Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
I have, and regularly use, a Spider Saver. It provides a means to gently capture indoor spiders and lovingly transport them out of the house.
I usually gently & lovingly transport them to my special spider jacuzzi
...then I flush ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I killed a black widow on my front door last Summer. Quite a few spiders around. Most harmless and catch more annoying insects.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
Previously, we lived on a lot that backed up to falls lake - woods, fewer streetlights, much more nature.

Temporarily (between houses), we lived in an apartment complex backing up to lake crabtree - tons of spiders on the outside building webs - totally creepy -- but nothing inside that I ever saw.

We currently live in a new house in Cary - fewer trees, much more ambient light, much much less nature.

If you were afraid of bugs, snakes, nature in general then I'd live in a house with little land and have an exterminator make regular visits to your house and spray inside/out.

It won't eliminate them 100%, but if you are also good about regularly taking a broom and sweeping off any webs outside along with small, dry lot and an exterminator visiting regularly... then your wife might be able to pretend they simply do not exist.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
I have never lived anywhere in the Raleigh area without them. The plus side is I have never had a problem or infestation either. Waterbugs are abundant especially if you live near water or swampy areas. Other then those suckers ,the spiders tend to stay out side.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I usually gently & lovingly transport them to my special spider jacuzzi
...then I flush ..
I was thinking the bottom of my shoe but I like the spider Jacuzzi better Although, I have not really found many spiders, giant roaches are another story

Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 PM

138 posts, read 256,806 times
In our current house (which has lots of trees, but is not technically "wooded") I've never seen a spider inside. I don't recall seeing one outside, but other than watching kids play or chasing them I don't do much work outside.

The house we are building has a wooded lot. Talking to other neighbors with the same type of basement/lot they've said the spiders will come if you don't keep up with the exterminator.

Maybe I've not been around long enough, but thus far I can't see spiders as enough of an issue to not move.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Most of what we have here is harmless. The biggest, gnarliest, nastiest looking ones are not a problem, but she will see spiders here (including Brown Recluse and Black Widows, which both give a nasty bite):

Google Image Search of "NC Spiders"

It's not a problem here, but if she's deathly afraid, then Antarctica might be a better choice. (Sarcasm, but just saying warm, moist, humid environments will grow some spiders)
I thought the one with the hairy mandibles was pretty cute, honestly. According to the subtitle, he was a jumper too!

I have encountered a number of these on my treks outside in NC. In the morning you may find an intricate web stretched across a path. If you don't see it, it may wrap around your face and the spider will be crawling somewhere on you. This has happened more times than I can count and I have yet to be seriously hurt. I suppose I am lucky not to have encountered the brown recluse.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 PM

698 posts, read 960,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
giant roaches are another story
Oh no, are there Palmetto bugs that far north?

Thought by moving from FL to NC I could get away from them

Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Oh no, are there Palmetto bugs that far north?

Thought by moving from FL to NC I could get away from them
I've never seen a palmetto bug or a cockroach here. They are not everywhere.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
There was one on the outside of my 10 year old's bedroom window yesterday. She does not like roaches and was pretty unnerved by it. It was a big sucker, too. At least as big as my thumb, but on the OUTSIDE of the window screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary