Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 AM

29 posts, read 94,269 times

Advertisements

My husband and I usually do the cut your own Christmas tree. Well this is our first year in NC for the holidays and I'm not a big fan of the pines or cedars so I'm not sure if we'll be able to do a cut your own around here. My favorite tree is the Douglas Fir (Yep, I like it better than Frasir). Does anyone know of a place we can get that type of tree? Maybe the farmer's market??

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esunshine View Post
My husband and I usually do the cut your own Christmas tree. Well this is our first year in NC for the holidays and I'm not a big fan of the pines or cedars so I'm not sure if we'll be able to do a cut your own around here. My favorite tree is the Douglas Fir (Yep, I like it better than Frasir). Does anyone know of a place we can get that type of tree? Maybe the farmer's market??

Thanks!!
I was at the Farmer's Market this weekend and the only firs I saw were Fraser Firs. According to Wikipedia "There are five species, two in western North America, one in Mexico and two in eastern Asia." So I think you will be hard pressed to find one here.

Oregon is the number #1 producer of Christmas Trees and the Doug Fir & Noble Fir are the most popular sold there. You might be able to find a tree farm there who will ship.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:31 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
If you decide you want to look at local cut-your-own, check out Back Achers. It's true they have a lot of cedars and pines, but they also have Leland Cypress, which are very nice. Back Achers

Old 11-26-2007, 03:18 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,201 times
I used to work PT at Lowes back in 95-97 (the big one in Garner when it first opened). At that time, they sold Douglas Firs in addition to Fraiser Firs and white pines in the cut Christmas trees. They didn't have a bunch, but they did have some. I'd give them a call and ask if they still do.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:32 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,738,653 times
I think Home Depot had Douglas Firs last year. I was at the one near Strickland Rd. in N. Raleigh and they had a huge selection of all types of trees. The scent was heavenly walking around that place, too!
Toodie

Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM

16 posts, read 46,632 times
we moved here from CA two years ago and am so disappointed in the christmas trees here, they are pretty but have NO discernable scent at all. My kids even noticed. I would love to find a douglas fir (I think thats what we use to get) or I'll have to find scented oil and reed diffusers.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM

583 posts, read 2,802,793 times
NOt sure about the types of trees each farm has, but you can find out more about the tree farms and those which allow you to cut your own on the Goodness Grows in NC website

http://www.ncagr.com/markets/gginc/store/directory.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary