Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:50 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,731,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
It's funny. I just looked at my weekly update from realtor.com--I have it set for properties in Durham right now. I'm always amazed at the prices of sf homes--half price, or probably less, than comparable properties in E. Mass. And I don't know if this Winter's the worst one yet (in Mass.), but it has to be close. It's relentless.

I'd like to add a question to what the OP asked, something like: Could a "Massachusetts Liberal" survive in NC? Just meaning, if someone has "Democratic sensibilities", would they feel out of place in the Raleigh-Durham-Cary areas? Not that I go around ranting about Politics or anything, I'd just as soon talk about the Red Sox, or where to get good Bar-B-Que.

For the people who moved to NC from Mass.: count yourselves lucky--this Winter is truly hideous......
Remember not to take housing prices out of context. Looking at a nice home in a neighborhood with schools with poor test scores is not comparable to a neighborhood with schools with good test scores back home. Not saying that was the case in your example, but just a warning that you need to compare apples to apples. A close in Boston suburb with excellent schools is not a fair comparison to a town out in the boondocks where half the kids don't go to college, for example. Sometimes people are swayed by the home prices, but when they dig a little deeper and want the same comparable amenities to back home (educated population, good schools, close to employment centers, etc.), the housing prices go up.

Chapel Hill is very liberal. I consider myself somewhat liberal but feel like a conservative around here. Durham is pretty liberal, too. You hit red territory in the more rural suburbs of the Triangle.

Winter hasn't been that great here in NC this year either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,980,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Could a "Massachusetts Liberal" survive in NC? Just meaning, if someone has "Democratic sensibilities", would they feel out of place in the Raleigh-Durham-Cary areas?
I moved from one of the "bluest" towns in Eastern Mass and I don't feel like this area is oppressively conservative or anything. As someone else pointed out, the state government is sort of hard-core right-wing right now, but that seems to bother a lot of people, not just us transplants, and I'm hoping that will change significantly in the next election. The actual Triangle area seems very progressive overall, not like San Francisco or Cambridge, but enough so that I don't feel like I've moved to another planet. I see plenty of Obama bumperstickers and with the exception of one barber in downtown Raleigh, I haven't had anyone attempt to engage me in blatantly reactionary conversation.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the cities and towns around here seem to be much more genuinely "diverse" or integrated than Boston. The City of Boston has a wide diversity of population, but there are still a lot of "nice" towns (my old one included) and neighborhoods where you just don't see many black people. I prefer to raise my kids in a town where they meet a lot of different kinds of people, not just people who look like them, and Garner (and Raleigh generally) certainly fits that category.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM

613 posts, read 940,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I moved from one of the "bluest" towns in Eastern Mass and I don't feel like this area is oppressively conservative or anything. As someone else pointed out, the state government is sort of hard-core right-wing right now, but that seems to bother a lot of people, not just us transplants, and I'm hoping that will change significantly in the next election. The actual Triangle area seems very progressive overall, not like San Francisco or Cambridge, but enough so that I don't feel like I've moved to another planet. I see plenty of Obama bumperstickers and with the exception of one barber in downtown Raleigh, I haven't had anyone attempt to engage me in blatantly reactionary conversation.
Thanks to both scratchie & michgc for the responses. As far as: "the state government is sort of hard-core right-wing right now, but that seems to bother a lot of people, not just us transplants......The actual Triangle area seems very progressive overall, not like San Francisco or Cambridge, but enough so that I don't feel like I've moved to another planet."--yeah, that's exactly what I was getting at, well put.

The weather--I've been watching the winter storms in the Southeast. Pretty nasty. Today it seems to have turned into a real Blizzard here in E. Mass. The cold is the worst--the zero degree (F.) nights & mornings; yesterday got all the way up to 18 degrees......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary