Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM

41 posts, read 66,020 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move this summer and F-V is at the top of the list. I've read all of the responses to the OP and am left with only one question, how are middle class people of color received? Two years ago, when we first decided to move to NC (from NY), the realtor we were working with advised us to avoid not only F-V, but also Clayton, Garner, Wendell, and Zebulon. He said that we wouldn't be welcome there because we are 1) from NY and 2) not white. He actually mentioned the movie, "Deliverance," as a point of reference. Then again, he was also completely terrified of all of Durham county and nearly refused to show us anything out that way, which was ridiculous. Being from NY, we were dependent upon him at the time. We've since visited several times and it goes without saying that we found a new realtor, but we haven't yet made a trip out to Fuquay and we won't until March. It sounds like F-V has change quite a bit or perhaps our previous realtor out of touch. Our new realtor says that there is an influx of university faculty from local colleges into Fuquay and that we should definitely consider it. Some of the developments we've looked at (online) are South Lakes, Village of Charleston, Crooked Creek at Meadowview, Parker Pointe, Lakestone Village, Summerdale, and Woodchase. Homes in these developments vary tremendously. I'd love feedback on any or all of them. What we're looking for is a quiet, safe neighborhood, where we can raise kids. Not terribly worried about schools, as we've been homeschooling here in the city. We'd likely continue to do so, at least with our high schooler. We might consider sending the little one to a local elementary school. My husband works in human services/social work and I am a college professor, so the area is ideal with so many colleges nearby.
I've posted this to other threads in the forum, so please forgive the redundancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
You may wish to start your own thread & combine with your other post in the other thread. I responded there but it could be confusing to have two of the same post in separate threads.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM

70 posts, read 141,460 times
Why not rent first? I love Fuquay-Varina. But...I would definitely recommend that you rent first before you buy. FV has a diverse selection of neighborhoods, and if you rent you can explore all of them before you buy. FV has a nice feel to it, but you can live just over the line in Apex, Raleigh, or Holly Springs and still be very close to FV central, business, shopping, etc.
FV is a nice area to raise kids, and the issue of schools is not too far off for you, as well. In just 2 or 3 years you will be looking into Pre-K at the public schools. Currently, neither of my 2 kids attend schools in FV. Their assigned schools are in Holly Springs and Raleigh, but that could definitely and probably will change in the next few years. Rent before you buy, and you can explore the area and neighborhoods for yourself. There are some really nice neighborhoods in FV. I would rent and explore a whole host of issues before I would buy anywhere.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM

185 posts, read 472,784 times
If you look on the Harnett County side of Fuquay your money goes even further!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:10 AM

41 posts, read 66,020 times
Thanks for the advice. We had planned to rent first, but that would entail two moves, probably within a year's time and I just can't bear it. We're visiting monthly until we find something and we have friends down there as well, who might the able to check out a neighborhood for us here and there. I agree with the suggestion to rent, but I don't think it's going to be practical for us, unfortunately. Moving costs can really add up. As for Harnett County, I will definitely run that past the realtor. We just saw something in Johnson's Landing out in Angiers, right at the edge of F-V. Beautiful, lakeside house, reasonably priced. I'm just a little concerned about encountering any ugliness, especially for the kids. I grew up in a bi-racial family in eastern Long Island and it was brutal. I'm not stereotyping the south, clearly, since my horror story took place pretty far up north. Ignorance is everywhere, but I'd rather not live next door to it, if I can avoid it. Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
I am shocked that you got that advice..I wonder if the realtor was just stearing you to the higher priced areas by saying that...I have friends in Fuquay that live in the nicest neighborhoods ( about 200-300K homes) and there is certainly racial diversity ..all getting along wonderfully..A lot of people move there to escape the high housing prices in Raleigh and it just feels a bit more peaceful away from the city..

I would pay most attention to crime stats for the areas you are interested...If I see that a neighborhood has more violent crime I could care less what race the thugs are ..

Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
As a Realtor that has sold many homes in FV, I don't know what the heck you've been told but it sounds crazy to me!

I doubt you were told this so you'd spend more but perhaps you were told this because the person telling you this doesn't really know what he was talking about AND sometimes perception is OFF!

FV isn't the most desirable area due to the location, being further from RTP and RDU but my clients that have moved to "The Quay" really like that area and you can get more house for your money than North Raleigh or Cary or Apex.

I find that people base so many of their OPINIONS on what others tell them and NOT what they learn for themselves. First hand knowledge is so much more important.

Once you find a n'hood that you like, walk around, talk to the neighbors, see for YOURSELF if it is a n'hood that YOU feel comfortable with.

Enjoy your home shopping!!!

Vicki

Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
Um, we live in Garner. Our neighborhood is maybe half white, maybe less. WE LOVE IT! We are all welcoming of each other and there are no racial issues (in my small neighborhood I think we have white, black, hispanic, and asian... so pretty well covered lol!). Anyway, we looked in F-V but didn't like how, even though it's pretty self sustaining with lots of cool shops and things, it is SO far from everywhere else. That's why we picked Garner... much closer to Raleigh, Cary, etc. So I think it depends on your definition of 'far' .

Old 01-25-2014, 10:01 AM

289 posts, read 489,288 times
Lots of people from NY, MA, ME, etc here in Clayton, and many different races/cultures here. All welcome! What a kook your realtor was!

Old 01-25-2014, 02:56 PM

185 posts, read 472,784 times
We live in a nice small subdivision named Forest Trails right over the wake county line (3miles) in harnett county very reasonable houses and quiet community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary