U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 PM

3,833 posts, read 2,801,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2NC View Post
I'm just a little concerned about encountering any ugliness, especially for the kids. I grew up in a bi-racial family in eastern Long Island and it was brutal.
I really don't think that would be an issue in most anywhere in the Triangle. I'm sure there are a few bad apples out there in all the communities, but I know lots of biracial and multiracial families and I think they're pretty happy with the quality of life here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 05:31 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,309,088 times
There are quite a few biracial families around here. I will say that I think you'll find more biracial families in the "core" of the Triangle than you'll find as you move outward. That's not to say there still aren't a good many in places like Fuquay-Varina, just saying that you'll probably find more in Raleigh, Cary, Durham, or Chapel Hill.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:24 PM

59 posts, read 40,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2NC View Post
Thanks for the advice. We had planned to rent first, but that would entail two moves, probably within a year's time and I just can't bear it. We're visiting monthly until we find something and we have friends down there as well, who might the able to check out a neighborhood for us here and there. I agree with the suggestion to rent, but I don't think it's going to be practical for us, unfortunately. Moving costs can really add up. As for Harnett County, I will definitely run that past the realtor. We just saw something in Johnson's Landing out in Angiers, right at the edge of F-V. Beautiful, lakeside house, reasonably priced. I'm just a little concerned about encountering any ugliness, especially for the kids. I grew up in a bi-racial family in eastern Long Island and it was brutal. I'm not stereotyping the south, clearly, since my horror story took place pretty far up north. Ignorance is everywhere, but I'd rather not live next door to it, if I can avoid it. Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.
Before you decide, be sure to compare the Harnett County School district with Wake County school district by looking at the district and individual schools report cards. You can also compare them at any of the public school review sites online. I have a favorite of my own but don't know if I can mention it in this forum.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 PM

29 posts, read 16,675 times
Thanks so much! You guys have been really helpful. I think we can agree that my former realtor was way off the mark and we're in a better place now. I had a feeling that he just wasn't right. I'm so glad I trusted my instincts. We will broaden our search a bit now to include Garner and Clayton. When you all say that these neighborhoods are far from other areas, are we talking 30-40 mins or is it substantially more that that? I plotted the time/distance to downtown Raleigh from F-V and Angier and it was 30mins or less, depending on the starting address. That seems reasonable (even relatively short) by NYC standards. Our NYC commute is roughly 18 miles, but it can easily take an hour in traffic to travel those 18 miles. To give you some idea of how distance and time are meaningless to us, we drop our little one off 6 miles from our house and it takes 30, sometimes 40 minutes to do that! Traffic here is absolutely insane. When we've visited RDU during the week and have been in traffic during rush hour, we really haven't felt stressed. It seems mild to us, comparatively. I suppose once we've been there for awhile, that will change and we may find ourselves feeling like you guys.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,309,088 times
People who work in DT Raleigh seem to like Garner, Clayton, and FV just fine.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for people working in RTP, though.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM

3,833 posts, read 2,801,038 times
You said:
Quote:
What we're looking for is a quiet, safe neighborhood, where we can raise kids.
and really I think that you can find that pretty much anywhere in the Triangle. Coming from NYC, I'd think you might like to be closer in a little bit since it's still all very suburban right up until about the 2 sq miles of downtown Raleigh. I know Fuquay would be too far out for me and that doesn't have anything to do with race. FTR, I'm white. I might be able to do Apex in a pinch, but I'm a Chapel Hill person. A lot of people do love Fuquay and Apex, though, and it might be a good fit for you, but it's just kinda too far out in the boonies for me.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:35 PM

446 posts, read 928,048 times
Be careful buying on the south side.....traffic is murder trying to get thru town.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM

179 posts, read 222,360 times
I work in Cary and never have a problem with traffic...also Harnett county high schools surpassed my expectations when my son was in school. I was very happy despite what the ratings said i should expect.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:51 PM

30 posts, read 11,544 times
Does anyone have insight on the amber ridge community in fv?

Old 08-02-2014, 02:34 PM

29 posts, read 16,675 times
Mokaspeight, I would start a separate thread in order to get the best/most replies to your question.

Last edited by BK2NC; 08-02-2014 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary