Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times

Advertisements

I've been here for seven summers now and I still don't get why people think we have it bad, even with the humidity. Maybe it's because we have A/C every single place we go other than when we're walking to/from our cars, or maybe it's because for nearly thirty years I rode NYC subways during the summer months (stand on one of those platforms during the Dog Days of Summer and tell me we have it bad, I dare you). I was dreading the excessive heat and quickly adapted to it and considered it a no-brainer.

As for the slower pace of life, that's something altogether different. I still don't understand why the light turns green and people don't feel compelled to move. And why is it so shocking when someone gives a little "toot" from their car horn to try and get things moving along? Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy the slower pace most of the time - just not all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I've been here for seven summers now and I still don't get why people think we have it bad, even with the humidity. Maybe it's because we have A/C every single place we go other than when we're walking to/from our cars, or maybe it's because for nearly thirty years I rode NYC subways during the summer months (stand on one of those platforms during the Dog Days of Summer and tell me we have it bad, I dare you). I was dreading the excessive heat and quickly adapted to it and considered it a no-brainer.

As for the slower pace of life, that's something altogether different. I still don't understand why the light turns green and people don't feel compelled to move. And why is it so shocking when someone gives a little "toot" from their car horn to try and get things moving along? Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy the slower pace most of the time - just not all the time.

Because... what's the rush? I mean, everyone cites "slower pace of life" for a reason to move here, no?

Seriously, though... people have GOT to stop driving on Cary Parkway like it's an interstate. The speed limit is 45 mph. If you're going over 50 on Cary Parkway, you're an accident waiting to happen. And I say this as someone who has driven over 50 due to her lead foot on that very road and works very hard not to drive over 50 on there, because there's just too much stop-and-go traffic for all that. I've listened to people honk at lights on that road, then zoom up to the next red light at warp speed only to have to sit there while I arrive a car or two behind them and neither of us get down the road any faster, not really. Plus, gunning it burns excess fuel.

The humidity here and the humidity in NYC aren't dramatically different. I think ours just lasts longer.

The humidity here and in Arizona? Entirely different.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:17 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,250 times
A very good reason not to move as soon as the light turns green is the number of drivers whose light has already turned red and don't feel compelled to stop.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 PM

45 posts, read 69,270 times
So do you regret the move? Do you feel like you know your neighbors better in NC? Honestly where we live now 56th st and greenway I feel like we never even see our neighbors. I feel like until you have been through an Arizona summer you have no idea what heat is like, humidy or no humidity months on end of 110 degree weather can really make you feel trapped in your house. Our pool is typically high 90s all through August...zero relief.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:00 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,250 times
I work with relocating families all the time- sold to a family from AZ a few months ago- and I think I had one family who missed their family in NJ. Otherwise, everyone I know, including my family, has been thrilled to be here. I got to know the neighbors when my kids were small and we all waited at the bus stop. Definitely more friendly than NY. Unfortunately, now that my youngest is 20 and parks his car across the street sometimes, the across the streest neighbors, from Long Island (where we were glad to move from), don't like his car anywhere near their house, but that is a different story!

I think you would love it here- give it a try!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hme2143 View Post
My Wife and I are considering making a move to Raleigh NC, specifically Apex or Holly Springs. We have two kids 3 and 5 and are looking for a slower paced lifestyle, friendlier people and greener scenery. I currently have a job that allows me to work from home and relocation is not an issue.

Has anyone on the forum made the move from Westcoast to NC? If so what was you experience like? My wife lived in Carey throughout high school and has very fond memories, i've lived most of my life in Arizona so the potential move does make me a little nervous. How would you compare the summer humidity in NC to the desert summer? It seems to at least cool off at night in NC rather than staying in the high 80's like Phoenix. Any insight to offer would be great!
Simple solution. You say your wife was fond of Carey.
Happy wife =happy life.

Yes it does get hot and humid in the summer but nobody dies because of humidity.

About the only difference I have experienced between AZ and NC is that in AZ it is cooler in the shade and in NC the shade does not make you feel cooler.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Yes it does get hot and humid in the summer but nobody dies because of humidity.
Actually, that's not true at all. The heat index is the number to watch for heat stroke deaths and humidity does increase the heat index. A typical 95º degree day in NC with 60% relative humidity (average for midday in the month of July is 56%) yields a heat index of 114º which is in the danger zone. 110º in Phoenix with 20% RH yields a heat index of 110º. Know symptoms and steps to avoid heat stroke, dehydration - USATODAY.com

Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Actually, that's not true at all. The heat index is the number to watch for heat stroke deaths and humidity does increase the heat index. A typical 95º degree day in NC with 60% relative humidity (average for midday in the month of July is 56%) yields a heat index of 114º which is in the danger zone. 110º in Phoenix with 20% RH yields a heat index of 110º. Know symptoms and steps to avoid heat stroke, dehydration - USATODAY.com

Not to mention those many days we have with humidity over 60% and temps above 95.

I think people misjudge by using temp only though, because a 90-degree day (not at all unusual here in summer) is dangerous once we get up to 70% humidity (not at all unusual, either).

Old 01-18-2014, 01:55 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Not to mention those many days we have with humidity over 60% and temps above 95.

I think people misjudge by using temp only though, because a 90-degree day (not at all unusual here in summer) is dangerous once we get up to 70% humidity (not at all unusual, either).
OK I was wrong, I stand corrected.

To the OP do not move to NC because there is a good chance of dying in the summer with all the heat and humidity we have here.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
OK I was wrong, I stand corrected.

To the OP do not move to NC because there is a good chance of dying in the summer with all the heat and humidity we have here.

Did anyone say that?

It was more of an "It probably feels much hotter here and can be dangerous on high heat index days."

Just looking at the avg high in Scottsdale and the avg high in the Triangle in summer isn't going to help the OP make a realistic choice.

We've had many people who post on here make moves from AZ to NC and admit that the humidity makes it feel pretty nasty in summer. Just being straightforward with the OP.

We have AC here... naturally, if the OP plans to utilize it, there's not likely to be an issue if he/she doesn't intend to do yard work at 1pm in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary