Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,772 times

Advertisements

I'm new in town and have a few questions about quite a few topics, fairly diversified. Quite lengthy, I know. (Walking Distance Questions, Close Driving Directions, General Questions) Shed any light? Answer what you can when you can. Much appreciated

Walking Questions:

1. I'm living on the West side of Hargett St., are there any "walkable" grocery stores nearby? (Local, chain, anything). (Living near 500 Block)

2. Are there any walkable dives in the area? What bars should I check out? (where are there pool tables?, where's the best pool table?, 20 Blocks isn't too far) (Also, can you smoke in bars?)

3. I have a large dog. Whats the lowdown on Nash Square and Moore Square? (Cool with dogs?, tons of dogs?, any weekly events?, festivals?, are there many bums around? I don't mind bums, just wondering, whats it like at night?, any good dog parks where I can let her off the leash?)

4. I really enjoy live music, local and off the mainstream. What venues or bars in the area host bands? Anything walking distance from my area? I prefer walking when I can.

Driving Questions: (Within a couple a miles but maybe not as commutable on foot)

1. I saw a Fresh Market in Cameron Village while I was house hunting. How close to the 500 Block downtown area is that? Anything similar near by? (Whole Foods, Publix, Fresh Market, etc)

2. Whats the best route to RTP in the mornings?

General Questions: (I need to find these places before mid January, walk or drive)

1. Local Veterinarian.

2. Physician, local Doc for myself

3. Dog Walkers? What are your thoughts, any local reputable walkers for the 9-5'rs?

A little about myself: Mid Twenties Male. I found a job in town, moving to the West side of Hargett (near the 500 Block). I poured liquor for a living in college at a local dive and really enjoy that kind of atmosphere. I like a low key dive with good music and a pool table. I like mostly all music, I like to travel for shows and festivals (not a big fan of new rap, not a fan of country music) I have a 4 year old Lab and I like being able to walk everywhere, buying local when I can.

Much Appreciated,

TigerinTown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Welcome!

Make sure you check out this thread >>> http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

Also, there are many dives near you downtown.

The "Dive Bar" (that's the name) is about 5 or 6 blocks from you. It's quaint. Live Music. Interesting characters. Can't recall if a pool table was in there. I don't think so. Think you'd like it.

The Dive Bar in the United States area on the A-List

Kings Barcade (a longtime tradition for bar hoppers who enjoy live bands)

Kings

Slims (another longtime tradition for bar hoppers who enjoy live bands)

Slims Downtown :: Raleigh, NC :: 919.833.6557

All of the aforementioned are near you.

Festivals, events and activities are often going on in Moore. Especially during the spring and summer. One thing I used to get upset with, selfishly so, was that nearly every other weekend I couldn't find parking downtown because there was an event going on.

Moore Sq. also is the defacto meeting ground/hangout spot for some of Raleigh's homeless. They're cool. Just remain alert, as you should anywhere downtown... especially after dark.

It's fascinating because often Moore square is where the world's collide. Privileged revelers whom often denounce society via chic "rebellion" meet society's denounced. Interesting dynamic. I wanna produce a short doc on it.

Nash Square has more formal events.

Pick up an Independent Weekly newspaper ASAP. As for now, the Web site should hold you over:

Indy Week

Below you'll find one of my favorite blogs about the happenings in Raleigh... after providing much great information for quite sometime, it shut down recently. But the site is still up with archived information you might still be able to read.

Raleigh News Blog | New Raleigh

Here's an active downtown blog...Not to familiar with it, but your post prompted a search since I can't read newraleigh anymore. Looks pretty good.

The Raleigh Connoisseur - A Downtown Raleigh Blog

There used to be a grocery store in downtown Raleigh if I'm not mistaken. There have been talks ad nauseam about bringing a community grocer to Raleigh's downtown. I think one is in the works.

Cam Village can be a bit of a hike from Hargett if you're not an avid walker. Easily a 15-20 minute walk. It's definitely bike-able. Don't sleep on public transit. Cheap, accessible... usually on time. And if you have a bike, you can always put your bike on the holder in front of the bus.

40 is the conventional way to RTP.

Can't address the other questions...

Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Have you checked out the downtown Raleigh website? It has maps of nightlife spots, dining, etc. Explore Here :: Nightlife :: Downtown Raleigh

Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I'll add some quick notes.

No, you cannot smoke indoors in NC in places that are available to the public. The only exceptions to this rule include specified cigar bars and (I think) hookah bars. Private country clubs, Masons' clubs, etc. may, at their choosing, allow smoking indoors. The definition of private club does not include "private nightclubs" that are essentially open to anyone in the public who pays a nominal fee to "join".

Cameron Village also has a Harris Teeter grocery store. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are not too far away but neither is walkable. Raleigh does not yet have Publix but there is talk of adding one to North Raleigh in the not too distant future.

You'll love Hopscotch Music Festival that occurs each Fall. There are also lots of live venues from small to the RedHat Amphitheater next to the convention center.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:53 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times
If you have a car, a bunch of us CD'ers are huge fans of Magnolia Animal Hospital on Capital Blvd. WONDERFUL vets (especially Dr. John but you really can't go wrong; I personally love Dr. Cindy!), and great prices, too.

Check out the R Line. You could take that to Glenwood South and walk to Fresh Market from there. I wouldn't walk it from where you're living. There is a Whole Foods on Wade Ave but you'd need to drive (or take a bus) there.

You can't off leash your dog in Moore Square of Nash Square but def. take her for a walk both places. Yes, there are homeless people there, but I have walked through both by myself, a female, many times during the day and they are very harmless . I don't know about night though because I'm not downtown at night.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
The Dive bar is no more.. The Maywood down the block has kinda taken over that crowd and added some new ones. Great live music. Please don't take as an insult but your post portrays the stereotypical Oak City hustler so you'll fit right in. Downtown is very dog friendly,bar mentioned included. The smoking isn't onside but most places have patios built to accomadate that. Good luck

Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
It is hard for me to understand how you do not have answers to many of your questions when you indicate you were here house hunting. Sounds more like questions from someone who found a place to live through the internet without ever setting foot in downtown Raleigh. Does "Tiger" in your screen name come from being a Detroit Tiger fan? Good luck on your move to downtown Raleigh!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
The Dive bar is no more...
really... I just saw people in there about three months ago?!

And if this is the Cyn who I think it is, then I think I know you!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:23 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Please don't take as an insult but your post portrays the stereotypical Oak City hustler
Would that be the male Triangle equivalent to a Lincoln Park Trixie?

Old 12-29-2013, 06:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
1. No. The cameron village whole foods is closest. Check that RLine, which will be a great way for you to get around downtown.

2. Smoking ? Answered. No. Many dive bars, and slims also has a pool table upstairs. Lucky b's had table last time i was there. The Office Tavern is a good hole in the wall.

3. oakwood dog park, other side of downtown to you

4. Plenty of places around you. As noted, the Indy will give lots of details

Vet - hayes barton animal hospital or oberlin rd animahl hospital are convenient and good options.

Doc for you - have to double-check against your insurance carrier.

Dog walkers are a pretty new phenomenon here vs more urban areas. Makes one ponder if a viable business could be had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary