Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:49 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,599,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Also, for an unexpected good meal, try Tangerine. It's in a non-descript strip mall on Cary Pkwy at Old Apex, next to the Food Lion. Very good pan-Asian cuisine.
Tangerine Cafe's lunch specials can't be beat. I just had their lemongrass tofu yesterday and for less than $6 you get a nice size portion of really good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,270,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrobayer View Post
I didn't ask for BBQ myself because I'm vegetarian, and BBQ houses don't typically cater to me haha.
Look for the Old North State BBQ food truck. They do a tofu bbq!

https://www.facebook.com/oldenorthstatebbq

Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,329,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrobayer View Post
Thanks for the varying information on the Pizza, as I like both kinds!

I didn't ask for BBQ myself because I'm vegetarian, and BBQ houses don't typically cater to me haha.

Still though, I'm glad you posted it anyway, I'm sure the information will be beneficial to others! Thus, the purpose of a forum. Woohoo!

Ah - Smokey's would not be your thing! However, in the same plaza with C & T, is an Indian restaurant that is vegetarian. I have not tried it but I do recommend Taste a Vietnamese restaurant also in that plaza. As others have mentioned, Durham and Chapel Hill are foodie towns and are worth the drive to find even more places to choose from.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,261,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You probably won't find a ton of decent Chinese ANYWHERE in the Triangle, though I can say that Red Dragon over in Five Points rarely disappoints.
35 China - Cary
Superwok - Cary
Tapei 101 -Cary
CT Wok - Morrisville
Grand Asia Cafeteria - Cary

^All are "decent-plus" and have at least some authentic items on the menu.

And there is a place in Chapel Hill that gets props all the time, I can't remember
And Durham has a few really good places, near Duke that I've "happened upon".

[please don't ban me from the forums for disagreeing]

Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,160,316 times
Quote:
35 China - Cary
Superwok - Cary
Tapei 101 -Cary
CT Wok - Morrisville
Grand Asia Cafeteria - Cary

^All are "decent-plus" and have at least some authentic items on the menu.

And there is a place in Chapel Hill that gets props all the time, I can't remember
And Durham has a few really good places, near Duke that I've "happened upon".

[please don't ban me from the forums for disagreeing]

Why would I do that? LOL. I like all those restaurants. They are indeed tasty.

It's just that for some people "decent" means "authentic."

Tapei 101 or Grand Asia might give you something pretty similar, but I do think Red Dragon is the most authentic place I've found in the area... well, that my ex MIL (she's Chinese) found around here.

Sooo... take that however ya like.

I also have friends who are Asian who have transplanted from areas (like San Francisco) who generally agree that this area lacks good, authentic Chinese food.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM

454 posts, read 494,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Ah - Smokey's would not be your thing! However, in the same plaza with C & T, is an Indian restaurant that is vegetarian. I have not tried it but I do recommend Taste a Vietnamese restaurant also in that plaza. As others have mentioned, Durham and Chapel Hill are foodie towns and are worth the drive to find even more places to choose from.
Taste is fantastic. Their pho is delicious.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,667,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It's tasty!

I lived in Irmo, South Carolina. Home of the yearly Okra Strut festival. That's some good stuff when added to certain soups!

http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com...g/products/753

Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,270,376 times
Quote:
I think you're thinking of Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro for authentic Chinese. It seems authentic to me (stinky tofu and 1000 yr old eggs on the menu), but I don't have a Chinese ex-MIL, so I don't know.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,160,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think you're thinking of Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro for authentic Chinese. It seems authentic to me (stinky tofu and 1000 yr old eggs on the menu), but I don't have a Chinese MIL, so I don't know.
Never carried her over there.

It may well be. I don't dine in CH or Carrboro very often.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM

644 posts, read 839,724 times
OP,

I am vegetarian too and I am a major foodie. For Indian food, I like Sai Krishna Bhavan. Hands down the best Indian buffet food I have had in the US (I should add that I am Vegetarian, Indian and I grew up in the North-East). Sai Krishna Bhavan uses really fresh stuff and their desserts are very good. Being that the owner is South Indian, I usually shy away from their naan (my diet is gluten free), but why eat naan when Sai Krishna Bhavan like most other Indian buffets gives you any bread (including dosa)? +1 for Dawat for Ambience and Palak Paneer. Their other stuff is okay.

+1 for CT Wok. Make sure you are okay with fish sauce because CT Wok uses fish sauce in most of their sauces.

For Mediterranean, besides, Neomonde, I suggest Aladdin for their incredible Vegetarian friendly menu (five soups, about 10-15 different wraps and Pita pizza). Don't eat the dessert and falafel at Aladdins though.

Pizza - LOL. I hope you are not from NYC. Pizza here is rubbish. Randy's is perhaps comparable to stuff served in the bad Pizzerias in NYC.

Mexican - I have no recommendations for Vegetarians. There is absolutely nothing worth mentioning, although, I like Chubby's Tacos for their salsa options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary