U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 AM

818 posts, read 402,286 times

Advertisements

No power outages here in NW Raleigh. Lots of thick ice. I opened the back door for the dog. Not realizing how icy the steps were until the dog went sliding down them in to the yard and then kept skating around. Lol he keeps wanting to go back put there, silly dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 AM

618 posts, read 368,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Remember that you can take old water bottles fill and let them freeze out side, and bring them in your refrigerator and freezer should the power drop out.
Good idea. Along the same lines: if your freezer has empty space, fill it with water containers. If a power outage occurs, transfer those ice blocks to the refrigerator. This practice does not rely on sub-freezing outdoor temperatures.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 AM

3,249 posts, read 1,353,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Good idea. Along the same lines: if your freezer has empty space, fill it with water containers. If a power outage occurs, transfer those ice blocks to the refrigerator. This practice does not rely on sub-freezing outdoor temperatures.

If you have enough advance warning, I would fill and freeze containers and transfer them to the fridge, and then put more containers in the freezer to freeze, all *before* the power goes out. Once the power goes out, you don't want to open your fridge or freezer for any reason. You're letting warm air in. Warm air is the enemy. :-)

And the more full your freezer is, the longer it can go before things start to thaw. My parents lost power during the derecho in DC in 2012 and didn't have power for three days. Because their freezer was PACKED, everything was still frozen solid, with the exception of a few items in the door racks.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:36 AM

500 posts, read 218,398 times
Don't think there were many outages here, which is a good thing.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,629,573 times
I won't be celebrating our not losing power until the trees outside my house are no longer coated in ice. I wasn't worried about the weather system yesterday as much as the icing conditions today.

So far, so good (writes the guy while typing with crossed fingers).

Old 02-13-2014, 09:44 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,641,139 times
My trees here in N Raleigh are dripping which is a good sign. Means it's warmer than 32 and the icing is going away. Now we just need to get through the next snow round and we'll be good.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,525,603 times
We lost power for almost 4 hours here in central Cary...12:30 AM until a little after 4:00. Some impressive booms from fuse cutouts blowing when it went out.

Had another brief blip about an hour ago and TWC Internet/phone didn't want to come back up afterwards, but got it after a few minutes.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM

676 posts, read 651,097 times
Power outages don't bother me in the least. I take all the precautions I can and if it goes out so be it. I actually enjoy it...

Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM

3,460 posts, read 6,433,123 times
Worried about a power outage.. at this point in time, not so much.

Worried about tree branches falling and hitting my house.. yes.. tally so far, 4 large pine branches down, 1 broken kitchen window and 1 damaged gutter. It's going to be a fun night!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:14 PM

9,122 posts, read 10,669,064 times
We lost power here in West Cary for 4 hours earlier. It was just starting to get pretty cold in the house and the kids were starting to fight. Glad it's back and hope it stays!

ETA Duke Energy just sent an automated call to say that the outage was due to falling limbs damaging their equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary