Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 AM

258 posts, read 672,980 times

Advertisements

See my post about 4wd volunteering....any hospital staff can point folks like me who want to help in the right direction?

Wake med "co-ordinated" us that year...dunno if hospitals still do this or even have volunteers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I'm fine with the OP being a nurse and not wanting to work in inclement weather... soo... get a lower-paying job at a doctor's office. They close when the weather is bad. Working in a hospital during bad weather and expecting to be allowed to call in due to "weather" is just slack.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 PM

125 posts, read 195,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
See my post about 4wd volunteering....any hospital staff can point folks like me who want to help in the right direction?

Wake med "co-ordinated" us that year...dunno if hospitals still do this or even have volunteers
Many hospitals have an emergency line for staff. Contact your supervisor if you need more information.

For Duke, just contact the main hospital and request the number for the SNOW SHUTTLE. They will ask for your ID # and your location, and will let you know when to expect someone to arrive to get you. They offer the snow shuttle to employees within a 10 mile radius from the facility at which you work.

Also there is a running list of employees who have vehicles that are willing to transport nurses in and out of the hospital at scheduled times, again within a 10 mile radius.

Never forget public transit is probably running as well, so when in doubt, call your local transit authority and ask if they are offering services to essential employees during the storm. (DATA transit in Durham usually doesn't mind if you show your badge, or you can pay and ask that your employer reimburse you the $1-$2 that you paid. Honestly, it's probably cheaper than driving in the inclement weather.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:48 PM

I'd just like to add, that not all nurses are like this. Trust me, I've met nurses like this. Your kid is sick and it's the end of the world and you must call out for 3 shifts that week to take care of your child who is obviously feeling better since on my ONE day off I saw you at the mall eating pizza together. It's nurses like this that make me want to scream.

EVERYONE has responsibilities. EVERYONE has something they would rather be doing than driving to work in inclement weather. EVERYONE has some excuse, but that doesn't mean that it's right.

When living in a place like North Carolina, did you ever set up a contingency plan if your child needed to stay home from school and you needed to be at work? What would happen if your child fell ill at school and you were taking care of patients? Would you leave in the middle of providing care just to pick your kid up from school? I get it, life happens, and life gets in the way. You are REQUIRED to be there for your scheduled shifts. You are NOT required to stay overnight, that's your choice. But come hell or high water, you need to be there for your shifts. That is YOUR responsibility.

Because you don't show up, another nurse is having to leave her child unattended because she had only planned for a few extra hours, not a full extra shift. Because you don't show up, another nurse can't make it back home in time to check on their ailing parent who might turn the stove on to stay warm. Because you don't show up, another nurse is having to work longer hours, probably doing double overtime, and you're worried because of snow? Buck up buttercup, you knew what you were getting into by moving here. You knew what you were getting into by getting a hospital job. You knew what you were getting into by becoming a nurse. People don't stop being sick because it's snowing outside.

In this nonexistent nursing shortage, the profession would not be hurting if you were fired. So please, with all do respect, feel free to call out because of the weather. I know a thousand other nurses who are anxiously awaiting a solid hospital position and wouldn't call out because it's cold and snowing.

Coming from a Florida girl who moved in the middle of winter here, I have ZERO tolerance for you. If you were my coworker, I'd give you an earful about how selfish, self-centered and down right foolish you are to think that your job matters so little. You are in this profession to take care of the sick and ailing, not to turn your back when they need you the most. Shame on you.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Looks like you shoulda been worried about getting home Wednesday night. With those hours the overnight shacking in a room with others was your best bet.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:08 PM

If you really don't want to stay at the hospital but don't feel safe driving home either, they offer discounted rates to stay in a hotel for essential personnel. Now the hotels are usually the ones right next to the hospital. But if that will give you peace of mind, so be it.

Also a good idea if you have kids that are staying home from school and you don't want to be separated from them, park them in a hotel, find a coworker that may also have kids and swap shifts watching them. Especially useful if you have a night shift coworker! Adult in the room, less likely your kids will be too rambunctious because they'll be quiet to let your coworker sleep. (Especially well behaved children!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary