Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times

Advertisements

People on the NC forums do get a little cranky to be asked "Where are the good schools" and "What are the odds of finding work". It's an immigration state and these questions get asked repeatedly. This forum goes back for years. Lots of good info here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 AM

420 posts, read 451,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
People on the NC forums do get a little cranky to be asked "Where are the good schools" and "What are the odds of finding work". It's an immigration state and these questions get asked repeatedly. This forum goes back for years. Lots of good info here.
I have found the above to be true. No one means any disrespect to you. A lot of "the regulars" on this city-data speak from years of experience in observing what has occurred with the huge influx of transplants. The thread at the top of this forum is there for the all the "beginner" questions. Please know that people who have been here a long time have seen many move here thinking it was the answer to all their woes and the reality can be disheartening. The "reality" that I am referring to is that there are not enough jobs to support all the transplants and the ones that exist are often low paying compared to NY wages. The main area where ppl find an advantage is the cost of housing. otherwise, day to day cost of living is comparable. However, if you gonna pay a lot less in rent but also make a lot less, is it worth a move? Many NY'ers sell their homes there; come down here, pay a lot less for a home and then bank some money...all great if they secure employment here too.

I came here almost two years ago (had visited thought) and I LOVE it...cannot say enough good things about it. It works for my life and my situation. There are negatives though. It takes a lot of research on your part (i.e. Reading this forum) to decide if moving here would be good in reality or if it's just a fantasy based on some of what you've heard, read or seen about NC.

Just my two cents.
Good luck.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinky223 View Post
Frankly just from this post alone I don't think the whole " in the south we have manners" attitude is true. To be honest I am feeling NC less and less if these are the type of attitudes I will encounter. For that I stay right here.
I think you are getting too upset over replies you have gotten from a few people on a message board.

Francois is correct, you should visit the area before making such a big life decision.
With regard to jobs, there are some, depending on your area of expertise. Of course, it is very competitive. That's not to say that you won't be the one to find that great job.

Your overall experience and perspective on a new area is going to be closely tied with your job situation. Take the advice people are giving and assess your ability to find a job prior to moving.

In general, people in the Raleigh/Durham area are more polite. Much of this can be attributed to the slower pace when compared to NYC. Beyond that, people are pretty much the same everywhere.

Schools here are okay. Depending on where you are coming from, they may be better or worse. Again, do your research and visit the schools. Most will be happy to answer your questions.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Frankly just from this post alone I don't think the whole " in the south we have manners" attitude is true. To be honest I am feeling NC less and less if these are the type of attitudes I will encounter. For that I stay right here.
Good - I don't think you will like it here. You would definitely be one of those who comes here and complains that it isn't "just like home but cheaper". You're saving yourself a lot of time and heartache crossing it off your list without even visiting, or worse moving sight unseen!

In all honesty, a move to this place works best for people who can sell a house and move here with some money, who have a high paying job or prospects for same. You'll probably find yourself in a nicer apartment, with better amenities, better schools than NYC, yes better weather...but in the same financial position you are now. The fact that it's a whole lot nicer here may mean it's a better move for you but something tells me you won't adjust so easily.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:38 AM

494 posts, read 816,231 times
Like the others mentioned, the sticky thread is the place to look for answers to your general questions. http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html There are lots of threads in the sticky about New Yorkers who moved to the area.

North Carolina still gets cold so if weather is your criteria you might want to look at other states. Every area has positives and negatives. People just need to figure out where is the best location for them.

Living in the area is more expensive for me than where I moved from as housing is more and my auto insurance went up. But I needed work so I made four visits to this area and some to other places as well. Cary was the place to move on paper but it wasn't for me and I ended up in Wake Forest. I secured a job before finalizing my move too. I am very happy here but I did my homework. My neighbors moved without visiting and the area isn't for them.

Whether this area is for you, we can't tell you that as it is something you need to figure out yourself. Best of luck with your relocation.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I would not move to a new place with a child and no jobs. Not unless I was prepared to move again if I couldn't find work AND I had about a years' worth of living expenses saved up.

Unless you are homeless right now, I don't know why you'd want to move here just for something like "weather."

Most people who post here looking to move generally have either a lot of money saved, family here, a job lined up already, or are retiring to the area.

Every time there is a big winter storm up north, we seem to get lots on interest in this area,

Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
My husband's family (his mother is a native New Yorker and his father is from DC) moved to Raleigh from Ohio for warmer climates and Southern hospitality when he was a teenager, so about 11 years ago.

The first Winter they spent in NC, there was a snowstorm (the type for which NC is underprepared) and they lost power for about a week. So, even in 'the South' it can happen!

DH finished high school in NC, after which time his parents moved to Florida (still seeking that warmer weather and utopia that NC hadn't provided, after just 2-3 short years there). DH stayed in NC because he joined the Marine Corps and got stationed in Jacksonville NC, where I lived with him for over 4 years. We moved to the Midwest when he got out of the military due to the low cost of living and affordable housing.

During my time in NC, although I didn't live in Raleigh, we went there regularly because it was far more interesting than the podunk military town we were stuck in. So from that, I have an outsiders perspective, just as I have an outsiders perspective of NYC (where I've spent many good vacations).

Immediate Observations of Raleigh, PROS:
-Clean and tidy for the most part
-Some very pretty areas
-Good, basic amenities (malls, dining, shopping)
-Always felt safe

CONS:
-For a city of Raleigh's size, traffic can be too congested imo, especially on the interstates
-I found myself running out of things to do on my visits, mind you, I've lived in London in the past so crave cultural experiences, and Raleigh couldn't fulfill that need adequately (although I do consider myself fussy/spoiled in this regard)
-The stereotypical Southern Charm isn't all that prevalent due to the large number of transplants. The Southern manners, accent and attitude just isn't as strong as it is in other areas of the South that I've visited. With that said though, I would say that NCers are still more polite and hospitable than your average NYCer.
-Cost of Living in NC in general isn't as low as it first appears, because wages are crazy low as well unless you're in a professional industry (doctor, etc). Also, being a non-Union, right to work state, conditions and benefits are less than in Union oriented states, from my experience anyhow.

Anyway, my husband personally never minded Raleigh, even though his parents moved on for warmer climates, higher pay and lower cost of living in FL. He said he could live in Raleigh again if he had to.

Anyway, I know that isn't an insiders POV but I hope that helps somewhat!

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
So for you it hasn't been that good then? and I see tons of videos from the raleigh area and the streets looked so good. I have seen lots of jobs on craigslist that offer health insurance, and believe it or not my job in NYC doesn't offer holiday pays or ins at all. My plan is to go during the summer and look for a job, then take it from there. I guess making the minimum of $7.25 over there doesn't is not enough to pay bills and rent no matter how cheap rent is.
It's a decent place and I get a lot more for my rent than NYC.

However, the roads look nice and are usually smooth but the ignorant design and cheap charlie updates for expansion make them awful. For example, roads constantly expand in width and then have a lane drop forcing anyone wanting to drive reasonably on the right to repeatedly change lanes.

Now, it depends on your field how well you'll do here. I got a job in federal government IT so I did decently in Raleigh.

The new state government is the laughingstock of the US. New income tax systems started this month robbing the lower income working people to cut rates for high income folks and corporations.

In Wake County (Raleigh area) new school bonds were approved raising taxes because of the greedy attracting of new residents without getting money up front for infrastructure - a sellout to developers.

A new idea came to the legislature spawning a toll monster. One expressway was built and, a year later, tolls are already being raised (sounds like the Port Authority of NY and NJ).

Rents are going up quickly because of ignorant transplants who are paying NYC type rents. The new apartment communities are greedy beyond belief in things such as pet fees which aren't deposits and aren't refundable.

The utility companies used to be under control of a strong NC Utilities Commission. No more. Duke Energy was allowed to buy Progress Energy and is gulping rate increases like Con Edison.

Traffic is being devastated by the disintegration of several main roads requiring a 3 year repair.

No commuter rail in Wake County although it was proposed and actually laid out years ago.

If you want to escape NYC problems, they are sinking down here and will degrade this area in many ways.

Don't even mention the scandals in the previously excellent Wake County Public School System.

Be sure this will be a step up for you.

Last edited by saturnfan; 01-05-2014 at 11:27 AM..

Old 01-05-2014, 07:14 PM

58 posts, read 90,030 times
We moved here in July from Nj. In total it took us about a year to research areas, jobs, houses etc. we choose johnston county. Better fit for us. We wanted someone not so busy but still get into Raleigh with 30mins. It was rough cause we had a house to sell but it seemed last minute that our house sold just as my husband got a job offer. We were very lucky this job pays almost double his job in Nj. The schools are good in our area but I think anything is better then the ones my kids would of gone to in nj. I love it down here. People where we live are great. Our neighbors are awesome. Our development has so many kids. Our kids made friends instantly. The weather is a lot better. It's cold on mad off here but anything is better then snow. I hate snow. I can handle cold weather but not snow.

Def research different areas and come for a visit. Originally we were all for wake county but after researching it and seeing different towns we decided it wasn't for us. Also, start looking for jobs. My husbands company took about 3 months for the whole interviewing process. There are so many ppl here from the north. So your not going to escape northerners but everyone that I've met is super nice.

Honestly, I've never seen so many bad drivers in my life. That's my only complain. I hate going 40 or 440 cause pole don't know how to switch lanes. They stop short for no reason lol.

Honestly, best decision we've made. But I would honestly say check the area out first. I have a friend who moved here with out researching it cause her husband got a job here and she hates where they live.

Best of luck

Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
I was just up north for the weekend and I too would consider moving south. Weather was dreadful and drivers were crazy. Though, to be fair, the drivers are nuts here as well. They'll risk their life, and yours as well, to get one spot ahead in a four lane stream of traffic. I can't tell you how many wrecks I've seen on I-40 and I'm only on it about once a week.

Unless you live in a tent, a receptionist and a truck driver will have no $ left at the end of the month in NC. Salaries are low, rents are decent, and everything else costs about the same. Heating bills may be little lower.

Your best bet is to visit and see for yourself. If it was me, I'd be putting in for some time off and hitting the road tomorrow.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary