U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,122,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have volunteered to compile a list of rescues and shelters in our area to help residents find the right pet and to help the too many dogs and cats which need homes. Our moderator has agreed to make it a sticky or part of the Welcome sticky. To prevent duplicate efforts I am asking if anybody knows of a list already in circulation that I may not have access to. Or of other rescues or shelters not mentioned in this thread.

I would not endeavor to rate them or even distinguish hoarders from rescues. I would need addresses, phone numbers, websites and if they specialize in dogs or cats or both and of course breed specific rescues. I think we should keep our listing for the Triangle only although I am aware of good rescues in Charlotte and Greensboro and other areas on the state. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I have only basic computer skills but I think i can make up a directory without too much difficulty.
Many thanks.
Back in 2005 I compiled a list of about 40 rescues, and 10 shelters, that serve our area. It is posted in the database section of Triangle Lost and Found Pets, which I still own and moderate (though it is not really active anymore). I'm not sure if you have to be a member to access it, but here are the links, in case they work for you. If not, I can probably find another way to export it for you. Keep in mind that this list was current back in 2005, maybe not so much anymore.

Shelters:
Yahoo Groups

Rescues:
Yahoo Groups

Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,819,649 times
Adventive

"You do not have permission to view these tables" Could you send them to me in DM? I could start calling to see which are still active. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,699,277 times
I adopted my dog from Stokes County Rescue. It's a small, rural shelter. I drove from Charleston SC up there to pick her up, so 600 miles round trip. She puked in my car. Now she's the best dog ever.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 21,561,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I adopted my dog from Stokes County Rescue. It's a small, rural shelter. I drove from Charleston SC up there to pick her up, so 600 miles round trip. She puked in my car. Now she's the best dog ever.
That's so funny. Ours pee'd in the back of mine (fortunately it's a wagon and had a rubber mat). She was SO scared. Had no idea what was going on. Same experience as you, great dog today.

Personally, IMO, mutts make the best dogs. Nature tends to get rid of the bad things and keep the good things when starting anew. You often get the best of what both breeds have to offer with little of the downsides.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 PM

448 posts, read 605,047 times
Thumbs up My contribution to the pet adoptions list

We have our wonderful Emily Cat (the linebacker cat) from 2 Paws Up, which I actually found on Petfinder.

I like their mission:
Quote:
2PawsUp is a 501c3 organization dedicated to saving animals from the high-kill shelters in North Carolina, providing necessary medical care, and finding them loving forever homes.
Our cat came from the Harnett county sheter, pregnant. Her foster mom kept her until she gave birth, then after weaning, the kittens were all adopted out. Then we saw that photo on Petfinder/2 Paws Up… she is as sweet as her face

And our dog came from the nice women at Cat Banjo, the back of their business cards say "We rescue dogs and make jewelry." Their goings on can be seen at their Facebook page.

Quote:
Our "shop Local keep your dollars in Raleigh/Shop at Cat Banjo and help dogs" promise.

Please consider doing your shopping at Cat Banjo. We are an independent, locally owned business. We promise to appreciate every dollar spent here and we vow to continue to help our canine castaways. Help keep our door open and we promise to keep our hearts open for the next dog in need.
I highly recommend Petfinder too, BTW.

Last edited by RedZin; 01-15-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 07:24 PM

553 posts, read 1,106,487 times
Saving Grace in Wake Forest is awesome. I found my German Shepherd there. They rescue dogs from kill-shelters. The dogs have nine acres of "doggie Utopia" to run and play. They are just amazing.

Dog Rescue & Dog Adoption - Saving Grace Animals for Adoption, NC. Serving the Wake Forest, Raleigh, Durham areas in NC.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 PM

239 posts, read 987,277 times
So, I think we might have found our dog at the local pound/animal shelter. Will know more once my husband meets the dog tomorrow. Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and advice on where to look. It has been a very heart wrenching search because I know that many of the dogs will be put down at the local shelter. Today, I found out that they try to keep them as long as they can but after 5 days, they could be put down. If new surrenders arrive, they have to make room for those pets.

I guess I am not sure why a rescue group or something like saving grace would be better to go with than the pound. I feel by going to the local pound/shelter I managed to save the dog I am adopting, and saving another dog from being put down if another one arrives ( does that make sense?).

But, I think it is admirable to those legit rescue services and groups that are saving animals. It is a 24/7 job with a great monetary commitment.

In this search, I did rule out some of the groups based on their questionnaires and wait times. I found a group that ruled you out of you didn't have a vet. Not sure how you can have a vet unless you actually already have a pet. But it makes sense now that I have learned some groups are potentially animal hoarders (which is sad)

Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM

475 posts, read 1,176,098 times
Wake County Animal Center. Check out this group they work with the shelter

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfWa...tyAnimalCenter

Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 AM

426 posts, read 1,350,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
I guess I am not sure why a rescue group or something like saving grace would be better to go with than the pound. I feel by going to the local pound/shelter I managed to save the dog I am adopting, and saving another dog from being put down if another one arrives ( does that make sense?).

But, I think it is admirable to those legit rescue services and groups that are saving animals. It is a 24/7 job with a great monetary commitment.
Doesnt matter who you adopt from, you're still saving a life.

I dont think going through a rescue is better but it might have a few advantages. Since a foster family spend much more one on one time with the dog than a shelter volunteer, you can get a better idea of their temperament and how they are with cats, kids, other dogs etc. Im not sure if all rescues do this but in the case of rescue where I volunteer, dogs are fully vetted and healthy. I was interested in adopting from a shelter and after I picked one, I was told that she requires continued vet care due to parasites and I cant remember what else. I was a bit sad but I had just spent $2000 to try to help my 12 year old dog (sadly nothing could be done) and I passed on the adoption.

A PP brought up the issue of high rescue adoption fees. (Speaking for myself and not representing a rescue), rescues are not out to make money. I'll bet sometimes they have to pay for vet care etc out of their own pockets. They have to pay a pull fee to the shelter, they have to pay for a vet examination, for a dog to be spayed/neutered in in many cases for treatment like parvo, heartworm, parasites etc. which in some cases cost more than the adoption fee. They do not get funding that state/county run shelters do and they dont pull in donations like the SPCA.

Love Mutts Rescue which I recommended earlier does not make you jump through hoops. No wait time and lengthy/invasive application forms. You can adopt on the spot with a vet reference.

Last edited by MammaLakn; 01-16-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 AM

5,876 posts, read 8,857,803 times
If I were going to get a second dog I'd go through a rescue group, because I'd need to be very specific in finding a dog compatible with my current dog. So a rescue group's foster family would know everything about that dog's responses to other dogs, children, training, etc. I think home visits are good - good for the pets they are adopting out, to make sure it's a safe environment. It's true, a lot of them do pay for vet care out of their own pockets. In my case, a long wait time would be ok to find the right dog (my dog needs a dog that basically loves everyone and won't keep jumping on her head).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or