Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:16 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,092,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Be careful. One of my colleagues here in NC had a series of mishaps from his LASIK procedure that caused permanent damage/distortion to his vision. Vision is not something you want to play around with.

I have heard satisfactory reports from friends who got the procedure done at the Laser Eye Center.
Amen to that.

Your vision is precious. The FDA has approved these procedures and folks are jumping into a dangerous pit.

Most do well, but the failures are tragic.

Glasses are better than a white cane with a red tip. Think before you roll the dice with your health.

Surgery has risks.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:36 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,428,103 times
BCBS doesn't pay a dime toward LASIK (unless things have changed) - it is the actual provider who is giving the discount... Dr. Kelly wasn't on the list for the lasik discount, but I still got the discount.Just ask. He will not do the surgery unless you are a well qualified candidate. Others have been turned away. He is also excellent for cataracts. Research him and see what others have said. Duke is excellent.. of course.. but you don't have to go to Durham... one of the best is right in our back yard.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,678,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyLu222 View Post
BCBS doesn't pay a dime toward LASIK (unless things have changed) - it is the actual provider who is giving the discount... Dr. Kelly wasn't on the list for the lasik discount, but I still got the discount.Just ask. He will not do the surgery unless you are a well qualified candidate. Others have been turned away. He is also excellent for cataracts. Research him and see what others have said. Duke is excellent.. of course.. but you don't have to go to Durham... one of the best is right in our back yard.
How do you know the poster doesn't live in Durham, or if Duke is closer?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 AM

92 posts, read 368,473 times
I can't believe no one has suggested Dr. James Kiley from the Raleigh Eye Center. I went to him 3 years and paid ~$2000 total. The results were amazing and I am still glasses-free 3 years later. Dr. Kiley is very type A and will not do anything less than a excellent job. Shop around, visit different Dr's offices and evaluate for yourself. But be careful - only go with the best.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,428,103 times
LASIK NC Laser Eye Surgery Raleigh Eye Doctor, NC LASIK Vision Correction Raleigh Kelly Eye Care Center Raleigh

Dr. Kelly is across from Rex Hospital and is centrally located to many other areas of the Triangle.

I don't believe the poster said where she lives, she was only looking for opinions.

I'm suspicious of drive by LASIK - and she won't get this at Duke.. or Dr. Kelly either.

I knowDr. Kelly turns away people if they don't think they are candidates for LASIK - many others don't.

I do believe the technology continues to improve. I know of several people who had the procedure 10 years ago and they are back in glasses..

Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 40,200 times
I too had lasik at the Raleigh Eye Center almost 4 years ago and had a great experience. My vision was corrected to 20/20 in both eyes. Dr. Kiley and his staff were more than thorough in screening to make sure I was a good candidate and would benefit from lasik to correct my nearsightedness. The surgery was a breeze.......I would highly recommend the Raleigh Eye Center and Dr. Kiley.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 PM

600 posts, read 3,440,876 times
Dr. Michael Kelly, on Lake Boone Trail (across from Rex Hospital) Did my cataract surgery. All went extremely well. I am not a candidate for Lasik, but I have friends that have been thrilled with the results from Dr. Kelly's work.

Streamer1212

Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 31,797 times
Default Raleigh Eye Center

I had mine done almost exactly six years ago by Dr. James Kiley at Raleigh Eye Center, and I am extremely pleased. I have had no problems and went from a -5.75 prescription to 20/20 vision. The posters mentioning the risks are absolutely right, but it's important to realize that the risk of a poor outcome drops commensurate with the skill of the surgeon - so look for a surgeon who has done thousands of procedures. Dr. Kiley, when I had mine done in 2002, had done some huge number of procedures then; his numbers now would be even higher.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM

30 posts, read 107,437 times
I had mine done at NC Eye and Ear in Durham in 2003 and have been very happy.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary