Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:36 PM

260 posts, read 545,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
As I said before, spend about half an hour of your life understanding how these clocking devices work, watch some videos. It would be hard to mistake one car for another on a rural road with one car passing by at a time, but on a road like 540 it would be hard NOT to make mistakes on a regular basis.

It has nothing to do with being able to differentiate between tan and black.

I of course have no idea if this is what happened in this particular case, but I can confirm what the OP is saying because I've both witnessed it happen to others and been a victim of it myself.
Thank you. It's easy for someone to say that I have no idea and the cop may have other reasons.... but, they weren't there and have much less of an idea than I do. Yes, I'm speculating - but it is based on what I observed and not just because of a need to always shoot someone else down. The point of my original post is just an hope that the person is a member of this forum.

And those devices aren't perfect and neither are human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I don't think anybody is trying to "shoot you down". We are all speculating here. None of us know the reason the cop pulled the car over or if the stop even resulted in a ticket. Could be for exactly what you said, or just as easily be for something else.

At the end of the day none of us will ever know....

Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post

If that trooper had been after the one speeding, he got the wrong person. I tried calling 911 to say that the speeder was still on 540 and the trooper had the wrong person. I was basically told that it didn't matter and nothing could be done.
You really called 911 to report that? You do realize 911 is used for emergencies only, right?

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You really called 911 to report that? You do realize 911 is used for emergencies only, right?
Well the Raleigh police website does say to use 911 for "emergencies or ongoing incidents", and well, incidentally the real bad guy kept on going!!

Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:
Easy solution: run something like this AppAnnex

...and show it to the trooper when he pulls you over and discuss how you disagree with his assessment. Watch trooper's face turns beet red as he realizes how disadvantageous and embarrassing it would be for him when you bring the log to court. Right before he leaves, ask said trooper if he would like to donate $50 to whatever charity you'd like to support. Wish him a nice day even if he declines to donate

Obviously doesn't work well if you're actually speeding, only prevents you from being the scapegoat of someone's convenience.
Challenging a State Trooper is always a very good strategy. They are amongst the most receptive to feedback and discussion group I have ever interacted with. Heck, the last time I tried that. they got some friends down to increase the discussion population. As an added freebie they went over my car with a fine toothcomb, just to make sure that I wasn't in any danger via bald tires, or other vehicular defects.
They said that they enjoyed our interaction so much, they'd get all their law enforcement friends to keep an eye out for me in the future and if they saw me we could stop and chat again, especially if it was out in the country somewhere.
I didn't try and ask them for a donation, maybe I will do that next time - I've not been to the dentist or ER for a while....

Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
In some areas, yes - but not in all. This is what the Chapel Hill Police Department says, for example:

Quote:
To report crimes in progress, emergencies or non-emergencies in Chapel Hill, call 9-1-1.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:36 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
In some areas, yes - but not in all. This is what the Chapel Hill Police Department says, for example:
Yes, it's true. Where I lived before you only called 9-1-1 for EMERGENCIES. If you wanted to report a non-emergency, you called the non-emergency police number. But now in Chapel Hill, we regularly get alerts from the police sub-station in our neighborhood and they say to call 9-1-1 for everything - if you want to report a speeding car or a person loitering who looks suspicious, for example. I was surprised because that goes against everything I was taught about using 9-1-1, but it has been confirmed over and over that that is how they want it done.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 AM

77 posts, read 188,467 times
Yep, in Carrboro after 5 pm or on a weekend you have to call 911 for things like noise complaints. I felt like the worst person ever but I tried to be as quick and concise as possible when I called.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 AM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
Challenging a State Trooper is always a very good strategy. They are amongst the most receptive to feedback and discussion group I have ever interacted with. Heck, the last time I tried that. they got some friends down to increase the discussion population. As an added freebie they went over my car with a fine toothcomb, just to make sure that I wasn't in any danger via bald tires, or other vehicular defects.
They said that they enjoyed our interaction so much, they'd get all their law enforcement friends to keep an eye out for me in the future and if they saw me we could stop and chat again, especially if it was out in the country somewhere.
I didn't try and ask them for a donation, maybe I will do that next time - I've not been to the dentist or ER for a while....
Interesting, you are asserting that if a citizen suggests a trooper pulled the wrong car, the trooper will commit felony assault and beat them toothless? I'll keep that in mind and have a lot more than my smartphone in my hand when I roll the window down then.

I love these "cops are badasses" responses we get here every once and a while. No doubt from a generation that grew up watching cop shows on TV.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:
Interesting, you are asserting that if a citizen suggests a trooper pulled the wrong car, the trooper will commit felony assault and beat them toothless? I'll keep that in mind and have a lot more than my smartphone in my hand when I roll the window down then.

I love these "cops are badasses" responses we get here every once and a while. No doubt from a generation that grew up watching cop shows on TV.
Well , whatever you've got in your hand, I'd give it a good greasing down first....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary