Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Your kids will adjust, they always do. But my advice is move before the oldest goes into middle school. THat is a tough transition and going to middle school where everyone thinks they don't know you because they went to MIddle School A and think you went to "B" and vice versa will truly suck.

My kids were 9 and 6 (going into 4th and first grades) and that seemed old to me then but they are definitely NCers now! They all came home from school on the first day with new friends. Kids down here are TOTALLY used to kids moving in and out and it's not an issue at all. When we moved here my son was one of 5 new kids in his class. Kids also switch schools (from YR to traditional, say) so even when they stay in the same house they can still be the new kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
NewUser, thank you for sharing that with me. May I ask why your wife thinks all of that was worth it? :-) What are the things that she is glad about that she moved there for?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM

5,742 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
NewUser, thank you for sharing that with me. May I ask why your wife thinks all of that was worth it? :-) What are the things that she is glad about that she moved there for?
Compared to Dallas, she likes the milder summers (they measure the number of days over 90F here, not over 100F), less people and traffic (i.e., much smaller city), we actually know all of our neighbors and have multiple get-togethers each year (in Dallas she did not even know our next-door neighbors' names and we lived next to them for 9 years), there is more natural beauty here (Dallas is all concrete with big-box retailers on every corner, while here you can drive from Raleigh to RTP on I-40 and rarely see anything but trees. . . no billboards either!). . . . . the list goes on. We do miss the quantity of restaurants though (especially TexMex and Cajun/Creole), but that can be expected due to Raleigh's smaller size.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
Where I used to live and work, my company offered buyouts, since profits were WAY down and they needed to trim payroll. I took their gracious offer. My wife spoke with her management, and they agreed that she could work remotely, and make an occasional trip back (on company expense) for meetings.

My wife had a niece living down here, who was going to have a baby within some months. My wife's sister and her husband had just retired, and they wanted to be around when their daughter's baby was born.

I suggested it to my wife, and she said "yes". So, we moved down here, my wife working remotely, and to be near family. I had made several moves myself, each time not knowing a single person who lived at my new destination, so it wasn't anything really new to me.

Fast-forward a little over a year. We own a home near Youngsville, wife still working from home, she's near family that she sees every couple of days (an gets to watch a new baby grow up to boot). I've gotten an IT job NEAR here, but a bit of a commute.

We did OK. Sort of like being settlers on a new frontier so-to-speak: once you make the decision, don't second-guess yourself. With effort and a positive attitude, it will be like a new home in no time.

As I've told everyone about life here: It's the same. . . only different.

This is kind of like this, but only metaphorical, not literal: Hernán Cortés, the Spanish commander, scuttled his ships, so that his men would have to conquer or die.

Last edited by adams_aj; 01-31-2014 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 32,788 times
I am so glad you wrote this because my family and I are in the same position.. We're saving up money to move in July (unless we find jobs beforehand).. We definitely can't stay here in NY. So we're determined to just make it work.. Going for a visit President's week. I think with determination anything is possible.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
Thanks all for these responses, I appreciate each and every one! Hopefully we can make this move happen, it's long overdue for us!

Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 PM

100 posts, read 136,156 times
Coming from the DC area,

we just got our lease today and will be assuming possession on March 1st. We'll slowly and methodically move between then and June (want to let our children finish out their year in school).

I can work from home...my wife will need to find new employment. We do have a strong amount of savings, so that will help.

My advice? If you have a good amount of savings, then don't worry as much about whether you have employment. Your savings can get you through till you obtain work.

Get out and join the community (I plan to). Most jobs aren't gotten by who you know, but by who knows you. So if you get out and make friends, be visible in the community, someone may be able to set you up for a job.

And just remember...if this is where your meant to be, then it will work out. Be confident and don't second guess. You'll probably have enough people doing that for you.

My wife was online today and found out that we may have to retake the driver's test to change our license over to NC. She got mad and said she didn't want to go now, cause she didn't want to go through that...

I just laughed and said "whatever. I've got to do it too so suck it up". Full steam ahead and don't look back...you'll have enough people second guessing you as it is (even your spouse/significant other)

lol

Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
I agree with a lot of what others have said. Attitude really is a big factor. I also agree with getting involved and building your social network, it helps to make you feel settled and vested in the area.

We relocated, by choice in May. We were not happy in NY and I remind myself of this if I have a bad day . It took several years for us to move, mostly because we not sure at first about moving so far, then because it took time to find a job. We had no pension to work with so we needed one job secured before we could swing it. We have two young children and no family in this area and what made it such a tough decision for me is that even with all the research and visiting there is risk involved. We were not going to know how we felt being so far from family until we started living here. Nobody can give a guarantee on how things will work out but we got to the point where we felt like we would regret not taking the chance and moving here. It has been 9 months and while we are still getting settled and building our social network here, I do not regret the move. Our quality of life is better and we have more opportunities here.

I give you lots of credit for really thinking this through and doing all the research you have done. You are open to what the area has to offer and want the change, I think those are two big important factors in helping you transition. The financial piece is always nerve wracking and I wish you luck with all of this.

oouie433 - The driving test is not that bad, there are threads on here with tips and practice tests.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433 View Post
Coming from the DC area,

we just got our lease today and will be assuming possession on March 1st. We'll slowly and methodically move between then and June (want to let our children finish out their year in school).

I can work from home...my wife will need to find new employment. We do have a strong amount of savings, so that will help.

My advice? If you have a good amount of savings, then don't worry as much about whether you have employment. Your savings can get you through till you obtain work.

Get out and join the community (I plan to). Most jobs aren't gotten by who you know, but by who knows you. So if you get out and make friends, be visible in the community, someone may be able to set you up for a job.

And just remember...if this is where your meant to be, then it will work out. Be confident and don't second guess. You'll probably have enough people doing that for you.

My wife was online today and found out that we may have to retake the driver's test to change our license over to NC. She got mad and said she didn't want to go now, cause she didn't want to go through that...

I just laughed and said "whatever. I've got to do it too so suck it up". Full steam ahead and don't look back...you'll have enough people second guessing you as it is (even your spouse/significant other)

lol
Normally, a road test is not required if you have a valid license.

The written test is difficult, though, so you need to study. You may also need to convert your insurance to NC. Call NC DMV to double check.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Normally, a road test is not required if you have a valid license.

The written test is difficult, though, so you need to study. You may also need to convert your insurance to NC. Call NC DMV to double check.
Just realized I said driving test not written, sorry. I found the links given on old threads really helpful for preparing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary