Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:38 PM

70 posts, read 141,460 times

Advertisements

I like Bellini's in Fuquay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:59 PM

206 posts, read 310,343 times
A lot of great opinions and a lot of places I look forward to trying! Y'all have had some amazing experiences! I never thought of a cooking class but I will look into it.

Someone mentioned calamari, when I was in Naples I tried calamari for the first time. It was friend and looked like onion rings. I thought I was getting the wrong thing, but it was rings of calamari. I sprinkled some lemon on it and it was so good!

The ball of mozzarella I got I don't think can be had here. I bought one at the grocery store and it looked the same as in Naples, floating in a milky liquid, but did not taste the same at all. I had it with cherry tomatoes and it was nothing like over there. I definitely need to go to Naples again!

Thanks again for all the tips everyone!

Old 12-20-2013, 04:00 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
My parents are (Mom passed) Italian immigrants. Since they were poverty stricken as children, food was the most important thing in their life. Even when we lived in the boroughs of NYC, they had small gardens. My father went on to open a restaurant in the Bronx and began what has since been widely imitated - that is "family style" Italian. Anyway, ingredients ARE the most important factor. We never ate canned or pre-packaged foods...it was a sin in my house. My father makes mozzarella, sausage, etc. My mother jarred her own tomato sauce. Seasonings were picked from the garden, as were zucchini,eggplant, string beans, all kinds of lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, figs,etc. Here is the interesting thing, though. They felt strongly that Italian food, at least the way they made it, is way better in NY than in Italy. Their opinion. The Italian chef who most resembles my family's style of cooking is Lidia.

I am a tough critic but not nearly as tough as them. I will try some of the suggestions mentioned but just so you know, Olive Garden does NOT count.

The first thing I noticed on the drive from the airport to downtown Milan was that it seemed like every apartment in the highrises that were visible had gardens crammed into their tiny balconies. Tomatoes and herbs galore. When I got to my hotel room I could look down into these gardens and see how creative they were to maximize their garden space. So, yeah, to your point...fresh ingredients are the key for proper Italiano food.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:04 PM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
This is one reason why the search for 'authentic' foods is always a bit misguided in my opinion. So much of it depends on the availability of ingredients.

It becomes a bit ridiculous, with people claiming that corned beef and bacon is 'authentic' Irish food for example.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:54 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Lubrano's in Morrisville

Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 PM

36 posts, read 46,894 times
Paisan's Italian Ristorante in Cary.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 AM

I've enjoyed my meals at Il Palio in Chapel Hill. Not a spaghetti and meatballs Italian kind of place. They have creative dishes with fresh local ingredients. $$$ and business dress at a minimum. GREAT wine selection and knowledgeable staff.

Chapel Hill Dining | Il Palio | Italian Restaurant Chapel Hill NC | AAA Four Diamond

Old 12-21-2013, 06:27 AM

34 posts, read 85,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
This discussion begins and ends with Bella Monica on Edwards Mill Rd. If you want more conversation, their restaurant that's owned in partnership with Empire Eats, Gravy is also pretty good.

I couldn't agree more. I have tried plenty but Bella Monica always blows the others away.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
My parents are (Mom passed) Italian immigrants. Since they were poverty stricken as children, food was the most important thing in their life. Even when we lived in the boroughs of NYC, they had small gardens. My father went on to open a restaurant in the Bronx and began what has since been widely imitated - that is "family style" Italian. Anyway, ingredients ARE the most important factor. We never ate canned or pre-packaged foods...it was a sin in my house. My father makes mozzarella, sausage, etc. My mother jarred her own tomato sauce. Seasonings were picked from the garden, as were zucchini,eggplant, string beans, all kinds of lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, figs,etc. Here is the interesting thing, though. They felt strongly that Italian food, at least the way they made it, is way better in NY than in Italy. Their opinion. The Italian chef who most resembles my family's style of cooking is Lidia.

I am a tough critic but not nearly as tough as them. I will try some of the suggestions mentioned but just so you know, Olive Garden does NOT count.
Love hearing stories like that. My grandparents were southern Italian immigrants who came to "Merica" penniless.

My grandfathers entire property was garden. He grew just about everything, including figs, peaches(for the wine) and tomatoes, lots of tomatoes. My grandmother would jar the sauce which would last until next growing season. She made her own pasta and dried it on every flat surface in the house. The only thing they bought from the store was meat, coffee and cheap soda that they used to cut the homemade wine.

It is tough to walk into an Italian restaurant and be impressed after eating my grandmother's cooking. Which is why i rarely go out to eat Italian. What passes for Italian in some places is not what Italian cooking is really about.

I will second the idea about attending a cooking class at Capri Flavors. Titina reminds me of my grandmother.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post

It is tough to walk into an Italian restaurant and be impressed after eating my grandmother's cooking. Which is why i rarely go out to eat Italian. What passes for Italian in some places is not what Italian cooking is really about.
100% this. I *never* order anything with tomato sauce at Italian restaurants. None of them come close to Grandma's sauce (or gravy depending on where you;re from). I enjoyed Vespa's in Cary when they were open. European portions and an attempt at traditional plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary