Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM

14 posts, read 15,880 times

Advertisements

The stepford wives comment was just something i had heard. Please, no disrespect meant When I search on realtor.com it will give me many properties with a Raleigh address in my price range with lots of property, are the neighborhoods around Raleigh (Cary, Apex, Holly Springs) a Raleigh address? ... I think the privacy, and larger yard would be more important to me than walkability. If we can drive to cultural events, farmers markets, sporting events and the like in a short amount of time I would be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you're not going to find 0.5 acre and walkable together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah... that struck me as unusual.
It is somewhat doable in the Heart of Cary, within the budget.
It won't be torn from the centerfold of House Beautiful, but it is doable.

Renting and stalking neighborhoods for a while is how you get it. And you don't get to just shop the last 60 days of the lease. You buy when the product presents itself.

ITB or Chapel Hill? That half acre is $300,000+ and then you build on it.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiaann View Post
The stepford wives comment was just something i had heard. Please, no disrespect meant When I search on realtor.com it will give me many properties with a Raleigh address in my price range with lots of property, are the neighborhoods around Raleigh (Cary, Apex, Holly Springs) a Raleigh address? ... I think the privacy, and larger yard would be more important to me than walkability. If we can drive to cultural events, farmers markets, sporting events and the like in a short amount of time I would be happy.

I could be wrong, but those houses with a Raleigh address and lots of property are likely in the southeast direction from Raleigh proper. If good public schools are a priority I would find the currently assigned school for that address and cross check on Greatschools. This will give you a very preliminary snapshot of that school and you can investigate from there.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
anybody that takes exception to the stepford comment hasn't been around long enough to hear it before. I mean, it's not called the Concentrated/Containment/Centralized Area for Relocated Yankees for nothing.

we are certainly car-dependent here; we just don't have high-quality public transportation because the demand isn't there to provide it/spend the money on it. That's part of taxes and spending.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:

The Stepford thing is just juvenile internet trolling, and does get a rise out of many of us Cary-ites.
Often, it is from people who have never actually been to Cary. So, take it with a grain of salt.

If you are open to suburbia, you will have opportunities for half an acre in many areas of the Triangle.
It will be a home that is 10 or more years old, generally, as small lots have taken over the market.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
for your purposes now, I would search Zillow, or any other map-based website. Realtor.com may very well display results as a map, I just don't ever use it.

You're not trying to find a home now - you're trying to ...

1. confirm that indeed "a 3 bedroom home on 1/2 acre built between x and y years and within 30 minutes of Z location" exist.

2. confirm that you can get what you NEED for $1,500/mo or less.

3. determine whether you even like the area or not.

and these are actually in inverse order.

When you actually move here, and really start looking for where to buy, then you can switch to an accurate, current-info real estate website.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
anybody that takes exception to the stepford comment hasn't been around long enough to hear it before. I mean, it's not called the Concentrated/Containment/Centralized Area for Relocated Yankees for nothing.

we are certainly car-dependent here; we just don't have high-quality public transportation because the demand isn't there to provide it/spend the money on it. That's part of taxes and spending.

Yeah... I was just messing around. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that on here, I'd be wealthy.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:56 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
you're not going to find 0.5 acre and walkable together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
ITB or Chapel Hill? That half acre is $300,000+ and then you build on it.
I can't speak to inside the beltline, but my house in Chapel Hill is on .53 acres, is a 10 minute walk to the bookstore, and multiple restaurants, park is right out my backdoor, and homes in my neighborhood go for about $260-$400,000 with most in the $300s. My husband walks to work at UNC every day. I walked to the bookstore today.

You do people a disservice to paint Chapel Hill and Carrboro as all super expensive homes. Our house is definitely NOT new construction (built in the 70s) and we do need to do some upkeep, but it's a great location. It's 5 bedrooms and 3 baths. Great neighborhood with many friendly neighbors who are adding on to their homes. One family put a whole second story on top of their house. Our next door neighbors had their home completely redone about 10 yrs ago. They're nice homes for their era (lots of hardwood floors) and if you're not looking for new construction it's a great neighborhood. They're not all "fixer-uppers", either. Most have been well-maintained. Just your standard middle class 70s neighborhood with a good number of split-levels, two story homes, and brick ranches. My neighbors are doctors, professors, techies, landscapers, librarians, social workers, musicians, teachers, accountants, writers, etc.

Last edited by poppydog; 12-12-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I can't speak to inside the beltline, but my house in Chapel Hill is on .53 acres, is a 10 minute walk to the bookstore, and multiple restaurants, park is right out my backdoor, and homes in my neighborhood go for about $260-$400,000 with most in the $300s. My husband walks to work at UNC every day. I walked to the bookstore today.

You do people a disservice to paint Chapel Hill and Carrboro as all super expensive homes. Our house is definitely NOT new construction (built in the 70s) and we do need to do some upkeep, but it's a great location. It's 5 bedrooms and 3 baths. Great neighborhood with many friendly neighbors who are adding on to their homes. One family put a whole second story on top of their house. Our next door neighbors had their home completely redone about 10 yrs ago. They're nice homes for their era (lots of hardwood floors) and if you're not looking for new construction it's a great neighborhood. They're not all "fixer-uppers", either. Most have been well-maintained. Just your standard middle class 70s neighborhood with a good number of split-levels, two story homes, and brick ranches. My neighbors are doctors, professors, techies, landscapers, librarians, social workers, musicians, teachers, accountants, writers, etc.

The OP has moderated her approach, saying that lot size is more important than walkability, and that brings much more of a market into play in Chapel Hill. Without hesitation, I would drag her into Coker Hills, Lake Forest, anywhere around Eastwood Lake in a heartbeat under those terms.
And would inform her that her housing dollar goes farther in other towns, and her tax rate would be 60%--70% higher for comparable housing than in other towns.

Right now, on MLS, I see one Active listing and one Pending listing with half an acre in Chapel Hill proper. And neither is particularly walkable.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:56 PM

14 posts, read 15,880 times
speaking of taxes... what would the annual property tax be, round about, for a $300000 home in Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Carrboro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary