Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The entire area is like a suburb, but without the major metropolitan hub within driving distance..
I have to disagree. I grew up in Eastern Massachusetts and lived in Metro Boston from 1987 until last year when I moved down here.

There may not be a "major" metropolitan hub down here, but I wouldn't have moved if I didn't feel like Raleigh was a "real" city. Small, perhaps, but genuinely urban (at its core, obviously there are plenty of suburban neighborhoods in the City of Raleigh -- and there are in the City of Boston, too). Durham strikes me the same way although I've barely spent any time there.

Yes, the area is very suburban, no the metropolitan area is not "major" compared to cities in the Northeast, but Raleigh still seems like a real city and not just a collection of strip malls (like some cities I've visited).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I have to disagree. I grew up in Eastern Massachusetts and lived in Metro Boston from 1987 until last year when I moved down here.

There may not be a "major" metropolitan hub down here, but I wouldn't have moved if I didn't feel like Raleigh was a "real" city. Small, perhaps, but genuinely urban (at its core, obviously there are plenty of suburban neighborhoods in the City of Raleigh -- and there are in the City of Boston, too). Durham strikes me the same way although I've barely spent any time there.

Yes, the area is very suburban, no the metropolitan area is not "major" compared to cities in the Northeast, but Raleigh still seems like a real city and not just a collection of strip malls (like some cities I've visited).
So what's the disagreement?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
So what's the disagreement?
This: The entire area is like a suburb.

A small city is still a city, not a suburb.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:05 AM

84 posts, read 121,130 times
Default Garner is nice

Garner is a nice town,went there last year.David

Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM

84 posts, read 121,130 times
so is Raleigh and Mebane,Plan on relocating there in the next 1 1/2 years

Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
This: The entire area is like a suburb.

A small city is still a city, not a suburb.
like adjective combining form

:similar to or resembling

: resembling or characteristic of <bell-like> <ladylike>

Old 02-22-2014, 06:47 AM

25 posts, read 47,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned this but it's quite difficult to find a house to rent if you are not employed. When we relocated we rented for a bit while our home was being built. The first thing we were asked was for proof of employment. Something for you to consider.
We are thinking that if we can't find jobs before we come out my husband is going to stay behind and work at his while I come out and look. Hopefully, in my market, it will only take a few months, and once I start working, he will join us. This way we still have at least one income (hopefully enough to satisfy a rental company). We can live on only his income, it just won't leave a lot of room for extras. I also have a 25 year old son (along with my 7 and 9 year old - I did mention the crazy part - right?) who is almost finished with his accounting degree. He will be coming with me and looking for work. He will be living with us for a bit as well. So between all of us hopefully we can make this work.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 AM

7 posts, read 7,420 times
I'm going to follow your progress. Ha! You sound like me, four sons, ages 25, 22, 20 and 7. We are looking towards South Carolina now as my husband has more family there.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 AM

28 posts, read 59,479 times
My family has been looking to move to NC now for years. Our daughter still has two more year to finish in college but after that we want to move. We are looking into loving to the Seven Lakes area. Is this also a good place for people my daughters age. Any idea on the job market there? We are thinking of taking a short trip next month to check it out. Any input would be great.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
No, not really good for young folks around Seven Lakes. If you want a lake area home I'd suggest looking at some of the lakes around Charlotte. What's your budget? Seven Lakes would be very boring for a young 20-something. Nice place for retirees, though. I don't think there's much of a job market there at all. What kind of job?

http://www.city-data.com/city/Seven-...-Carolina.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary