Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:14 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

Thanks SFspiderman. This still has me wondering if the Raleigh City Council's agreement with AT&T has caused them to take their eye off the ball with Google?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Where do you see that info? Any details about Raleigh?
I emailed Bill Stice, Cary's technology director. So no, I don't have info about any other city/town.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Have any of the city governments around here submitted their data to Google? I would be intersted to see which cities are just talking the talk and which ones are actually willing to ante up to the table with Google.
We're there submissions required beyond the initial applications that town submitted to Google?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
We're there submissions required beyond the initial applications that town submitted to Google?
Today is the deadline for municipalities to provide all of the info requested by Google in the initial checklist distributed when they announced candidate cities...info about existing utility infrastructure, details on allowing Google to access that infrastructure to avoid having to dig up streets or place new poles, and details on streamlining permitting.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:52 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Today is the deadline for municipalities to provide all of the info requested by Google in the initial checklist distributed when they announced candidate cities...info about existing utility infrastructure, details on allowing Google to access that infrastructure to avoid having to dig up streets or place new poles, and details on streamlining permitting.

Apparently all completed across the Triangle

Got Google Fiber? Triangle one step closer to saying yes - Triangle Business Journal

Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
That is great news !!!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM

65 posts, read 92,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post

any idea how it will work? a lot of communities just have Time Warner cable as the only option. I believe these builders never allowed others to be there for cables like ATT.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:42 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithkeep View Post
any idea how it will work? a lot of communities just have Time Warner cable as the only option. I believe these builders never allowed others to be there for cables like ATT.
From Wikipedia (which in this case seems to be accurate from what I've read elsewhere):

Distribution
In order to avoid underground cabling complexity for the last mile, Google Fiber relies on aggregators dubbed Google Fiber Huts.

From these Google Fiber Huts, the fiber cables travel along utility poles into neighborhoods and homes.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:54 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
From Wikipedia (which in this case seems to be accurate from what I've read elsewhere):

Distribution
In order to avoid underground cabling complexity for the last mile, Google Fiber relies on aggregators dubbed Google Fiber Huts.

From these Google Fiber Huts, the fiber cables travel along utility poles into neighborhoods and homes.
The last mile is the toughest part (part of the reason some providers will use wireless). Aerial (assuming you can get pole attachment permits and that aerial utilities exist) is easier as you don't have to trench/direction drill across roads, driveways, etc. Some folks complain about a simple ditch witch crossing their property as landscaping is disturbed. On whole, buried utilities are more attractive long term.

Good info here:

Google Fiber Blog

Frank

Old 05-01-2014, 01:09 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Distribution

Interesting. I wonder how this will impact those neighborhoods like mine who have ALL utilities buried. We already have AT&T (formerly BellSouth) fiber to the curb running throughout our neighborhood which should mean there is conduit in place, but I would expect they would need much more conduit than might be in place currently to get the last mile done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary