U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM

572 posts, read 576,594 times

Advertisements

So we are visiting next week from the UK to look at schools and for me to make up my mind whether we want to relocate - my husband was there earlier and he loved it there.

So I have been trawling this site and Carolina parent and have come up with a list of things that we can do with the children (3,6,9) next week and places to take them to eat. We want them to have fun as well as having to do quite a lot of boring stuff like school assessments!

So if you are a parent of under 10s please could you tell me if there are some things I don't have on my list. Or your children's favourite places.

We would be very grateful. Thanks Oh we will be staying in Raleigh but driving all over the Triangle so doesn't matter where.

This is our list:

Defy gravityMarbles kids museumSarah P Duke gardensPullen ParkRDU observation parkThe Pit Gypsy's shiny dinerDave & Busters - not sure if this place is really for kids?Elmo's DinerMellow Mushroom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM

3,077 posts, read 4,989,904 times
The Museum of Life and Science in Durham is awesome for young children, lot's of hands-on displays and age all appropriate. Also, Frankie's Fun Park isn't bad but might be better if the weather is mild enough to indulge in their outdoor activities.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM

998 posts, read 1,243,826 times
How exciting! The snow should be gone by next week. We have lived here two weeks today and have been busy looking for a school for our son. We are just searching for a part time preschool at the moment and finding them to be a bit different than preschool he was in when we lived in FL. The ones I researched before we moved an liked are full or too far from our rental home. We were planning on maybe venturing out with him next week and do some fun stuff. Since we have been here we have seen snow twice and busy unpacking and looking at schools. He is getting bored with all of that and after 3 days being stuck in around the house, we are ready for some fun too. I am glad you started this thread, might give us some ideas of fun stuff to do. My son was born in UK and I have an English husband. When we were back in the UK in Sept my son fell in love with the clock & bell towers at the local church and Big Ben. So we might take him to the NC States Bell tower or Duke chapel. Hope you have a great trip here! Look forward to hearing how you like it here.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM

64 posts, read 119,273 times
Science Museum in Raleigh….it's free and you can eat lunch on the top floor of the main museum or in the newer section at the Daily Planet Cafe.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:13 PM

386 posts, read 671,443 times
When we go to Marbles we always stop at Krispy Kreme. It's just a few blocks away and super fun when the conveyor belt is going. You can easily see the donuts rising, frying, flipping, and getting coated with the glaze. And of course they are insanely delicious hot off the line. They aren't always running the line, but we have pretty good luck.

Also, try to go to Defy Gravity on a school day - so don't go on Monday. Otherwise it will be super crowded. My kids (also 3, 6, and 9) love that place.

While Duke Gardens are gorgeous, I don't know about it on February.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM

9,942 posts, read 10,229,360 times
The Natural Science museum in Raleigh is good, but better for older kids. I'd say the 9 year old is really at the beginning of the age range for that. You really need to be able to read and operate a computer to get the most out of that museum.

Museum of Life & Science is perfect for your kids ages. There is something for everyone and you don't have to be able to read to enjoy it. Lots for little ones as well as big ones.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:51 PM

15,720 posts, read 23,949,403 times
You have a good list already. You can take the kids to Dave and Buster's. IF it's nice out you can also go to Frankie's Fun Park and do the go-karts, my kids love that. It's supposed to be nice, weather-wise, this week.

I agree about the science museums. I've not been to the one in Durham but the one in Raleigh is good. You could also go to the NC History Museum across the plaza. The state capitol building is right there too.

The NC Art Museum also has an outdoor path with artwork along the way, that would be nice on a nice day.

Walking around Chapel Hill/UNC's campus is also nice if your kids are good walkers.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:55 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,846,910 times
The Shiny Diner isn't necessarily worth it's own trip but an idea might be to combine it with roller skating ( JellyBeans ) is just down the street or ice skating (it's right next to the Polar ice house).

Burgerfi (several locations) is also a good option with kids.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:34 PM

556 posts, read 717,563 times
Big Ed's in downtown Raleigh is a lot of fun for Saturday breakfast/brunch. I think they close at noon, so get there early.

Definitely Frankie's over Dave and Busters. Frankie's is more child oriented, and has some indoor rides and a playground that would be appropriate for 3 and 6 year olds. There are plenty of arcade games to occupy a 9 year old.

There is the Kidzu museum in Chapel Hill. They were in the process of moving, and I don't know if they have opened in the new location yet. Also in Chapel Hill - the lunch counter at Sutton's Drug Store is fun, and the Morehead Planetarium has great children's programming.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 688,164 times
Kidzu just reopened today at the new location in University Mall. We used to go there a bunch at the previous locations. We might check it out this Sunday, as it's free on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary