Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 08:05 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

We used to have a regular family of bluebirds in our bluebird house on our deck, which is actually very wooded, but we back up to an open field, so they weren't too far from that. They came back year after year until one off season a flying squirrel took up residence and chewed the hole bigger. I put a piece of scrap wood over the top of the front with the right sized opening, but more critters messed with it. I finally broke down and got a special metal bluebird house opening ring like a big metal washer and screwed that to the front so nobody else would mess with it any more. I think wrens nested in it last year, but that was still nice.

One other tip on your bluebird house is to have the opening facing east. Apparently they prefer the morning sun. I didn't know that and just got lucky on my placement. Haven't had any snakes on the deck (it's effectively a second-story deck as our house is on a slope), but black snakes in particular do like bird eggs and hatchlings. Other than that black snakes are great and will help keep copperheads down around the house (by eating all the prey), but they do like baby birds .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
I was craving BBQ last night for dinner so I made the trip out to City Barbecue over in Cary. Food was surprisingly good and the atmosphere was nice too. Reminded me of the Texas BBQ places all around Austin when I lived there. I'm fortunate to live in a city with a great BBQ option!

Old 01-19-2018, 12:08 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I was craving BBQ last night for dinner so I made the trip out to City Barbecue over in Cary. Food was surprisingly good and the atmosphere was nice too. Reminded me of the Texas BBQ places all around Austin when I lived there. I'm fortunate to live in a city with a great BBQ option!
It really has that Texas flare to it ... it’s not really indicative of N.C. barbecue at all. But it is really good. This is blasphemous but it think Memphis, Texas, St. Louis styles and methods of bbq’ing meats are tastier . *shrugs*

Old 01-19-2018, 12:13 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
It really has that Texas flare to it ... it’s not really indicative of N.C. barbecue at all. But it is really good. This is blasphemous but it think Memphis, Texas, St. Louis styles and methods of bbq’ing meats are tastier . *shrugs*
Got any recommendations for NC-style BBQ? I'd like to try.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Got any recommendations for NC-style BBQ? I'd like to try.
There are countless threads on here about N.C. BBQ. One of the more recent ones ...

BBQ joints

Old 01-19-2018, 12:39 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
We used to have a regular family of bluebirds in our bluebird house on our deck, which is actually very wooded, but we back up to an open field, so they weren't too far from that. They came back year after year until one off season a flying squirrel took up residence and chewed the hole bigger. I put a piece of scrap wood over the top of the front with the right sized opening, but more critters messed with it. I finally broke down and got a special metal bluebird house opening ring like a big metal washer and screwed that to the front so nobody else would mess with it any more. I think wrens nested in it last year, but that was still nice.

One other tip on your bluebird house is to have the opening facing east. Apparently they prefer the morning sun. I didn't know that and just got lucky on my placement. Haven't had any snakes on the deck (it's effectively a second-story deck as our house is on a slope), but black snakes in particular do like bird eggs and hatchlings. Other than that black snakes are great and will help keep copperheads down around the house (by eating all the prey), but they do like baby birds .

Good info, thanks. I think as long as that metal opening keeps out invasive birds like House Sparrows and Starlings, you're golden. Those are the only nests I'd remove if I found them around our old house, since those birds are not native and squeezing out native birds.

I had American Robins and Blue Jays nest in my back yard each year and we'd find the babies in the grass and bushes because they'd fledge the nest but not be able to fly over the fence. We always kept a safe haven in the backyard. I really miss that.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:42 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
I forgot how tiring job searching could be. Between doing company research, editing my resume, writing a cover letter, and today I updated my sadly neglected LinkedIn profile, I'm pretty wiped. And I haven't left the couch in hours.

It's 2:40 and I just realized I forgot to eat lunch too.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I forgot how tiring job searching could be. Between doing company research, editing my resume, writing a cover letter, and today I updated my sadly neglected LinkedIn profile, I'm pretty wiped. And I haven't left the couch in hours.

It's 2:40 and I just realized I forgot to eat lunch too.
It’s really a job in and of itself .

Old 01-20-2018, 06:38 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
Can one of the Cary, Apex or Wake Forest members see if Publix still has their Caramel Coast Getaway Ice Cream in stock?

I might have to go out to Publix this week if they do.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 01-20-2018 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-20-2018, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 3,974 times
Hillsborough St. in downtown Raleigh continues to look like it was bombed by the Luftwaffe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary