Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 10:39 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Here you go...results just back...55.2% Irish, Scottish and Welsh, 29.7 English, 5.2 Finnish, 3.8 Italian, 2.6 Iberian, 2.4 Ashkenazi Jewish, 1.1 Kenyan.
Wow! That seems quick! And what did you think it would come back as? Mostly Anglo with a couple of interesting blood lines. With the Iberian I would have thought Sephardic Jew, not Ashkenazi. Very Interesting!

My mom and her brother both took the Ancestry DNA test and they were both a little different from each other - I guess it depends on what DNA you are passed down.

Thanks for sharing your results!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm afraid to do it.
My brother learned that he is high in the 90's percentile for Neanderthal DNA...
Truly, he did.

And, I am willing to not let him forget it.

In that case, I wouldn't take the test. Wouldn't want to learn too much about myself!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
L0L My brother and sister didn't believe the results. They each ordered the test kit themselves
My mom and her brother took the Ancestry DNA test and sent them in together - they had some similar results but some different too. It just depends what DNA gets passed down and how good looking the milk man was
My Uncle has always teased my mom about being adopted - unfortunately, there is no denying their relationship. They couldn't look any more alike.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Wow! That seems quick! And what did you think it would come back as? Mostly Anglo with a couple of interesting blood lines.
I was looking some Native American. My aunt has sworn all her life that great great granny Stallings was a Cherokee woman. I've seen photos of her, and she did look Native American to me, but I guess she wasn't after all. So...what was she Looking forward to comparing mine to my brother and sister.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I was looking some Native American. My aunt has sworn all her life that great great granny Stallings was a Cherokee woman. I've seen photos of her, and she did look Native American to me, but I guess she wasn't after all. So...what was she Looking forward to comparing mine to my brother and sister.
It will be interesting to see the differences between you and your siblings. I always thought the Cherokees looked to be more Euro-Asian looking than other Native Americans. I am sure that DNA tests have been done and they aren't, but I always thought the Cherokee somewhat Euro-Asian. Or is that Eurasian?

Old 07-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
It will be interesting to see the differences between you and your siblings.
Should be interesting for sure.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:54 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Maybe I'm missing a facetious undertone or something else....but unless they are step-siblings or half-siblings.... how could your siblings genetic ancestry results be different from yours?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Maybe I'm missing a facetious undertone or something else....but unless they are step-siblings or half-siblings.... how could your siblings genetic ancestry results be different from yours?
Seems to reason they'd be exactly the same...but what if they're not. They'll each be using different companies other than mine to compare.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Just because you are siblings does not mean you share the same DNA, unless you are an identical twin. Each child receives half of their chromosomes from one parent and half from the other. Not every child receives the same chromosomes from the same parents. That is why you may have different hair or eye colors.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Let's say that your mom's mother is from Ireland and her father is from Germany, so half her dna will show up as Ireland and half will show up as Germany because she gets half her genes from her mom and half from her dad. Then your mom marries your father who had a Mexcian father and a Chinese mother, so half his dna is Mexican and half is Chinese. And then they have you and your sister.

Now you are going to get half your genes from your mom and half from your dad, right? So you might expect that you'd have 25% Irish, 25% German, 25% Mexican, and 25% Chinese, right? And that's approximately correct. But in reality, it wouldn't split out exactly that way. Just because you are getting half the genes from your mom, doesn't mean you are going to get an exact even split of Irish and German genes.

Remember that her genes from both parents represent her makeup, and you inherit 50% of them, but it's not necessarily in the exact same ratio that she got them from her mother and father, and you don't know which 50% of the genes that she has you will inherit. You might actually inherit 30% of the Irish genes and 20% of the German genes. And from your dad, you might get 30% of his Chinese genes and 20% of his Mexican ones. So even though you are technically one quarter of each nationality, your genetic makeup might be slightly different. Your sister, on the other hand, might end up with 28% German, 22% Irish, 26% Mexican, and 24% Chinese, so it would be slightly different than yours. And as the generations continue, you can imagine how siblings could be even more drastically different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary