Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
I have seen a couple of snakes in Madison.
With all those small lakes near Madison, I would be VERY surprized if you didn't.

The US is just not Ireland...we have snakes....lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 02:32 PM

24 posts, read 73,838 times
Look on the bright side, if there was a snake in there, that apartment no longer has rodents of any kind. Possibly no bugs either, depending on the type of snake it was. And trust me, he'll have been a lot more afraid of you and wanting to stay out of your way, than you were of him.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:34 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
If it helps, I haven't seen any since I moved here in May, so maybe it was a one-time thing. I did have a lizard in my apartment the first week, though.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
I was pretty worried about the snake thing when we moved here too. But, we've only seen one...at a lake on a nature hike...so that was to be expected and okay. We've been outside constantly and bought a house that backs to over an acre of forest and have seen only that one. I can live with that.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 PM

551 posts, read 1,875,647 times
My daughter and I were out walking in Bedford a little after dark and saw a small black snake. I think they are interesting. I have seen rattlesnakes out hiking and they are a little scary. We rented a cabin in Pennsylvania and there was a rattlesnake in the living room. I also saw one on the golf course in Tampa. I was walking on the C&O canal path near Washington DC and there was a copperhead stretched across the path -- scary. I was hiking in the Smokies, stepped off the trail to p, and looked down and saw a copperhead. Sorry for stupid post, just sharing snake experiences. Seriously, they are a much lower threat to humans than rodents.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
I saw 2 garden snakes this summer, 1 dead on the curb in front of our house and 1 hiding under the groundcover in the backyard. Also saw 2 snake skins that had been shed up against the foundation in the front of our house. Our neighbors saw a rattler in the street in front of their house last summer. I wouldn't NOT rent an apt just because of a snake.

There ARE snakes in Milwaukee, WI although no poisonous snakes. I have family not too far south of Milwaukee and they have snakes.

JS Online: Water, snakes delay hospital (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=406926 - broken link)
Queen Snake - WDNR (there is a link on this site so you can order the book Snakes of Wisconsin)

Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
I would be startled, but not extremely surprised. We live with nature, so things like bugs and spiders and creepy crawlies are going to be around. When I first moved to NC, we had these tiny brown snakes that would hang out in the planterbox outside the office. Sometimes, one would follow someone into the office and crawl around our cubicles. No biggie. I don't think they are poisonous.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 11,638 times
Snakes don't like mothballs. Spread some mothballs around, tolerate the smell for a while and they're out-a-there.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM

233 posts, read 860,631 times
Just make sure you are familiar with what the local venemous snakes are, Copperheads are the most prevelant of the venemous ones in this area. They are a very pretty snake, as far as colors and its pattern go. For the most part it is safe to identify a venemous snake by the shape of its head (if you can get that close to it), they have more of a triangular shaped head vs. oval/rounded shape because of the venom pits on each side of its head.

Do you homework and familiarize yourself with what the local snake population looks like and you'll be fine. The most common snakes are black rat snakes, king snakes, and the red-bellied water snake.

I come from Massachusetts and all we ever used to see were the little green garter snakes... so moving here and seeing bigger snakes was quite a shock to me. Thanks to my DH I also have 5 snakes for pets now, 2 ball pythons, 2 corn snakes, and a red-tail boad. So I guess its safe to say I've gotten over my fear of snakes

Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM

14 posts, read 109,648 times
that's scary! i would address the issue with the apartment management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary