Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:44 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times

Advertisements

Based on your username and earlier post I assume you are from Orlando. I grew up in Orlando (Winter Park, between Rollins and Corrine Dr.) and have lived in Durham for nearly a decade. My wife and I live in a neighborhood right outside downtown Durham and love it here.

Durham is a great, diverse city that is not something you would typically encounter in Florida. There are no areas that are as rough as, say, Parramore or Pine Hills, although there are some areas with thornier crime problems particularly on the eastern side of downtown.

A friend of my wife's lived in Bradford Ridge while in law school. It was a fine apartment, but an older complex in an area that has had many newer apartment buildings open up. I would try to get a sense of what today's tenant mix is as I assume some of the residents have transitioned to newer, more upscale locations.

North Durham is generally safe and fine to live in albeit an older section of town. That said, the location for Atrium is not in a part of town I would recommend, as there have been some crime issues in the past in the Roxboro Rd/Old Oxford Rd area.

Colonial has many mid-price, mid-market units. The area of that unit is fine; again, an older complex.

If you are going to be working at either the Duke/VA area or Duke Regional Hospital area, I'd suggest looking at the Croasdaile area apartments off I-85 and Hillandale Rd.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,143 times
Check out Lenox East & West off Morreene Rd. Most are townhome style units, but they do have a few apt type buildings. We lived in the little neighborhood behind there for many years, and it's safe (with the exception of care break-ins) with very close proximity to Duke. Ticon has a reputation of being a great property manager.

Ticon Properties |

You might also try Colonial Village at Deefield. Close to Duke, bordering on the Duke Forest.

Apartments in Durham, NC | Colonial Village at Deerfield

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times
Don't got by reviews online. Use them maybe but really, you can go on websites like craigslist and fiverr that you can pay people to do positive reviews for you which many businesses do to get the reviews.

I lived in Park Ridge Estates off HWY 54 in Woodcroft and was happy. I didn't see any apartments around HWY 54 and 751 that weren't nice. The plus is that they are very close to everything and I-40.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 AM

285 posts, read 493,114 times
I didn't respond earlier because I have no direct experience with those apartment complexes. However, now that I look them up online, I am at least familiar with the areas.

Colonial Townhouse Apartments - I drive by this one regularly, and it seems pretty iffy safety-wise. It also looks rather run-down.

Atrium - The pictures look gorgeous. The reviews mention some crime problems, but I would not generally think of this as a dangerous area. But I live on the other end of town, so I don't know that area as well.

Bradford Ridge - These apartments are managed by Ticon, a company from which I rented for many years. Their properties aren't fancy, but they are well maintained and the prices are reasonable. Over the years, there have been issues with crime on some of the streets within walking distance of campus - lots of people = lots of opportunity, I guess. I believe it has improved recently with increased police presence.

The Evergreens - skipping this one, since you eliminated it

My suggestions:

Here's a report about local apartment complexes produced by Duke Community Housing: http://econ.duke.edu/uploads/assets/...mentSurvey.pdf. It's very detailed, but from 2009.

Look into Ticon's other properties. If you're willing to live a little father away from campus, you'll find some better prices.

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 PM

125 posts, read 195,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Based on your username and earlier post I assume you are from Orlando. I grew up in Orlando (Winter Park, between Rollins and Corrine Dr.) and have lived in Durham for nearly a decade. My wife and I live in a neighborhood right outside downtown Durham and love it here.

Durham is a great, diverse city that is not something you would typically encounter in Florida. There are no areas that are as rough as, say, Parramore or Pine Hills, although there are some areas with thornier crime problems particularly on the eastern side of downtown.

A friend of my wife's lived in Bradford Ridge while in law school. It was a fine apartment, but an older complex in an area that has had many newer apartment buildings open up. I would try to get a sense of what today's tenant mix is as I assume some of the residents have transitioned to newer, more upscale locations.

North Durham is generally safe and fine to live in albeit an older section of town. That said, the location for Atrium is not in a part of town I would recommend, as there have been some crime issues in the past in the Roxboro Rd/Old Oxford Rd area.

Colonial has many mid-price, mid-market units. The area of that unit is fine; again, an older complex.

If you are going to be working at either the Duke/VA area or Duke Regional Hospital area, I'd suggest looking at the Croasdaile area apartments off I-85 and Hillandale Rd.

Good luck!
Thanks for the insight. You are correct that I am from the Orlando area, and definitely looking to steer clear of any less than desirable areas. Even areas near UCF were less than stellar in my eyes, but somewhere like Oviedo or the Rollins area is more in line with my tastes as far as neighborhood goes.

I will look into Croasdaile apartments as well, thank you.

I've also looked into Lenox at Patterson Place (a bit pricey) as well as Colonial Village Deerfield.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
Check out Lenox East & West off Morreene Rd. Most are townhome style units, but they do have a few apt type buildings. We lived in the little neighborhood behind there for many years, and it's safe (with the exception of care break-ins) with very close proximity to Duke. Ticon has a reputation of being a great property manager.

Ticon Properties |

You might also try Colonial Village at Deefield. Close to Duke, bordering on the Duke Forest.

Apartments in Durham, NC | Colonial Village at Deerfield
Thanks, I'm looking into Lenox East & West.

Ticon properties seems to be good, the only issue is my questions regarding required renters insurance. Seems a little crazy for them to require me to have it, I feel like that's a bit personal.

Colonial Village at Deerfield seems to have lovely office staff and I'll be touring with them next weekend. Unfortunately, they do not have any vacancies at this time.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsT89 View Post
I didn't respond earlier because I have no direct experience with those apartment complexes. However, now that I look them up online, I am at least familiar with the areas.

Colonial Townhouse Apartments - I drive by this one regularly, and it seems pretty iffy safety-wise. It also looks rather run-down.

Atrium - The pictures look gorgeous. The reviews mention some crime problems, but I would not generally think of this as a dangerous area. But I live on the other end of town, so I don't know that area as well.

Bradford Ridge - These apartments are managed by Ticon, a company from which I rented for many years. Their properties aren't fancy, but they are well maintained and the prices are reasonable. Over the years, there have been issues with crime on some of the streets within walking distance of campus - lots of people = lots of opportunity, I guess. I believe it has improved recently with increased police presence.

The Evergreens - skipping this one, since you eliminated it

My suggestions:

Here's a report about local apartment complexes produced by Duke Community Housing: http://econ.duke.edu/uploads/assets/...mentSurvey.pdf. It's very detailed, but from 2009.

Look into Ticon's other properties. If you're willing to live a little father away from campus, you'll find some better prices.

Good luck with your move.
Thank you for the advice! My biggest issue is with the neighborhoods since I'm not from around Durham (or North Carolina for that matter), so I don't know good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods or what may be safe for some might be iffy for me. I appreciate the suggestion and I will continue my search.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:01 PM

698 posts, read 959,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
Thanks, I'm looking into Lenox East & West.

Ticon properties seems to be good, the only issue is my questions regarding required renters insurance. Seems a little crazy for them to require me to have it, I feel like that's a bit personal.
Ticon wants you to carry $300,000 in liability insurance, geesh

My complex here in the Orlando area required liability insurance as well as the other ones I looked at
My policy covers things like, leaving the water running in the bathroom and causing damage to the apartment and the one below me

Old 01-18-2014, 04:06 PM

698 posts, read 959,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
Thank you for the advice! My biggest issue is with the neighborhoods since I'm not from around Durham (or North Carolina for that matter), so I don't know good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods or what may be safe for some might be iffy for me. I appreciate the suggestion and I will continue my search.
And those online pictures can be very deceiving, place looks fantastic, until you drive by.
you have to just go for a visit, get a feel for the place.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Ticon wants you to carry $300,000 in liability insurance, geesh

My complex here in the Orlando area required liability insurance as well as the other ones I looked at
My policy covers things like, leaving the water running in the bathroom and causing damage to the apartment and the one below me
Yeah but they were awfully specific about the types of policies they will and will not accept. I was a little shocked. My current policy should be my own personal business really. But that's just my opinion. What's to stop someone else from letting their coverage lapse?

I know all too well that those pictures are deceiving. Just doing drive bys though may not always prove truthful either. Some neighborhoods are just starting to decline, so figured I'd ask some locals about their opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary