Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 05:13 PM

4,535 posts, read 3,738,912 times

Advertisements

As we get older, can't handle the cold and extreme heat of the screened porch in NC. Any good local or at least regional businesses around the Triangle that can help convert a screened deck to a 3 season room? Many times, I'm finding these huge businesses that are all over the country and would rather deal with a locally owned business.

Also, I attached a photo and is this type of deck easy to convert to a 3 season room? Those screened openings seem very large, would you need Easy Breeze windows for something that large? What about the bottom part, can do fixed windows? And the triangle parts at the top of the roof? The door can just be replaced with another insulated door.

How about the floor - it's a standard wood deck with a screen on the bottom to keep out bugs. How do these businesses put a floor and what type - on top? Just want to be knowledgeable before ppl starting giving me ridiculous quotes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 08:39 PM

4,157 posts, read 4,871,146 times
I don't think you'll find the answers you're looking for on this forum and it would be best to call a few contractors and see what they recommend. But from what I can see that won't be an easy retrofit without some major reconstruction so you may find that contractors aren't interested in doing the work on the cheap side but you'll never know unless you get some quotes.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:22 AM

11,220 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I don't think you'll find the answers you're looking for on this forum and it would be best to call a few contractors and see what they recommend. But from what I can see that won't be an easy retrofit without some major reconstruction so you may find that contractors aren't interested in doing the work on the cheap side but you'll never know unless you get some quotes.
Agree, and I'll add that you might check your local NextDoor feed for recommendations. It will be more localized to you, and from people who are in your neighborhood. I've had good luck "narrowing down" my choices on projects taking this approach. I'll usually have a minimum of three quotes to evaluate, and then go from there.

^^We are replacing our fence soon, and after that, we are looking at a similar project as OP, so I'm following this discussion carefully. (Our patio is not even screened in, so I'm going in with open ears and mind, and I'm ready to hear that it will not be an upgrade, but rather a complete tear-down and replace.)

Old 01-09-2024, 07:36 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
As we get older, can't handle the cold and extreme heat of the screened porch in NC. Any good local or at least regional businesses around the Triangle that can help convert a screened deck to a 3 season room? Many times, I'm finding these huge businesses that are all over the country and would rather deal with a locally owned business.

Also, I attached a photo and is this type of deck easy to convert to a 3 season room? Those screened openings seem very large, would you need Easy Breeze windows for something that large? What about the bottom part, can do fixed windows? And the triangle parts at the top of the roof? The door can just be replaced with another insulated door.

How about the floor - it's a standard wood deck with a screen on the bottom to keep out bugs. How do these businesses put a floor and what type - on top? Just want to be knowledgeable before ppl starting giving me ridiculous quotes.

Too bad. It is a lovely porch.
Don't assume that a whole lot of the structure will be appropriate for a sunroom.
*Floor loading may be different.
*Insulating the roof will most likely require some demolition to provide adequate access and depth of insulation.
*Installing walls and windows will require addressing wind load.
I would strongly consider using quality sliding patio doors as glazing rather than windows. Excellent ventilation when the weather is suitable, and excellent visibility through them.

1. Go to the Raleigh Spring Home Show next month. There will be general contractors you can chat with.
Take a few outside photos of the porch with you.

https://www.raleighspringshow.com/

I would talk to this guy whether at the Downtown Show or just call him out. He works with decent pricing and integrity. He is not a blowhard like some GCs are:
https://gdoubleconstruction.com/
I would suggest you make contact before the Show, actually. If the Convention Center is jammed, he may not have time to give you attention you deserve. Maybe get him out to your house and go to the Show just to touch base and say, "Hi."
We almost used Gary for a small addition that I drew up. I never followed through, when I decided I did not like my design for our house. We may come back around in a year or two with a different design. If so, I will surely call him.

2. The same promoters are the owners of the Southern Ideal Home Show, in April, but I think you will see more GCs at the Downtown Show, and you will be 2 months ahead of the guys at the Jim Graham building.
https://www.raleighfairgroundshomeandgardenshow.com/

Be patient. Good contractors are heavily booked. Bums are always available until they don't show up.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-09-2024 at 07:46 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 10:55 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We almost used Gary for a small addition that I drew up. I never followed through, when I decided I did not like my design for our house. We may come back around in a year or two with a different design. If so, I will surely call him.
I had Gary build a stand-alone garage for me a year or two ago. I told him what I wanted. He drew a sketch and we went from there. As with any project, there was a minor hiccup or two, but in the end I got a quality product at a fair price.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:02 PM

52 posts, read 129,792 times
We used Gary for our screened porch to 3 season room a couple years ago and we ABSOLUTELY love it. I won't lie and say it was seamless - but ultimately Gary came through on everything. Our porch is over our walkout basement and looks very similar to yours. We put tile (that looks like hardwood) down and Gary insulated underneath. We put in EZ Breeze windows and added a "shelf" for rope lighting. We invested in a super comfy couch and now our family fights over this space most nights. We have a portable heater for the winter that works really well. We only avoid it on the hottest days in the summer. I'm sitting in this space right now and it is 100% my happy place and favorite room in our house - make the investment, it's totally worth it!!!

Old 01-28-2024, 10:40 AM

4,535 posts, read 3,738,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Agree, and I'll add that you might check your local NextDoor feed for recommendations. It will be more localized to you, and from people who are in your neighborhood. I've had good luck "narrowing down" my choices on projects taking this approach. I'll usually have a minimum of three quotes to evaluate, and then go from there.

^^We are replacing our fence soon, and after that, we are looking at a similar project as OP, so I'm following this discussion carefully. (Our patio is not even screened in, so I'm going in with open ears and mind, and I'm ready to hear that it will not be an upgrade, but rather a complete tear-down and replace.)

So we called several companies in the Triangle area and they all had different suggestions (similar but with enough variations among them). I called Patio Enclosures, Window Depot, GDouble construction, and Patio Conversions.

EZ Breeze windows are large enough that I would not have to do any framing work at all. For glass windows, the mid-railing I have in the photo would have to be raised 10 inches, since they don't make glass windows that large. Plexiglass for the triangle windows at the top. For both types, the pickets at the bottom would be removed and picture windows there, sliders at the top.

They all said many people leave the wood deck floor as is, but many opt to do indoor/outdoor carpet or tile. To put either carpet or tile, they would build a subfloor on top of the wood deck which includes the vapor barrier and insulation.

All of them said they have converted all types of screened porches in the area into "3 season" or "4 season" rooms with no issues.

G Double construction and Window Depot were the most reasonable in price. Patio Enclosures and Patio Conversions did the same thing, but were several thousand more.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:28 AM

52 posts, read 129,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
So we called several companies in the Triangle area and they all had different suggestions (similar but with enough variations among them). I called Patio Enclosures, Window Depot, GDouble construction, and Patio Conversions.

EZ Breeze windows are large enough that I would not have to do any framing work at all. For glass windows, the mid-railing I have in the photo would have to be raised 10 inches, since they don't make glass windows that large. Plexiglass for the triangle windows at the top. For both types, the pickets at the bottom would be removed and picture windows there, sliders at the top.

They all said many people leave the wood deck floor as is, but many opt to do indoor/outdoor carpet or tile. To put either carpet or tile, they would build a subfloor on top of the wood deck which includes the vapor barrier and insulation.

All of them said they have converted all types of screened porches in the area into "3 season" or "4 season" rooms with no issues.

G Double construction and Window Depot were the most reasonable in price. Patio Enclosures and Patio Conversions did the same thing, but were several thousand more.

We loved the EZ Breeze option for the reason you mentioned - no framing work. We put tile above our deck floor and I highly recommend doing that. We chose tile that looks like hardwood and love it. We have a small portable heater that gives out enough heat to sit out there pretty comfortably during the winter most nights. An area rug would help but we like the way the floors look too much to cover them. Good luck with whoever you decide to go with!

Old 04-02-2024, 11:28 AM

65 posts, read 23,875 times
Would a project like this or something similar need a permit from town of Cary? Or needs an inspector to come out after the contractor is done? The descriptions on the website are vague. The roof is already here for my sister's house, so maybe only some framing work to put windows in. Room will not be conditioned/heated. That doesn't seem like you need a permit.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:48 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniakea2MASS View Post
Would a project like this or something similar need a permit from town of Cary? Or needs an inspector to come out after the contractor is done? The descriptions on the website are vague. The roof is already here for my sister's house, so maybe only some framing work to put windows in. Room will not be conditioned/heated. That doesn't seem like you need a permit.
Yes, you will need a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary