Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 PM

97 posts, read 159,827 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move to the Raleigh area mid summer after our kids get out of school in the end of May(hoping for moving June/July). I'm an RN and am about to start the process to obtain my NC license, but I am not moving without a job.I will have about a year experience in Labor and Delivery when we move.

My question is...if we move mid summer in July/July, I'm sure we will have missed preschool registration? Our youngest is 4(will be 5 next Dec 2014) and we would like to put her in public prek. She's in a private prek 3 program right now, but we prefer public. Will we miss the cutoff for registering her? Any hope in getting her into a good program? Here, our public prek only takes X amount of students and the others are waitlisted.(but we also live in a smallish town of about 30k).

Thanks!

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:41 AM

494 posts, read 816,231 times
Is your child disabled or in the need of special education academically? Wake County Schools only offer Pre-K for those cases. WCPSS: Preschool Services

Wake County SmartStart

Registration is in the spring if you qualify for these programs.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:50 PM

No not at all. Really? I had no idea! We have public prek here in Louisiana for all children who are age 4 by Sept 30.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,678 times
Yea, I'm not aware of general public pre-k programs. Many private preschools offer a pre-k program, although my impression is that "pre-k" is a term most often used to describe a program for those children who did not enroll in kindergarten the year in which they were eligible. A child who turns 5 in Dec 2014 would have missed the cutoff for kindergarten and would therefore be in a traditional "fours" preschool class. Contrast this to a child who turns 5 in July 2014 and is eligible for kindergarten but whose parents choose to hold back a year. This child would then be in a "pre-k" program, assuming he/she attends one. This is my understanding at least.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,769 times
I am bummed to hear that NC doesnt have a pre-kindergarten program like they have here in FL. My sons bday is Oct so he missed out on the VPK program this year but next year would have been eligible but we are moving to NC Feb.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:40 PM

498 posts, read 854,125 times
Voltige explained it perfectly. And for private preschool, registration is generally at the end of January/beginning of February. If it's a popular place then it would most likely be full by the summer. There might be the odd spot left, but you can't count on that.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:16 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Voltige explained it perfectly. And for private preschool, registration is generally at the end of January/beginning of February. If it's a popular place then it would most likely be full by the summer. There might be the odd spot left, but you can't count on that.
In my experience this area is transient enough that spots on a waiting list open up regularly. Once you get here and find a program (or two or three) that you feel is a good fit, get on the waiting list. Your child might not get to start in Sept, but you have a good chance of being pulled into at least one of your options within a month or two.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I've always heard pre-k and preschool used interchangeably. My kids are 10 and 12 and it certainly was 6 years ago when the youngest was in pre-k at age 4.

There was a movement to expand the pre-k/preschool program in NC but it was shot down by the Republican legislature.

Check out Carolina Parent | Triangle Family Events, Kids Activities, Camps, Schools, Parenting Advice, Blogs and Resources in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary and Triangle, NC | CarolinaParent.com for resources on area preschools/pre-k programs.

And North Carolina Prekindergarten Program – NC Pre-K for more info on NC public pre-k.

Last edited by poppydog; 12-28-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM

Same here preschool and prek have always been used interchangeably here. right now, she is in a private, Christian preschool(that also operates as a daycare), and we pay 425$ a month for 725-530 so I was hoping she would be able to go into public prek like we have here.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
Is your child disabled or in the need of special education academically? Wake County Schools only offer Pre-K for those cases. WCPSS: Preschool Services

Wake County SmartStart

Registration is in the spring if you qualify for these programs.
I don't think that's the case with the NC Pre-K program. It is for folks who can't afford private preschool. It's on an income basis rather than special needs basis. I believe $50,000 a year for a family of 4 is the cut-off.

Last edited by poppydog; 12-30-2013 at 08:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary