U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 PM

637 posts, read 399,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Yeah, they probably mean that most people are unwilling to pay the astronomical prices that they would charge if gigabit were available.
Their infrastructure costs would be high, especially considering the relatively small percentage of people willing to pay more for those speeds, so yes I expect it would be positioned as a premium service if they ever did offer it. I'm sure there are a lot of people folks who would love to fantasize about gigabit given to them free of charge, but when asked how that can realistically be accomplished you can hear a pin drop. Make bandwidth the job of the government and fund it with higher taxes? Taxpayers don't even want to pay for safe and efficient roads and bridges, it's hard for me to imagine them wanting taxes to cover their craving for more streaming movies.

What I would like to see is more competition, and that competition create its own downward price pressure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 07:07 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,009,288 times
So, screwing around with my Mohu yesterday, I accidentally discovered that I can receive tv signals through my old satellite dish that is still on the roof. Could not get all 20 channels that I get with the Mohu but maybe if I point it at the tower I would do better? Of course, that would mean getting up on the roof...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:29 AM

756 posts, read 476,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
What I would like to see is more competition, and that competition create its own downward price pressure.
That's the main reason that internet speeds are so low, yet prices are high. In most cities, you only have one or two options for internet (usually cable or DSL). Because of this monopoly, it gives ISPs no reason to try and compete.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 PM

637 posts, read 399,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
That's the main reason that internet speeds are so low, yet prices are high. In most cities, you only have one or two options for internet (usually cable or DSL). Because of this monopoly, it gives ISPs no reason to try and compete.
If barrier to entry wasn't so high, others would be all over it. The folks that actually have the money to build the infrastructure to compete are more interested in buying up the competition than building something new to compete with them.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 PM

472 posts, read 661,498 times
Haven't had cable in over ten years. When we moved to our latest home, the rabbit ears didn't work as well as they had in the past, so I made one of these. I didn't have any wire coat hangers, so I bought some wire. The whole thing took about 15 minutes to put together. We now get all of the local channels, and the ones that were kind of fuzzy (22, 28, 47) are perfect now.

The apparatus looks a little strange, but it's a great conversation piece

We also have a SmartTV and stream Netflix that way.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 AM

184 posts, read 185,959 times
just got my mohu curve yesterday! At first, I got only 18 channels, but then a changed the location/direction and got 27! some have weak signal but most are fine (HD and SD channels). Only issue for me is the current placement of the antenna, it's an eyesore!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 PM

2,461 posts, read 5,510,104 times
I finally cut the cord last month. I have an Antennas Direct 2V mounted in the attic and pull in 20+ OTA channels, some with much better resolution that I got using TWC's converter. FWIW, I live in NW Durham at about 35 miles from most of the towers. I tried a couple of set-top antennas, one of which was even amplified, but had no luck. Mounting this unamped one in the attic did the trick though! All I have now is this antenna, a Roku 3 (and a second one on the way) and an Amazon Prime subscription. Now that Roku has a YouTube app I don't need to add a Chomecast to the mix. So far the only thing I miss on occasion is ESPN, but that's a small trade-off for the $1000 per year I'm saving and the satisfaction that comes with only using TWC as an "agent" for my Road Runner internet service.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:14 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,319,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
So far the only thing I miss on occasion is ESPN, but that's a small trade-off for the $1000 per year I'm saving and the satisfaction that comes with only using TWC as an "agent" for my Road Runner internet service.
ESPN is the big thing that cable/dish operators have to keep subscribers that want the live sports.
Business Week has a nice article on the cost of the various channels.
2014 Outlook: Cable Bundling, and Higher Bills, Won't Stop Soon - Businessweek

Old 12-31-2013, 02:37 PM

184 posts, read 185,959 times
I disconnected my cable tv service yesterday and retained only my internet subscription for $64/mo (20mbps turbo). TWC called today and offered me to keep the basic cable tv (no cable box) + extreme internet (30mbps) for $67/mo for one year...

By the way, I was paying $127/mo for digital tier cable + turbo internet

Old 01-02-2014, 09:42 AM

19 posts, read 8,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I finally cancelled DirecTV this week after 10+ years and the Mohu arrives tomorrow. I am hoping I can stick it in the attic and drive 3 or 4 TVs off it. Plus Netflix, Amazon, MLBtv, etc. I have the Obihai for phone service, so that saves me a bunch too.

But now I am streaming so much stuff I need to increase my data speed...
Looks like we have the same setup. Netflix, Amazon Prime, MLB.TV, and a Mohu Leaf antenna. We've had this setup for a year (and everything other than the Mohu Leaf for two) and have not been disappointed. One note about the Mohu Leaf - you would be surprised just how much reception changes when you move it just a little bit. The other day I could not get NBC at all (wanted to watch Eagles vs. Cowboys). I moved the antenna less than three feet (had it in a corner, so just moved it to the other wall of the corner) and NBC came in perfectly. So make sure you experiment with location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary