U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM

52 posts, read 574,611 times

Advertisements

Is there a website to check, which magnet middle school does a magnet elementary school will feed to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 04:29 PM

597 posts, read 990,890 times
I have no idea. They used to have a lot of good information on their website when I was enrolling my oldest but I could not find anything when I recently enrolled my youngest. Is there a particular school you are wondering about?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 21,803,020 times
magnet schools follow "programs" not schools (if that makes sense). They don't really "feed in" anymore, you get first priority when you re-apply at the next school level.
So, during the 5th grade year at your magnet elementary school, you have to re-apply for a magnet middle school and you get first priority if you apply for a middle school which has the same program you are currently in (IB, AG, GT. leadership etc). You get second priority if you apply to a different magnet program.
SO, you need to look at your list of elementary schools and match up the programs to the schools, that will tell you where you can expect to go for middle if you stay in the same program.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:33 AM

621 posts, read 788,431 times
Plus you can use your address on WCPSS site to find assigned/ eligible magnet schools.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:23 AM

451 posts, read 1,009,110 times
WCPSS website does a horrible job of giving actual information that would be helpful to parents. We have a rising K student and between the website and people at various levels we got different answers to the same questions. Some told us the capping decision hadn't been made as of last week. Others told us it was decided months ago. Some told us they have a wait list if capped. Others told us that there may be a wait list, but there also may not be one, and they won't decide until May. We can apply to a magnet, but if we do, we are taken off the theoretical wait list that may or may not exist. It's comical.

I'd think that the biggest parental frustration is the lack of clarity. How hard is it to just clearly define the system in place? Perhaps it's because the system changes from day to day.

I understand why they cap enrollment, but I wish I could get a rebate on the property taxes I pay to be in Lacy while my children must choose from overflow to Stough or Durant Rd (45 min bus ride each way). We moved knowing this was a possibility and I do understand. But ultimately, it will force us to look private. I was raised in public and didn't want the stigma of my kids in private but this board leaves us little choice. I guess if they want good students from involved parents leaving the system, they are achieving it.

Sorry for the rant, the process has been very frustrating.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM

825 posts, read 1,620,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
WCPSS website does a horrible job of giving actual information that would be helpful to parents. We have a rising K student and between the website and people at various levels we got different answers to the same questions. Some told us the capping decision hadn't been made as of last week. Others told us it was decided months ago. Some told us they have a wait list if capped. Others told us that there may be a wait list, but there also may not be one, and they won't decide until May. We can apply to a magnet, but if we do, we are taken off the theoretical wait list that may or may not exist. It's comical.

I'd think that the biggest parental frustration is the lack of clarity. How hard is it to just clearly define the system in place? Perhaps it's because the system changes from day to day.

I understand why they cap enrollment, but I wish I could get a rebate on the property taxes I pay to be in Lacy while my children must choose from overflow to Stough or Durant Rd (45 min bus ride each way). We moved knowing this was a possibility and I do understand. But ultimately, it will force us to look private. I was raised in public and didn't want the stigma of my kids in private but this board leaves us little choice. I guess if they want good students from involved parents leaving the system, they are achieving it.

Sorry for the rant, the process has been very frustrating.
Sorry you have that uncertainty but didn't you move before December? I think if you can prove you were in that house before Dec and are new to the public school system, you'll get into Lacy (otherwise how would any new kid get in?). The capping, as I understand it, is for people who move after the traditional enrollment. But I think that Lacy, in general, is always going to be capped because it's so popular.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 PM

451 posts, read 1,009,110 times
Had to have been in prior to Dec 2012 unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary