U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 AM

239 posts, read 987,361 times

Advertisements

We are debating abut buyng a lot in Chapel Hill and building a house. I don't know if we will be in the house by the start of the school year. We would want our children to start the school year in that school and not transition mid year. Anyone know if you are building but not living in the house can kids go to the public school for that house? We currently live in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM

10,695 posts, read 11,336,851 times
No, I don't think you can go to the school unless you live in the zone for the school. You know how construction projects are. A person could buy land and say they were going to build, but then decide against it. Or someone could build a house and then decide to sell the house instead of occupying it. I'd be surprised if CHCCS would accept that as a possibility. I think CHCCS requires proof of residency, such as a power bill or water bill for the address in your name. If you just have a few finishing touches, but are receiving mail there, and could show a power bill or water bill that would probably work, but if you're just framing and don't have proof of residency then I don't think that would work. Alternately you could rent an apartment in the school zone while you finish it, but I don't think it would work to just say you were building a house.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:32 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,686,899 times
I don't know specifically about CHCCS, but in our last school district as long as you had a contract, you were allowed to attend the school in that district. My friends built a house and they just had to show the contract they had with the builder as proof. That was in NoVA, though, so it's not unheard of. Probably worth calling on Monday, although I find it's sometimes difficult to get in touch with people at the Lincoln Center (the central registration office) and even harder to find the correct person to talk to. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM

10,695 posts, read 11,336,851 times
Well, maybe they would then, but I think CHCCS is pretty strict. There are a lot of people who would like to send their kid to school there and not live in the district, and they keep a pretty sharp eye out for folks trying to scam the system.

Here's their proof of residency requirements as noted on their website:

Quote:
http://www.chccs.k12.nc.us/site_res_...serGroupType=G
Acceptable Proofs of Residency (must be in the name of the parent or legal guardian)
Current lease or rental agreement
Settlement statement, final sales contract or contract to purchase with occupancy date
Current Orange County property tax bill (motor vehicle tax bills are not acceptable)
Complete gas, water or power bill or activation dated within the past 60 days
So I guess if you have a contract from your builder with an occupancy date that they accept that might work.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-15-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary