Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times

Advertisements

The problem is that they are waaay underpaid in NC. Please dont complain about them driving trucks to the local Publix or Subway. And their jobs are not "dull"... do you not realize they respond to more than just "fire" related calls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The problem is that they are waaay underpaid in NC. Please dont complain about them driving trucks to the local Publix or Subway. And their jobs are not "dull"... do you not realize they respond to more than just "fire" related calls?
How much are firemen paid in the Triangle area?

ps. We don't have Publix here. Yet.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 PM

34 posts, read 44,468 times
Starting pay is 33k in Raleigh.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM

206 posts, read 310,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Thanks for the reply, Starglow. Yes I'm well aware of the grueling hours firefighters put in because I have several friends who are firefighters up in Maryland. Here's what they've told me; when they need breakfast, lunch, dinner or supplies they usually send out someone in a fuel efficient car to pick that stuff up. The notion of sending out the fire truck that only gets 4 mpg for those things is absurd and completely unwarranted especially given how expensive gas is.

Matter of fact, my friends have further elaborated that they usually bring their meals to work as they have a refrigerator and kitchen at most fire stations.

I'm still interested in that no-bid contract question. I'm not claiming that the Wake Forest Planning Board is corrupt but I'd just like to find out who owns that contracting company. Anybody know?

How dare you question what vehicles firefighters use! I don't care what other states do, if firefighters want to use the truck for any errand I fully support them! I bet you are from out of state, cant be a native, wait, you could be, us natives like to complain about everything lol

And think about this, if they have the truck with them everywhere they go they can get to a call a lot quicker than driving back to the station and getting the truck thereby getting to an emergency or fire much quicker.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

People that complain are mostly likely the same people that don't move out of the way of emergency vehicles and cuss up a storm because they have to.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRDU View Post
Starting pay is 33k in Raleigh.
What are the qualifications?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
What are the qualifications?

How to Become a Raleigh Firefighter
  1. Complete Fire Recruitment Packet. This process is Closed
  2. Attend Orientation Days (Optional): October 31- November 2, 2013 from 8:30 – 3:00 pm at the Keeter Training Center
  3. Sit for the Candidate Written Aptitude Test: December 3, 2013 at the Raleigh Convention Center
  4. Complete the Candidate Physical Agility Test: December 4-7, 2013
  5. Background and reference checks
  6. Oral interview
  7. Offer of employment
Applications are only accepted for positions that are currently being recruited. The City of Raleigh generally recruits for Firefighter positions every year. Recruitment Process explains the application, testing, and interview process in more detail.

Fire Department Recruitment - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

The Raleigh Fire Department requires that recruits be at least 21 years of age at the start of the academy. There is no upper age limit.

A high school education or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required.

As required by city code, firefighters must reside within a 60-mile driving distance of the Raleigh Municipal Building.

More faqs:

http://www.raleighnc.gov/safety/cont...cademyFAQ.html

Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
How to Become a Raleigh Firefighter
  1. Complete Fire Recruitment Packet. This process is Closed
  2. Attend Orientation Days (Optional): October 31- November 2, 2013 from 8:30 – 3:00 pm at the Keeter Training Center
  3. Sit for the Candidate Written Aptitude Test: December 3, 2013 at the Raleigh Convention Center
  4. Complete the Candidate Physical Agility Test: December 4-7, 2013
  5. Background and reference checks
  6. Oral interview
  7. Offer of employment
Applications are only accepted for positions that are currently being recruited. The City of Raleigh generally recruits for Firefighter positions every year. Recruitment Process explains the application, testing, and interview process in more detail.

Fire Department Recruitment - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

The Raleigh Fire Department requires that recruits be at least 21 years of age at the start of the academy. There is no upper age limit.

A high school education or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required.

As required by city code, firefighters must reside within a 60-mile driving distance of the Raleigh Municipal Building.

More faqs:

Fire Recruit Academy FAQ - The Official City of Raleigh Portal
Thanks! That was quite thorough.

It can be a very dangerous job. I'm not surprised about the compensation, though.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 PM

I wish I joined them when I was 21. I'm too old now, well, I feel too old anyway lol. Just turned 56. I have a lot of respect for them.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
I wish I joined them when I was 21. I'm too old now, well, I feel too old anyway lol. Just turned 56. I have a lot of respect for them.
I know a few local firefighters and they have to go through extensive training exercises carrying dead weight out of a burning structure to simulate rescuing an unconscious person and working with the aerial ladder trucks...one of them happens to be 56 and he said the training gets harder as he ages so you definitely need some stamina for this job.

My neighbors house caught on fire about two years ago and the response from RFD was nothing short of amazing and they quickly had the fire under control. I think some on this forum need to experience what it feels like working inside a burning structure, dealing with chemical spills or fires, and removing injured and deceased people from car accident scenes...it's not a glamorous job but the personal risks are many.

If the OP wants to be angry about fire services being contracted out, then he should be angry with the city leaders and administrators at the top and not the firefighters themselves for trying to do their jobs and save lives. I'll bet the complaints would be much louder if emergency response times were 10 minutes or more because of limited fire personnel on duty and only a few fire stations to handle call outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary