U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 PM

68 posts, read 259,399 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some info. on Special Education Services in Wake Forest schools, looking again in the area to relocate and my son will be entering kindergarten in Sept. 08. I do not have a specific definite diagnoses but they loosely diagnosed him with PDD-NOS. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 PM

68 posts, read 160,887 times
Hi, I came here about 6 months ago. I am not in Wake, but looked there too. I saw on the news recently that one of the special ed classes in the Morrisville schools was held in a former bathroom. Having a special ed child myself I was angered and upset. I am not in Wake county schools, but that doesn't matter. What ever school you decide, discuss what is available, take names and get it in writing if possible. My child is not recieving as much services as she was in NY, but thankfully she does have a very attentive teacher and is doing better, maybe its the air....who knows!?! Good luck with your search, and please, please double check what anyone tells you.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,812,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjandamom View Post
Can anyone give me some info. on Special Education Services in Wake Forest schools, looking again in the area to relocate and my son will be entering kindergarten in Sept. 08. I do not have a specific definite diagnoses but they loosely diagnosed him with PDD-NOS. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
When are you planning on moving to the area? If you move to wake county, you can have your son evaluated (for free) through project enlightenment (which is affliated with wake county public schools). Project enlightment is amazing and will be able to give you a diagnosis (if appropriate) and suggest what would help him to succeed within the school system. They can also get him enrolled in integrated preschool programs, if he qualifies. Anyhow, if you are not going to be here prior to his enrollment in the school system, then I would have him privately tested where you are now. Wake County public schools will need a copy of his diagnosis, and then they can meet with you, the special needs liason, his teacher, etc and set up an IEP (Individual education plan) that will be followed by his teacher. Each school is a bit different, but they all function under wake county public schools, so you can call their main office and get some good information.

I would also suggest that you call project enlightenment and see if they can help you in any way. They may be able to give you some advice as far as things you can do before you move, etc.

My daughter attends elementary school in wake forest, north forest pines (which is year round) and we have been quite happy with her teacher and the administrative staff.

Anyhow, hope this helps!

Leigh

Old 11-28-2007, 07:36 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,493,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia393 View Post
Hi, I came here about 6 months ago. I am not in Wake, but looked there too. I saw on the news recently that one of the special ed classes in the Morrisville schools was held in a former bathroom. Having a special ed child myself I was angered and upset. I am not in Wake county schools, but that doesn't matter. What ever school you decide, discuss what is available, take names and get it in writing if possible. My child is not recieving as much services as she was in NY, but thankfully she does have a very attentive teacher and is doing better, maybe its the air....who knows!?! Good luck with your search, and please, please double check what anyone tells you.
Get the full story in that before you go spreading innuendo.

FORMER bathroom...it didn't have kids using it as a restroom at the time...and it was a temp measure until other arrangements were in place.

Also, it was smaller, it couldn't hold a full size classroom...they had to go with a smaller class size. They weren't targeting special ed children.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:47 PM

68 posts, read 259,399 times
Desdemona123 do you mind telling me where u moved to?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 PM

820 posts, read 2,502,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
When are you planning on moving to the area? If you move to wake county, you can have your son evaluated (for free) through project enlightenment (which is affliated with wake county public schools).

You can also contact the Raleigh CDSA

Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,493,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjandamom View Post
Desdemona123 do you mind telling me where u moved to?
As my profile says, I live in Wake Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary