Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 01:20 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Should we warn the neighbors?!!
It's enclosed, three sided attached to the house no top...extra tall to accommodate my height. I guess Google Earth might come into play some day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 01:29 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I've noticed that most (not all) of the people that love summer don't have to work in it...
Worked in it most all of my 64 years. I fought fire in it for 30 years. Still love working outside in it. I think that most people who hate it work inside.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Worked in it most all of my 64 years. I fought fire in it for 30 years. Still love working outside in it. I think that most people who hate it work inside.
That makes a lot of sense - I always think it's the change in temp/humidity more than the temp/humidity. I remember seeing runners in FL run during their lunch hour - in July. Not for me but the body definitely acclimates.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:44 PM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
All this talk of heat is making me wonder how my children will take to the heat there. I suspect I won't like it all that much! It was a scorching hot day here today - about 75 degrees lol. Will we be able to swim in the middle of the day or will it be too hot for them? will we have to limit our swimming in the pool at the apartments to early morning and later on in the day? I have been in hot climates many times before but I can't really imagine it right now - 11pm and really quite chilly :-) What do kids do there all day long when it is so hot?

Old 06-21-2014, 05:07 PM

190 posts, read 276,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
All this talk of heat is making me wonder how my children will take to the heat there. I suspect I won't like it all that much! It was a scorching hot day here today - about 75 degrees lol. Will we be able to swim in the middle of the day or will it be too hot for them? will we have to limit our swimming in the pool at the apartments to early morning and later on in the day? I have been in hot climates many times before but I can't really imagine it right now - 11pm and really quite chilly :-) What do kids do there all day long when it is so hot?
You can see how 'RecentlyMoved' felt about the heat coming from NY.

If you're coming from England and feel that 80 degrees w/ sunshine is sweltering... the heat will probably be a shock to you. Especially if you come here in the height of summer.

If your children don't have any health conditions then they should be fine. Millions of kids have grown up in hot climates playing outside during the summer time. Just make sure they stay hydrated, wear appropriate clothes, protect their skin, and know when to rest.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
obviously you did no research about the situation here in N.C. Most people look at important things like that before they make a move.
We can't work out all the taxes there - we have absolutely no idea how much tax we will be paying -it's not always straight forward! Maybe it is for an American though.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post
You can see how 'RecentlyMoved' felt about the heat coming from NY.

If you're coming from England and feel that 80 degrees w/ sunshine is sweltering... the heat will probably be a shock to you. Especially if you come here in the height of summer.

If your children don't have any health conditions then they should be fine. Millions of kids have grown up in hot climates playing outside during the summer time. Just make sure they stay hydrated, wear appropriate clothes, protect their skin, and know when to rest.
We will arrive on 14 July so it will be a bit of a shock to them but you are right - they will probably adapt easier than adults. We were in Orlando once in July/August - is it hotter down there or in the Triangle or roughly the same?

Old 06-22-2014, 06:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
We will arrive on 14 July so it will be a bit of a shock to them but you are right - they will probably adapt easier than adults. We were in Orlando once in July/August - is it hotter down there or in the Triangle or roughly the same?
It is very hot here in July/August as it is in FL.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Bring your sunblock. I try to stay out of the sun and keep my kids out of it at the height of the day. It's not going to be too hot for swimming - it's not hot enough to boil the pool water but the sun is very strong. Way stronger than you are used to.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
We landed back home here at RDU last night and the humidity felt wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary