salad Mix/lettuce 53'F, Bleu Cheese Crumbles 52'F, Balsamic Dressing 49'F. Use a thermometer and monitor food temperatures. Maintain below 45/41'F. 3.0

20. 3-501.16 (A)(2) and (B); Priority; Pizza Refrigerator: Sausage 47'F, Portioned Shredded Cheese 49'F, Sealed Bag of Mozzarella Cheese Ball 48'F, portioned Turkey 62'F. Monitor food temperatures. Maintain below 45/41'F. . . . . Raw Chicken 51'F in top of 3rd Refrigerator. . . . . Walk-in Cooler: Lasagna 46'F, Pork Ribs 46'F, Sauce 46 & 47'F. 0.0

31. 3-501.15; Priority Foundation; Turkey Slices 62'F are stored in the top of the Pizza Refrigerator. Food should be cool before storing in an open top refrigerator. . . . In the walk-in cooler, portioned rolls of Turkey are 57'F and tightly packed together. Spread out portions onto sheet pans to allow cold air to flow and cool the ready-to-eat food (that is a hazard for growth of Listeria) to below 45/41'F. Rapid Cooling Methods needed. 0.5

37. 3-303.12; SQUID is stored in unsealed bags in ice water. The water is entering the packages. The intent appears to be to keep ice on the refrigerated food to maintain safe temperature, but the ice mets and now it is stored in the liquid. Protect food. "A) packaged food may not be stored in direct contact with ice or water if the food is subject to the entry of water because of the nature of its packaging, wrapping, or container or its positioning in the ice or water." Discarded 2.0

37. 3-305.11; Several badly broken plastic covers are used on food. Food is in danger of being contaminated with the many broken plastic pieces. Protect food from contamination. Do not put anything directly over food that may pose a risk. . . . . There is debris inside of refrigerators that is dusty, crusty, black spotted, etc. I would be concerned if this material observed in several refrigerators where food is stored entered a pan or contaminated food. Store food in clean areas. 0.0

42. 4-903.11(A) and (B); Areas used to store clean utensils are not clean. Shelf for Cuttingboards is very dirty. These cuttingboards may be used for ready-to-eat food and need to be maintained in a clean & sanitized condition. Shelf to store Lids for large Lexans is extremely unclean. Lids themselves have wet, unclean debris. Keep storage areas clean. 0.5

45. 4-501.11; REFRIGERATORS ARE NOT HOLDING FOOD AT SAFE TEMPERATURE. Refrigerators are in bad repair in several ways including water pooled inside so that pans are stored in it, they are dented, dirty, tilt because portions of the supporting bottom are missing, etc. 2.0

45. 4-502.11(A) and (C); Estimate that 70 percent of all plastic lids for covering food are badly broken, cracked, damaged. Discard broken utensils. . . . CUTTINGBOARDS have several melted areas that are not considered to be cleanable - discard. 0.0

47. 4-602.13; Equipment is not being maintained clean. There is dust and black debris in refrigerators that pose a concern if introduced into food. All equipment needs extensive cleaning. 1.0

53. 6-101.11; Floor, walls and ceiling need to maintained to be easily cleanable. Baseboards are missing so water pools & surrounds walls. Grout has worn away from between floor tiles. Floor is damaged around floor drain. Walls are not clean. Ceiling is discolored and unclean indicating that hood system is not operating properly. Ceiling & light covers around vent are dusty. 1.0

General Comments
Plastic storage containers for sweetners need cleaning.
Good to see that employees wash their hands.

Last edited by garnetpalmetto; 12-05-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,228,655 times
I guess I'm happy that I haven't been back in more than a year. I live in the neighborhood and I used to like that place. Maybe they will get the Southpoint treatment and the restaurant will be torn down. Fratellos is gone. We really need a decent Italian restaurant in Brier Creek.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM

89 posts, read 114,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I went there once when I first moved up here because my g/f at the time loved Carino's - had worked for a location out in California or Texas as a hostess. I ordered the chicken parm and when I cut into it, I discovered a layer of plastic wrap in the chicken. I think I've gone back there once since.

BTW for anyone interested, here's the inspection report. Critical violations are in red.

Facility Type: Restaurant
Inspection Date: 11/27/2013
Score: 86.5

# Comments Points 1. 2-102.12 Certified Food Protection Manager - Person in charge failed to present adequate proof of Food Safety Manager education. Each establishment shall have a person-in-charge present at all times that food is being handled. This or another (present) person with supervisory duties shall have passed an ANSI approved Food Protection Manager test (such as Servsafe) and shall have the certificate available for review by the inspector. This item is currently in a phase in period and may be subject to loss of points starting on January 1, 2014. 0.0

2. 2-201.11(A), (B), (C), & (E) Responsibility of Permit Holder, Person in Charge, and Conditional Employees - Person in charge unable to demonstrate that employees have been notified of their responsibility to notify management if they are sick. The Person In Charge is responsible for ensuring that this notification is made and that restrictions (i.e. limited duties) and exclusions (requiring that an employee not work in the establishment) are enforced as appropriate. No Employee Health Policy can be located. Sample employee health policy form can be found at www.wakegov.com/food . Provided FDA Employee Health Handbook, form 1-B & Stop Sign. 0.0

8. 5-202.12; Priority Foundation; Handwashing Sink in the women's restroom is 77 degrees on the right, 146'F on the left. Men's room 143 degrees. Handwashing Sink in the kitchen provides water at 148'F. "(A) A handwashing sink shall be equipped to provide water at a temperature of at least 38oC (100oF) through a mixing valve or combination faucet." Control of water temperature is needed. Water at 100'F is required, but excessively hot water is provided at most sinks. Scald hazard 1.0

8. 5-205.11; Priority Foundation; One Handwashing Sink in the kitchen has drain pipe that flows to the floor, not the drain. Another handwashing sink leaks to the floor. 0.0

14. 4-601.11 (A); Priority Foundation; Food Preparation SINK is not clean. Use Soap and clean after use. Once rinsed, apply sanitizer and leave the sink and prep surfaces wet with sanitizer. . . Large stored Lexans have not been cleaned; stored without cleaning & sanitizing. . . . . Hobart Mixer needs cleaning. . . . Meat SLICER has not been cleaned on the underside. Heavy greasy film coats much of the slicer. Thoroughly clean & sanitize after each use. . . . CAN OPENER is extremely unclean. It is the most neglected can opener I have ever seen. Take apart for frequent cleaning. . . . Both ICE BUCKETS have black grime, unclean build-up on/in them. These need regular cleaning. Employees handling ice shall wash their hands 1st. 0.0
15. 3-701.11; Priority; Spinach in the top of the salad refrigerator is wilted, visibly contaminated with microbial growth, not in good condition. (spinach observed in another refrigerator appears very fresh.) Follow maximum of 4 days open for the spinach and cut leafy greens. Discard wilted, rotten leaves. 1.0

18. 3-501.14; Priority; MEAT SAUCE 94'F, tightly covered in deep pan bunched close to other pans (minimal air-flow). Some pans of sauce are covered by a common lid (in addition to their own cover, again, restricting air-flow. RAPID COOLING METHODS NEEDED. Use Ice Bath, storage in the freezer, shallow pans, separating pans so that air-flows between them. Recommend implimenting a cooling log to keep track of food temperatures. . . . Turkey should be spread out on metal sheet pans, not heaped in a container or stored in the top of the open top refrigerator that is struggling to maintain temperatures. 1.5
20. 3-501.16 (A)(2) and (B); Priority; the 1st Make-Line Refrigerator: Pecan Chicken Breasts 53'F, Diced Tomato 55'F, Salad Mix/lettuce 53'F, Bleu Cheese Crumbles 52'F, Balsamic Dressing 49'F. Use a thermometer and monitor food temperatures. Maintain below 45/41'F. 3.0

20. 3-501.16 (A)(2) and (B); Priority; Pizza Refrigerator: Sausage 47'F, Portioned Shredded Cheese 49'F, Sealed Bag of Mozzarella Cheese Ball 48'F, portioned Turkey 62'F. Monitor food temperatures. Maintain below 45/41'F. . . . . Raw Chicken 51'F in top of 3rd Refrigerator. . . . . Walk-in Cooler: Lasagna 46'F, Pork Ribs 46'F, Sauce 46 & 47'F. 0.0
31. 3-501.15; Priority Foundation; Turkey Slices 62'F are stored in the top of the Pizza Refrigerator. Food should be cool before storing in an open top refrigerator. . . . In the walk-in cooler, portioned rolls of Turkey are 57'F and tightly packed together. Spread out portions onto sheet pans to allow cold air to flow and cool the ready-to-eat food (that is a hazard for growth of Listeria) to below 45/41'F. Rapid Cooling Methods needed. 0.5

37. 3-303.12; SQUID is stored in unsealed bags in ice water. The water is entering the packages. The intent appears to be to keep ice on the refrigerated food to maintain safe temperature, but the ice mets and now it is stored in the liquid. Protect food. "A) packaged food may not be stored in direct contact with ice or water if the food is subject to the entry of water because of the nature of its packaging, wrapping, or container or its positioning in the ice or water." Discarded 2.0

37. 3-305.11; Several badly broken plastic covers are used on food. Food is in danger of being contaminated with the many broken plastic pieces. Protect food from contamination. Do not put anything directly over food that may pose a risk. . . . . There is debris inside of refrigerators that is dusty, crusty, black spotted, etc. I would be concerned if this material observed in several refrigerators where food is stored entered a pan or contaminated food. Store food in clean areas. 0.0
42. 4-903.11(A) and (B); Areas used to store clean utensils are not clean. Shelf for Cuttingboards is very dirty. These cuttingboards may be used for ready-to-eat food and need to be maintained in a clean & sanitized condition. Shelf to store Lids for large Lexans is extremely unclean. Lids themselves have wet, unclean debris. Keep storage areas clean. 0.5
45. 4-501.11; REFRIGERATORS ARE NOT HOLDING FOOD AT SAFE TEMPERATURE. Refrigerators are in bad repair in several ways including water pooled inside so that pans are stored in it, they are dented, dirty, tilt because portions of the supporting bottom are missing, etc. 2.0

45. 4-502.11(A) and (C); Estimate that 70 percent of all plastic lids for covering food are badly broken, cracked, damaged. Discard broken utensils. . . . CUTTINGBOARDS have several melted areas that are not considered to be cleanable - discard. 0.0

47. 4-602.13; Equipment is not being maintained clean. There is dust and black debris in refrigerators that pose a concern if introduced into food. All equipment needs extensive cleaning. 1.0
53. 6-101.11; Floor, walls and ceiling need to maintained to be easily cleanable. Baseboards are missing so water pools & surrounds walls. Grout has worn away from between floor tiles. Floor is damaged around floor drain. Walls are not clean. Ceiling is discolored and unclean indicating that hood system is not operating properly. Ceiling & light covers around vent are dusty. 1.0

General Comments Plastic storage containers for sweetners need cleaning.
Good to see that employees wash their hands.
Disgusting!! I would have been so pissed if I saw that grade after eating!!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,296,477 times
Aw, man...best part of that place is the unlimited refills on Italian sodas. Making it through all 6 flavors in one meal is a challenge.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM

142 posts, read 65,582 times
Ha ha! Johnny Carinos...I'll never forget their sticky floors and stained napkins. What a dump!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary