Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:29 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
It would be great if US 1 to Sanford received that designation. What we really need is a direct SSW Interstate route between Raleigh and Charlotte, but that will never happen...we'll still have to go through GBORO.
Here's more on the US-64/NC-49 corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
This designation is critical to further economic development in the region,” Governor McCrory told Regional Transportation Alliance

How can a name help economic development? I don't get it. A name is a name.
The argument is that many companies use distance from an interstate as a criterion when selecting a location. So in the early screening process for locations, an area like the US-64 corridor wouldn't come up on their radars when it would if it was labeled I-495, even when there aren't any significant changes to the road.

I don't know how true those claims are, but that's the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The argument is that many companies use distance from an interstate as a criterion when selecting a location.
Yes, it's the argument but I find it hard to believe. Any company that is large enough to be shopping for a site that will employ hundreds of people -- the kind of company NC wants to attract -- is also smart enough to understand that not every four lane, limited access highway in good condition is an Interstate. Their people or agents who are scouting potential properties know that, too.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Yes, it's the argument but I find it hard to believe. Any company that is large enough to be shopping for a site that will employ hundreds of people -- the kind of company NC wants to attract -- is also smart enough to understand that not every four lane, limited access highway in good condition is an Interstate. Their people or agents who are scouting potential properties know that, too.
Unfortunately, the people who make decisions in large companies are also clueless bean counters who live in a world of numbers and meaningless jargon. They probably figure choosing a site near an interstate improves their "risk assessment".

Old 12-16-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Unfortunately, the people who make decisions in large companies are also clueless bean counters who live in a world of numbers and meaningless jargon.
I've worked in large companies for 31 years, and I can assure you that's not the case. Clueless bean counters don't rise to positions of authority, and people who spit out only meaningless jargon don't, either. (That's not to say there is no place for meaningless jargon; there is, when the intent is to obfuscate.) As to running companies by the numbers, yes. Companies go bankrupt otherwise.

These Interstate designations are mere window-dressing for purposes of politics at the state and local level.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Unless they're planning to eventually loop it back around to 95, I don't see why they're giving it an even number designation. Spurs are supposed to be odd numbered. Unless NC just doesn't care anymore.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Unless they're planning to eventually loop it back around to 95, I don't see why they're giving it an even number designation. Spurs are supposed to be odd numbered. Unless NC just doesn't care anymore.

I thought the same thing, but as I posted already, even numbers are OK for roads that start and end on an interstate. While it usually is a loop that touches the same road, it can start and end on two different interstates also. This will go from 40 to 95, so this in one case that the NC DMV is actually right.

And it may not be clueless bean counters in the CEO office that are driving this (whether they are actually clueless or not is a matter of opinion ). It is more likely the various real estate search firms they contract with to keep their identities secret. They assemble a ton of demographic info into a spreadsheet to submit to the company and they just cull through to make the first cut. Unless they have specific knowledge of the area, I can see how this might get missed. (though I would honestly expect a search firm to actually do more research, they don't usually)

Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
There isn't really consistency about whether an interstate connecting two different interstates should be even or odd. Different states treat them differently.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:21 AM

I wonder how long it will take for Rocky Mount, Tarboro, etc to ask that US 64 east of I-95 as far as Williamston be renumbered I-495 too. That section of US 64 is limited access, relatively new, and should be very close to full compliance with current Interstate design standards.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
NC 147 through downtown Durham would be another possibility, but most of it is so far out of compliance with today's construction standards that it will probably never be renumbered as an Interstate.
Agreed that an interstate designation is not likely for the Durham Freeway through downtown. But some sort of signage change is in order once the East End Connector is complete.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/em...g.kPvgLVoJj8JQ

The EEC will basically create a + shape of freeways through central and eastern Durham and I think the east-west axis should be US 70 (blue) and the north-south axis should be NC147 (red). This also solves the problem of designation for the EEC itself.

Possibly the north-south axis could be converted to I-585 and the NC147 designation dropped entirely?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Possibly the north-south axis could be converted to I-585 and the NC147 designation dropped entirely?
Makes a lot of sense, but would it matter that the southernmost segment of the red road is tolled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary