Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

Have you looked at Rescueme.org? You can sign up for notices from different states for different breeds. For example I get almost weekly alerts for Bichons and maltese dogs from NC and neighboring states. It is a wonderful organization I am happy to support. We found our latest rescue, adorable 6 lb maltese Toby on petfinder and drove to Anderson S.C. to pick him up. There are some other great rescues in Charlotte and surrounding areas as well. There is never a lack of dogs for people who want to give good homes. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Saving Grace Dog Rescue

Dog Rescue & Dog Adoption - Saving Grace Animals for Adoption, NC. Serving the Wake Forest, Raleigh, Durham areas in NC.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
We had two ex-racers that came from the Sanford Animal Hospital, back when they were the only ones in the area doing that (looks like they still are - Sanford Animal Hospital - Our Staff). Ex-racers can make great pets, but they are not like a "normal" dog. Being raised on a track, they often don't have any experience with things like stairs, windows and other things around a house. Some can have stomach problems needing a special diet. Being a sight hound, they can never be let off-leash (except in an enclosed area). They can be 35+ mph "coach potatoes", typically sprinters and not long distance runners. Again, they can be great, just read up to know what to expect.

Personally, my favorites are the pits, but the OP wants something else. The Wake SPCA and (I assume) the rescue organizations are no-kill. Unfortunately, Wake County and other counties don't have that luxury and must make tough decisions when they are full.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
I would take a different route...

I would take a day and visit the "kill" shelters that may be within an hour drive and
see what they have...They are often over flowing with great dogs and puppies that never make it to the
rescue/adoption groups..These dogs have very little time before being put to sleep..

Wilson is one shelter that I have been to that is usually full..

These may or may not be kill shelters but Granville, Orange county, Johnston,Harnett are all fairly close..

Thanks for rescuing !!!! We have always rescued our dogs..My son adopted a lab mix 5 years ago that
has been a perfect dog !!! Sadly she was just diagnosed with untreatable bone cancer and we have only weeks left with her before she is suffering .

ps..I am biased but I think lab mixes rock !!!!!
pss. Check shelter hours/ days before going because many have limited hours/days

Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Ex-racers can make great pets, but they are not like a "normal" dog. Being raised on a track, they often don't have any experience with things like stairs, windows and other things around a house. Some can have stomach problems needing a special diet. Being a sight hound, they can never be let off-leash (except in an enclosed area). They can be 35+ mph "coach potatoes", typically sprinters and not long distance runners. Again, they can be great, just read up to know what to expect.
Adoption groups do a great job of educating potential adopters about greyhounds. You do have to let them acclimate to a household environment if they haven't been in one before. I've had eight greyhounds over the years, and none had a particularly sensitive stomach. They do need time to transition to a new food, but that's the same with any dog.

Greyhounds are not the breed for you if you want a dog that will play fetch in an unfenced yard, but they do have many other positive qualities. One of the managers where I work adopted one last year and is absolutely in love with the dog. I have two at home now, along with a whippet (a breed I would definitely NOT recommend for an inexperienced or low energy household).

And just because you don't often see a greyhound in Batman pajamas playing in the snow..

Mosley in the snow - YouTube

Old 01-13-2014, 10:46 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
What size & temperment are you looking for so we can be on the lookout ??

Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I second Paws4Ever. They do a great job with socializing their animals and even if you don't get your dog there they offer great classes to anyone.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM

426 posts, read 1,489,964 times
Please check out Love Mutts Rescue on FB or www.love.petfinder.com They are based in Manson but the majority of dogs are fostered in our area and they have adoption events in Cary almost every weekend. Most of the dogs are pulled from kill shelters like Duplin and Columbus county. I adopted a puppy from them a few months ago after our furbaby (our first baby!) passed away and felt like I wanted to become involved. I volunteered transportation and brought two litters of puppies from a rural kill shelter to our area. I fell in love with one and adopted him too! I attend some of the adoption events and help wherever needed. Thanks

Old 01-13-2014, 11:45 AM

454 posts, read 495,262 times
I adopted a dog from IAR (Independent Animal Rescue, Durham NC) last year. He is the friendliest, sweetest dog I have ever known (don't tell my bulldogs that haha). He was completely house trained and knew basic commands. This rescue group also gives you a discount on training. They have all kinds of pups up for adoptions on their site.

I liked their process of allowing the dog to stay with you for a number of nights so you can see if they truly are a good fit. Be prepared to fill out a lengthy application and prepare for a home visit. I think all rescues should do this, personally.

They often have adoption events at different Petcos in the area. http://www.animalrescue.net/calendar

I'm all for adopting from the kill shelters because they're more desperate but you need to be more careful, imo. The only reason being is that I adopted a dog from a city shelter a few years ago and he turned out to have some nasty aggression issues that weren't apparent until we got him home. He also turned out to have chronic health issues. Through a ton of training sessions, he is now more of a gentleman and we're keeping on top of the health stuff but if you're not prepared to spend large sums of money on training and vet care as well as invest time into them, it may be better to go with a rescue network that does a thorough assessment of the animals before adopting them out.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
HIGHLY recommend Triangle Beagle Rescue. They take in beagles and our last two dogs are from this great organization. They are very helpful and the prices are quite reasonable. They spend a lot of time socializing the dogs and getting them house broken (if adult enough). They do a show every other week mostly in Durham area. Well worth the drive. Who can resist a little Arrrooooo!

Here is a link to them: Triangle Beagle Rescue | North Carolina | Put a Little Hound In Your Heart

Can not recommend them enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary