U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 PM

121 posts, read 290,913 times

Advertisements

It is 35 degrees here in Milwaukee, WI. I don't think I can take another winter. What is the weather like in Raleigh in the Winter? Does it snow there? Do you have to wear a winter coat in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 10:21 PM

19,701 posts, read 31,496,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
It is 35 degrees here in Milwaukee, WI. I don't think I can take another winter. What is the weather like in Raleigh in the Winter? Does it snow there? Do you have to wear a winter coat in the winter?
We get a little cold, but it isn't Wisconsin.
We may get into the teens a few times in the winter. Last year that happened in early-mid December, and the rest of the winter was balmy. IIRC.

I saw about 6 snow flakes one day last winter.
About 7 years ago we got 22 inches of snow. A record for ever since they kept records.
We usually get one or two 2"--4" snow falls each winter, but snow has been in short supply for a year or two.
I'm fine with that.

Ice is a bigger issue, but it has been a few years since we had a real dandy ice storm that took out power and dropped trees on houses.

I'm here ten years from PA, and told the wife this weekend that it seems like winter will never end...
I came with thin blood, and it only got thinner fast.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:26 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,222,244 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ters-down.html

Old 11-25-2007, 10:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,324,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
Historical climate data for Raleigh-Durham. You can be the judge as to what's too cold or too hot.

RALEIGH DURHAM WSFO AP, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Southeast Regional Climate Center

Old 11-25-2007, 10:41 PM

121 posts, read 290,913 times
MAtoNC thanks for the link to the post about winters in Raleigh. Here in Wisconsin, the salt trucks are immediately on the road once snow or ice is on the ground. I guess that is not the case in NC because it is rare.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:27 AM

4,891 posts, read 12,099,721 times
we just moved here from NJ back in march. now NJ is not WI, but still we get pretty cold up there, and when we came on our first visit last january, it was 75 degrees. i was walking around in a long sleeve t shirt sweating! it only added to my wanting to move here...now i realize its not always that nice, but when i look at the weather between nj and nc, i notice it can range from 5 to 20 degrees in difference each day...i'll take it!
winter was one of the reasons i wanted to leave nj also. snow is pretty when you can sit home and watch it from inside, but when you have to go out and drive to work or school, you start hating it pretty fast. winter feels never ending!

also, no salt trucks= no pot holes---you will notice it right away. the roadways are sooo smooth compared to NJ

Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 AM

1,246 posts, read 3,040,143 times
You will definitely need a winter coat. It gets pretty chilly down here. Especially in the evenings and first thing in the morning. But hopefully we won't have snow.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,720,763 times
Moved here from upstate NY almost 5 years ago and vividly remember a typical upstate NY winter day. Short cloud filled days with an occasional ray of sunshine. Here is the 5 day forecast for the Raleigh area: WRAL.com - Breaking News, News, Weather, Video, Traffic and Sports No the calendar may say its not winter yet but I know upstate NY already had some snow fall and we here in NC got some more 70 degree days and plenty of sunshine! There are certainly days you need a coat, hat, and gloves here in the winter but my back and frozen face have not been seen since our last winter in upstate NY. Also, they do use salt on the roads here but they make it a cocktail of sorts by adding water and spraying it on in a liquid state versus NY state's rock salt that stings like a pellet gun blast when you get to near the salt truck. YUCK better stated OUCH!

We also have never missed the snow enough to hop in our car and head for the mountains where we certainly can see and ski it if we wanted too! Maybe someday...then again maybe not! Either way its our choice in the typical NC winter!

Hope this helped!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 AM

2,392 posts, read 3,354,859 times
I've only spent one winter in RDU. When I moved up there on Dec 31 of 2006 it was about 65 degrees and nice. But from that point on winter was in full effect. You'll have a day or two where it is 65 or 68 degrees in Jan but 5 straight days of those temps in Jan, Feb and March is not the norm. If it was NC would be the northern version of FL, So Cal or AZ and that it ain't. Right now I'm sitting in FL and it is 66 degrees compared to 44 in RDU. And the temp diff that I just mentioned was the same last year in Jan, Feb and March when comparing RDU to FL or AZ which I did all the time last winter. There where two times last winter when there was ice on the roads. I don't how common that is but I'd never driven on ice before that and it scared me then and it scares me now. So yes, the winters maybe mild in comparison to say WI, but there is still enough of a chill so that you need a jacket, some gloves and maybe a hat from Jan through Mar.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:09 AM

4,898 posts, read 10,443,966 times
You won't need a winter coat down here. I usually survive most of the winter with only a polartek jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary