U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 AM

34,667 posts, read 29,022,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
If I were going to get a second dog I'd go through a rescue group, because I'd need to be very specific in finding a dog compatible with my current dog. So a rescue group's foster family would know everything about that dog's responses to other dogs, children, training, etc. I think home visits are good - good for the pets they are adopting out, to make sure it's a safe environment. It's true, a lot of them do pay for vet care out of their own pockets. In my case, a long wait time would be ok to find the right dog (my dog needs a dog that basically loves everyone and won't keep jumping on her head).

In these cases, waiting and searching for just the perfect dog does make sense.

But, sometimes, people don't have a dog, and their needs are pretty simple. That's where some of these groups can be a bit excessive.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 PM

125 posts, read 166,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
In these cases, waiting and searching for just the perfect dog does make sense.

But, sometimes, people don't have a dog, and their needs are pretty simple. That's where some of these groups can be a bit excessive.
I completely agree. As a single person looking to adopt a dog, every time I see a "rescue fee" of $500 for a 12 year old dog, I wonder why would I bother when I could get a puppy for $300, and get shots and everything else, and still end up less than $500. I'm not saying that older dogs don't need love, but I'd sooner adopt from a shelter than a rescue group.

One rescue group expected copies of my recent pay stubs to show that I could "afford" a dog, and didn't accept my vet's reference. Mind you I've spent more than $5000 in one year on rehabilitating my dog. So clearly, I take care of my furry children.

I look through the shelter sites frequently, but know that the dogs I am interested in are being scooped up quickly by these rescues. Honestly, it's pushing me MORE to find a breeder than encouraging me to adopt through a rescue agency. I'll keep up the hunt on the shelters but honestly I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 PM

2,275 posts, read 5,673,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
I guess I am not sure why a rescue group or something like saving grace would be better to go with than the pound. I feel by going to the local pound/shelter I managed to save the dog I am adopting, and saving another dog from being put down if another one arrives ( does that make sense?).
Molly Goldston, who runs Saving Grace, actually rescues dogs from kill shelters in rural areas that don't see much traffic; shelters in areas that do not have large populations, thus do not have a high adoption rate. So if you adopt from Saving Grace, you ARE saving a dog from being put down, and making room for her to rescue more dogs from kill shelters.

We found our beloved dog at Saving Grace four years ago. She was already socialized, and adapted very easily into our home and with our other dog. I highly recommend them.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 AM

34,667 posts, read 29,022,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
I completely agree. As a single person looking to adopt a dog, every time I see a "rescue fee" of $500 for a 12 year old dog, I wonder why would I bother when I could get a puppy for $300, and get shots and everything else, and still end up less than $500. I'm not saying that older dogs don't need love, but I'd sooner adopt from a shelter than a rescue group.

One rescue group expected copies of my recent pay stubs to show that I could "afford" a dog, and didn't accept my vet's reference. Mind you I've spent more than $5000 in one year on rehabilitating my dog. So clearly, I take care of my furry children.

I look through the shelter sites frequently, but know that the dogs I am interested in are being scooped up quickly by these rescues. Honestly, it's pushing me MORE to find a breeder than encouraging me to adopt through a rescue agency. I'll keep up the hunt on the shelters but honestly I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah... I know that the rescue groups invest a lot of money in the dogs they rescue, but I do feel like it's not always the most cost-effective solution if a person just "wants a family dog."

Not wanting to spend a small fortune up front doesn't mean a person won't spend on the animal for regular healthcare and illness situations. That's simply not true.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,228,854 times
There are always a multitude of dogs and puppies available for adoption at the area pounds including the SPCA as well as Wake Co. We have three dogs and one cat - all rescue. Our first was the last unadopted at a local PetsMart day in Roanoke - he was pathetic, scared, unadopted, and really totally pathetic. Since then we adopted a Dachshund mix female from the Roanoke SPCA, and a Chihuahua mix stray off the street in Charleston WV to the mix - these pooches are our love and joy (empty nesters). Our first is now king pin of our mini-dog pack! Our cat, a Snowshoe Siamese, came from the Wake Co. Shelter.

I would never pay for a dog through a breeder, pet store, etc - there's too many wonderful, loving dogs/puppies/cats/kittens that desperately need a home out there.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or