Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:38 AM

225 posts, read 953,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Yes, Mrs. Tomlinson, (the one with the short blonde hair) is very friendly. I hope dearly that your son does not have the infamous "Ms. Murray" as his junior english teacher...lol..that's who my son had and he said she was the hardest teacher ever...barely scraped out with a C...which was his first C since the 6th grade unforuntely.

No, he has a different counselor, which starts with a "C"==can't rememeber the name off hand, but, it's in my paper work. It's good to know there are more then one. I'm glad he dosen't have Ms. Murray....he would never make it...lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 AM

56 posts, read 355,872 times
Wow, rsm79 I am so sorry to hear about your son and his friends getting involved with drugs and alcohol. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience and advice with the rest of us. It was a hard decision for us to make between GH and Apex, but (even though we were really impressed with GH's scores and nice new campus) in the end we decided to go with Apex for various reasons.
One was that I kept hearing about GH's students being mostly overprivileged rich kids, that there was a snobby and "entitled" attitude there, etc. I didn't take those comments 100% seriously, but I really did keep hearing the same thing over and over.
**I understand that this is just some people's perception, and I am not meaning to say anything against GH or its students! **
It did make me think about my own high school experience though and got me thinking about what I want/don't want for my kids... I want them to have an experience of high school more like my husband's at a public HS in Chicago suburbs than like mine away at a boarding school.
I think it's interesting that so many of our parenting decisions are based on wanting to do either exactly what our parents did for us, or exactly the opposite of what they did! Anyway, Apex really feels like a good fit for us so far. Everyone we've dealt with there has been very helpful, and we're looking forward to the kids starting there in the Fall. Thanks for sharing your advice rsm. -- Amy

Old 01-27-2007, 12:41 PM

31 posts, read 116,179 times
I've heard good things about Apex HS, but both my kids graduated from GH (one in 2002, the other in 2005), so I can only offer first-hand knowledge about GH: Drugs? I suppose this problem is everywhere - We've heard horror stories from all the other high schools as well. Neither of my kids ever had problems or pressures along these lines. Wealthy? Yes, probably a higher percentage of families with bucks. We're middle-of-the-road financially, and felt like we fit in just fine. Test scores? Probably the best in Wake County. This can be a blessing or a curse. My daughter graduated with a 4.0 and wasn't even in the top 20% of her class. This make it more difficult with college applications (colleges look for class rank). As a parent, I was involved in volunteering there, including the marching band. I saw kids get intro trouble, but the majority were hard-working and respectful. I don't think you'd go wrong with either Apex or GH, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary