Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,852,092 times

Advertisements

Pay them more too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 07:18 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,882,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Here's what they've told me; when they need breakfast, lunch, dinner or supplies they usually send out someone in a fuel efficient car to pick that stuff up. The notion of sending out the fire truck that only gets 4 mpg for those things is absurd and completely unwarranted especially given how expensive gas is.

Matter of fact, my friends have further elaborated that they usually bring their meals to work as they have a refrigerator and kitchen at most fire stations.
Firemen do occasionally take the fire truck to the grocery store, but usually only when they don't have an extra man to send to the store with his personal vehicle. I don't know Wake Forest Fire policy, but if they require four men to run a fire company, they are not going a take a truck out of service because they don't have the numbers. They take the truck which is completely warranted. You might occasionally see a fire truck grocery shopping if they near one after answering a call or out on inspection.

Your friends are wrong. Fireman never usually take their meals. Not around here.

I never heard anyone complaining about a new fire station being built...volunteer, paid, private contract or whatever. How far do you live from the nearest fire station? I bet they couldn't get to you soon enough in case you needed them in an emergency. You'd probably complain if it wasn't fast enough

About those photos of Wake Forest firemen fishing with the fire truck...let's see 'em.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM

3,932 posts, read 5,067,564 times
Default $2,400,000 for yet another fire station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
About those photos of Wake Forest firemen fishing with the fire truck...let's see 'em.
It's actually a video and I'll edit it and have it up tomorrow.

But getting back to my original question before the thread was derailed, what's the deal on the contactor who's getting these sweet no-bid contracts on fire stations we don't even need (according to Wake County)? Should we contact the Raleigh News and Observer and see what they dig up?

Here's another picture to hold everyone over until I edit that video.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,882,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
It's actually a video and I'll edit it and have it up tomorrow.

But getting back to my original question before the thread was derailed, what's the deal on the contactor who's getting these sweet no-bid contracts on fire stations we don't even need (according to Wake County)? Should we contact the Raleigh News and Observer and see what they dig up?

Here's another picture to hold everyone over until I edit that video.
Nobody here at CD knows the deal with the contractor sweet no-bid contracts. Maybe you should go down to the fire station and ask around. I'm sure they would be glad to sit down and discuss with you why they do all that they do in and away from the fire station. If you're not satisfied with that, then get the N&O on it.

So what is this photo suppose to be showing? Firemen doing something wrong again?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Nobody here at CD knows the deal with the contractor sweet no-bid contracts. Maybe you should go down to the fire station and ask around. I'm sure they would be glad to sit down and discuss with you why they do all that they do in and away from the fire station. If you're not satisfied with that, then get the N&O on it.
Why do you feel compelled to reply if you can't offer up an intelligent answer to my original question? Seriously dude, if you don't know then just sit on the sidelines and ride it out while me and other Wake Forest residents hash it out. We've got a vested interest in this as some of us actually like to know where our tax dollars go.

I also understand that people considering relocating to the Raleigh area want to know the real deal before making a huge investment in property here. Even our local real-estate agents probably want the issue clarified to avoid even the slightest appearance of impropriety which could affect the price of houses in the long run.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Gone Fishin'

Quote:
I was trying to show restraint but since you insisted.

Gone Fishin' - YouTube

Please keep in mind that my desire here is not to get the guys in the video in trouble, but rather to better understand the process in which our Planning Board determines if another Fire Station is truly necessary.

According to a local resident, Wake County has said that Wake Forest does not need another Fire Station thus the County will not help subsidize the 2.4 million dollar expenditure. The cost for the new facility and continuing operating expenses will fall squarely on the backs of Wake Forest taxepayers.

There's also been talk that Wake Forest Fire Stations are operated by a "no-bid contractor" who owns all the assets paid for with our tax dollars. Many people, rightfully so, find that a pretty shocking situation.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 AM

613 posts, read 744,067 times
I have had the same thoughts. Seeing the fire trucks all over Wake Forest parked. Grocery stores and at Walmart. I know the job of a Firemen is dull as dishwater but it seems a serious waste of money/fuel.
I don't remember seeing this in Raleigh so it does stand out in Wake Forest.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:29 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,344,522 times
Wake County says no need for a fire station

Local town says we think so and builds one anyway.

Is someone in the town in cahoots with the no-bid company to operate them or does the county just not want to pony up the money even if it is needed? I'm unfamiliar with how local lawmaking works but I assume they are fairly open to friendly questions.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,152,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
... I don't remember seeing this in Raleigh so it does stand out in Wake Forest.

I see this around Raleigh every day. There's almost always a fire truck parked at some restaurant in Brier Creek. I see them at stores and restaurants all the time. I figured they just needed to eat, and it's easier to go to a call from the place they are eating, than rushing back in private vehicles to an alarm at the station.

This has never seem unusual to me.

Does that mean there's not some sneaky "political doings" going on in Wake Forest with the building on fire stations? Not at all. But I've never questioned the firemen taking the trucks out.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:13 PM

2,904 posts, read 5,906,702 times
Based purely on conjecture, I have thought for years that WF has had "too much disposable income" when it comes to services. Have you seen the fancy, brand new police cars and trucks roaming the streets? Battering rams up front, slick paint jobs, I mean BRAND spanking new. It seems like they get brand new fleets regularly (much more often than RPD). The newer WFFD buildings and trucks are also very high end, not just a regular run of the mill building and truck - to my unprofessional eye its more like top of the line stuff. I've been trying to figure it out for years, thinking why are they charging WF residents so much more in tax if they have so much extra cash like this?

Again, this is just my gut feel but it does seem like something is up with all of this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary