Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:57 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I grew up here. Graduated from Enloe High in the mid eighties.

I knew MANY kids who had access to pot and alcohol (in particular) through their wealthy parents.

The poor kids had to find their own.

I do not think times have changed radically. There's just more variety now.

Still, I doubt you'll find people out front of their suburban family homes smoking a bowl on a Saturday afternoon unless pot becomes legal.
There was apparently quite a bit of coke coming through NC in the mid 70's and 80's too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:49 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,904 times
Thanks for being straight. That is what I thought. Only difference is here it is out on the stoops, and I am not talking about what you would think of a "terrible" neighborhood. Heroin is on the rise everywhere because of the prescription drug abuse. When those pills get too expensive, and stealing can't support the habit, Herion is a cheap way to get the same high and stop the withdrawals. I have kids in their 20s and we know personally 5 of their childhood friends, dead from this. We know more dead kids than that as well. The 5 we know came from good families, parents didn't use, they loved their kids.....it's just so out of control and heartbreaking and I have two younger kids that I will do anything to educate and protect.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
There was apparently quite a bit of coke coming through NC in the mid 70's and 80's too.
I deleted coke from my post because I didn't know many teens whose parents gave them coke. Knew a good many who used it, though.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Thanks for being straight. That is what I thought. Only difference is here it is out on the stoops, and I am not talking about what you would think of a "terrible" neighborhood. Heroin is on the rise everywhere because of the prescription drug abuse. When those pills get too expensive, and stealing can't support the habit, Herion is a cheap way to get the same high and stop the withdrawals. I have kids in their 20s and we know personally 5 of their childhood friends, dead from this. We know more dead kids than that as well. The 5 we know came from good families, parents didn't use, they loved their kids.....it's just so out of control and heartbreaking and I have two younger kids that I will do anything to educate and protect.
I don't know that it's that bad here. I think prescription drug abuse is bad. I, personally, know of two people who used heroin. One OD'd and one kicked it.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
Step #1: Acknowledge the "War on Drugz" is a complete failure as it is now being waged, and don't jump to "OH-so we should hand out drugs to school children?!?" as the only alternative option.

Until we as a society admit our fake drug war isn't serving the US citizenry all else is lost.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
When I was a teen in LI in the 60's, there was a serious drug problem which was not largely publicized.

I worked grave shift in a gas station and many times received "uppers" as tips from truckers.

Meth was being smoked, snorted, and mainlined.

I grew up and have been sober since 1970. I have a sensitive security clearance.

Drugs are an issue everywhere not just the big cities.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
My answer to the op is that drugs don't seem as prevalent here as some other states. The problem lies in that its not due to non use but to non admittance. There is a social stigma still attached to what a drug user is and how to treat them. People fear the legal and social ramifications to treat the addict. I've seen this in my own family. I've seen it in myself. I watched my mother cry when I told a postal worker to not accept packages to mail from her house. My brother was stealing her what nots,China etc.. And selling on eBay. She was more worried about the police arresting him then the danger of him stealing and using the money to buy drugs in the hood. Now I'm not saying the drugs are just in the hood. Not true... But they might start at the country club but eventually they lead there. And trust me they are waiting for mommys BMW to park in McDougal terrace 24/7. Progressive drug therapy saved my life but I'd do anything to have that first time back to do over. I try everyday to instill earned self esteem in my child so that in the face of that choice she has the strength and self love to say no.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
I don't think the drug use here, in most nicer neighborhoods is anywhere nearly as bad as what is being described on Long Island. But it is here. Drug use is till glamorized on TV and movies. Nearly every show we watch now has regular pot smokers. Kids see this too. Smoking pot on TV, has taken the place of what used to be cigarettes. You don't see TV cops and detectives walking around with a cig hanging from their lip like you did in the 70s or 80s, but you see people smoking weed on TV all the time now. And I fully understand that weed isn't "terrible" like heroine. But as a whole, we're promoting drug use. Moms may not sit on the front porch and smoke, but they are smoking and popping pills. I think anti-depressants are very popular, as are pain meds. I only know a few people who use meth, and it's pretty obvious, they are no longer "normal" and the signs are very obvious. But the ones I know are from smaller towns, and generally "lower income" people. People who can afford "better drugs" than meth and crack, will usually pass on that stuff.

As for seeing drugs out on public, sure, I see and "smell" them all the time if we're still counting weed as a drug. Otherwise, no, it's not prominent. Is it in the school, sure it is. As long as kids want it, they'll get it.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Yeah, weed is all over, but I don't personally know that I know anyone who uses heroin. I mean they might use and I might not know, but I don't think that's like what you're describing. I don't hear about a lot of drug overdoses either. I do know of one acquaintance who lost her son to what I think was an OD, but just from hearsay I believe that was prescription drugs. It wasn't in the Triangle, either, but elsewhere in NC. I knew of a musician who OD'd many years ago and a musician who got clean. He later died of an unrelated illness — cancer. Probably there have been some other overdoses that I have heard about and I just can't recall them at the moment, but I definitely don't know about multiple high school kids OD-ing.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I deleted coke from my post because I didn't know many teens whose parents gave them coke. Knew a good many who used it, though.
The parents kept it for themselves, most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary