Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times

Advertisements

The fence is really worth it. My dog is much the same in that we go on good walks, but I really feel like she needs that off leash time at the end because she loves to run. I don't have a large backyard, but it's sloped, so she gets pretty tired out. My dog isn't a good dog park dog, unfortunately, so a fenced yard is a must for us. But, there are a lot of good dog parks around, and a lot of good doggie day cares too.

We sometimes have issues with off leash dogs (in fact my dog just got attacked AGAIN a few weeks ago, but no blood was drawn). It's a huge fear of mine and it's made me more reactive than my dog is, but I can't really find a solution - can't give up the walks.

Most people in my neighborhood pick up the poop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,907 times
In a sort of related topic since we are moving from Fl to Raleigh soon, do you have to get a license for your dog? Is your rabies shots required yearly? Thanks

Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
yes and yes.

And yes to fences and walks both. Our dog needs a LOT of exercise. Can't imagine having a high energy dog like this and not letting her be off leash in the backyard to play fetch. She's not good dog park material, either.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
In a sort of related topic since we are moving from Fl to Raleigh soon, do you have to get a license for your dog? Is your rabies shots required yearly? Thanks
First rabies shot is for a year, then they can get the 3 year shot.
I don't think dogs are licensed or taxed in Raleigh..

Old 01-02-2014, 10:34 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Do not have a yard, so I take dog to camp certain days of the week. Walk a lot on of days.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
On that note, does anyone have a recommendation for a doggie day camp that solidly temperament tests and has appropriate play groups? Dog parks are out because after off leash dog attacks I'm more reactive than my dog, and I accept that I'm part of the problem. My dog loves other dogs but isn't a fan of them jumping on her head. I think she's better when I'm not there :-/

Anyway, I did take her to one in Charlotte when I was there last summer, and she played well with a small group of similar dogs. If I could find something here that would be great for her socialization. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:26 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
We take ours to Camp Canine in Cary for overnight stays and a day every other week of day camp and they separate them into at least three groups for play. They also will move dogs up or down a group if they play "bigger" or "smaller" than their size.

www.campcanine.com

Old 01-03-2014, 07:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
First rabies shot is for a year, then they can get the 3 year shot.
I don't think dogs are licensed or taxed in Raleigh..
You are right, Kelly. I had to look it up, but Raleigh stopped requiring pet licenses in 2012. RALEIGH: In cost-saving move, Raleigh ends pet licensing | News | NewsObserver.com

They are required in Chapel Hill, not sure about Durham.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 AM

454 posts, read 495,518 times
I recently adopted a dog down here and found out that Cary and Durham require licenses but Morrisville (in Wake County like Raleigh) do not require it.

I have a decent sized back yard but my 3 english bulldogs have the view of "outside bad, inside good" LOL If I took them to a dog park, they'd probably faint within 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary