Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

150 posts, read 175,304 times

Advertisements

Dang, guess I'm an old stick-in-the-mud. I grew up on a dairy farm in the sticks in SC. Got my license in the around 1979. My folks kept close tabs on me: had to have a good reason and an approved destination, had to call (from a LAND LINE phone) if I were to be delayed for any reason, did a lot of driving under supervision. Of course, being on a farm, by that time I had driven tractors and dump trucks all over, but they are not the same. I never hauled a bunch of peers around with me, and that probably helped - reduced temptation to show off and not pay attention. I think I was pretty conscientious, but I still had a couple of minor accidents. However, I KNEW that they were my fault (except for one which wasn't), and I never thought or claimed otherwise...

I didn't own my own car until I was married and turned 27. My parents allowed me to USE one of their vehicles after I had been in college a year

I had to wait until I was in my mid-thirties to develop the sense of always watching for the impending accidents 100% of the time. Peripheral vision is your friend. I had to learn (figure out for myself) that the best way to stay out of accidents is defensive driving: just assume that everyone else on the road is out to kill you, and keep an eye on them A harsh truth is that driving, especially with a lot of other people are around, is NOT relaxing, in general...so don't relax (at least not too much). The DC Beltway is a particularly stressful classroom; I can drive there with confidence now...but I'm in fighter-plane mode: I'm not paying attention to anything else not related to driving and making it through the area in one piece. I don't even like to touch the radio dial when I'm in such places. Vigilance pays off in a safe arrival.

I don't know how to communicate this to young drivers in a way that they internalize it. Much of it is experience, and until things happen or almost happen to a driver, many (most?) new drivers don't really take it to heart. A problem there is that "generational" thing: the older thinking the younger is inexperienced, immature, not ready, etc, etc (often true), and the younger thinking that the older is hidebound, overemphasizing safety and procedures, and generally throwing a damper on things (which can be true and can be how things appear). Practice and experience appear to be the best teachers. I would certainly never just GIVE a child of mine a vehicle, and I'm sure my rules would make me both square and a drag So I support all y'all that are taking that line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 01:54 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
As I was coming of driving age my Dad used to share tons of driving wisdom. But the one thing that always stood out was when he pointed out that a car in the wrong hands was a weapon that could kill as fast as any bullet. He told me that my safety was his greatest concern but second to that was his fear that I (or any of his kids) would kill someone in an accident due to circumstances completely within my control. And so I have always respected the potential danger of driving.

I've since passed this concern along to my sons, one driving and another about a year away from starting the process.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
I kept very close tabs on mine during their learning years..

In fact I made my 16 year old march down to DMV with me and turn his license in for
a minor irresponsible choice while driving..
The DMV officer said " no questions asked, and thanks "

Still amazed about a mom of my son's friend.
Her son was driving my son to the movies and during the
20 questions I always asked I realized she had allowed her child to take
3 other kids too and was returning after 9 with a graduated license that
allowed neither.

I went straight to the theater, got my son & drove him home.
The mom was shocked that I had a problem with him breaking the law and was mad at me for embarrassing her kid...wow..

Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 PM

164 posts, read 287,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Take away the keys.
^ This.

Agree with most that 16 is just way too young, and this is coming from someone who has had their license 11 years, yet have had way too many friends/acquaintances throughout those years that are no longer alive because of being stupid in a car. And ironically, I had a friend total his Acura RSX at 19, which is the same car these kids were in.

I got my license literally a few days after turning 16, but learned to drive on our property at about 12 in my grandfathers "Willy" Jeep from the 50's with my dad's guidance. (No synchronized gears on those guys, so I was a total master at a stick shift by the time I finally had my license, to boot) I wasn't your average teenage girl who was just starting out, nor was remotely nervous about driving. My dad was a gear head, and I grew up around not so normal family cars.

I was trusted enough around them, yet still ended up in the back of a cop car at 18 for being an idiot on a back road with one of those said cars. I wasn't your typical (at least, completely) immature teenager either, but still had one of those moments that you should *know* better than to do, yet still do because you are 18. Looking back I wish my parents would have just taken my keys and thrown them away. I now have a 4 and a 2 year old, and after what I've seen as well as personally done - I don't think they'll drive until they're 30, nor be allowed in anyone's car with the word "teen" at the end of their age. Wishful thinking here, right?!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Thank you for sharing this! My daughter is 16 and has been playing fast and loose with those graduated licensing rules. She frequently takes someone younger than her home from school events after 9pm, and her little sister has ratted on her...she is driving too fast.
You are the parent, what are you going to do about all this ???
I hope more than show her an article..

Old 12-06-2013, 02:16 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The mom was shocked that I had a problem with him breaking the law and was mad at me for embarrassing her kid...wow..

And THAT, is about 90% of the problem.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Back when I got my license at 16, 30+ years ago, my dad had a rule that we couldn't carry anyone outside the family for the first six months, and we couldn't ride with anyone who had their license less than six months. I was always grateful for those rules; they helped me out in a lot of peer pressure situations. Kids understand the parent being the bad guy. That's why parents have to be the bad guy.

Also, my mom had a hobby of telling us about wrecks at practically every corner, and that gave us a proper fear of the area too. I know that section of Norwood; that's close to where I grew up. Some of those curves have always been rough.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:49 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
I think the closest I came to losing my mind was when my son got his license.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
someone mentioned GPS earlier ..... the technology is here today to track the speed and much more (think black box) of automobiles. I would love to see this technology a mandate on any vehicle a 16 year old drives. Would these kids still be doing the crazy things they do behind the wheel if they knew a responsible adult could pull up the stats at any given time. Why not utilize the technology's available (the kids sure do) .... I pray for families involved in this latest accident.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
someone mentioned GPS earlier ..... the technology is here today to track the speed and much more (think black box) of automobiles. I would love to see this technology a mandate on any vehicle a 16 year old drives. Would these kids still be doing the crazy things they do behind the wheel if they knew a responsible adult could pull up the stats at any given time. Why not utilize the technology's available (the kids sure do) .... I pray for families involved in this latest accident.
I think this "black box" in under utilized also..I think it is actually called a black box...It
is easy for a parent to install & then read out on a computer..
It would be neat to see the insurance companies offer them for a reduced premium for teen drivers..
Just think of the lives that could be saved if teen drivers knew that their speed was monitored
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary