Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

One thing I have not heard addressed are cable plant leases on poles. Duke/Progress owns pretty much all the poles in this area and Google will have to negotiate a deal with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
As I understand it, a key component of Google Fiber deployment is the partnership with individual municipalities. This enables Google to use existing infrastructure like wiring closets in municipal buildings, existing conduit, etc.

Given the nature of this partnership, I think it's natural to think that service will emanate from the municipal centers (downtown Raleigh, Durham, Cary, etc). That seems to be exactly how it played out in Kansas City. Even though there was huge demand in the suburbs, they had to wait.
Yeah... I see how that makes sense... I don't live too far from the center of DT Cary, not really... so, however they roll it out is cool with me.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
One thing I have not heard addressed are cable plant leases on poles. Duke/Progress owns pretty much all the poles in this area and Google will have to negotiate a deal with them.
Hmm... that's a sad thought. I really dislike Duke Energy. Even their online payment system is a pain sometimes.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
This is on the agenda for the next Chapel Hill Town Council meeting:

Quote:
The Town is pursuing opportunities to increase availability of ultra-high-speed internet access and address the digital divide in our community. Through partnerships with private sector entities, such as AT&T and Google, as well as UNC-Chapel Hill, the Town has continued to make progress towards its stated Council Goal of maintaining and improving community facilities and services.

The Council will consider authorizing the Town Manager to execute the AT&T Master Agreement for ultra-high-speed internet installation. Council authorized the Town to participate in the North Carolina Next Generation Network (NCNGN) initiative in early 2013.

In February 2014, Google announced that the Triangle area was selected as one of nine U.S. metro areas including 34 cities for potential fiber-optic network build-out. Google Fiber is planning to announce its selections for fiber installation by the end of 2014.
Agenda details for this item with document links is here:

http://chapelhillpublic.novusagenda....&meetingid=301

Old 05-28-2014, 02:55 PM

288 posts, read 360,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I remember reading that this was an issue for Google Fiber in Kansas City. I think that there was a high-voltage side of the utility pole, and a low-voltage side. The existing cable/telco companies had an exclusive lease on the low-voltage side and were trying to block Google from using it. Kansas City officials worked out a deal with the power companies to run fiber on the high-voltage side, but after all that, Google's competitors gave in and just let them use the low-voltage side.

In the end, I think that municipalities will work this out with the utility pole owners, and negotiate fair lease terms for Google. I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of Google's checklist.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:05 PM

It's definitely part of the checklist, it's just that I have not seen anything in all the info from the various municipalities actually addressing it.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I remember reading that this was an issue for Google Fiber in Kansas City. I think that there was a high-voltage side of the utility pole, and a low-voltage side. The existing cable/telco companies had an exclusive lease on the low-voltage side and were trying to block Google from using it. Kansas City officials worked out a deal with the power companies to run fiber on the high-voltage side, but after all that, Google's competitors gave in and just let them use the low-voltage side.

In the end, I think that municipalities will work this out with the utility pole owners, and negotiate fair lease terms for Google. I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of Google's checklist.
As a general rule power cable (i.e. Duke) is at the top of the pole and communications cable (i.e ATT, TW, etc) attachments are lower. This is primarily due to safety - communications techs don't have to climb past the power lines to access communication cables as the comm cables are below the power cables.
Pole attachment permits can be easy or they can be contentious. I agree that in this area I would expect Google to gain fair access.

Frank

Old 06-13-2014, 06:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
AT&T and the city of Durham reached an agreement Thursday for the telecom giant to expand its fiber network, increasing Internet speeds for residents and businesses.

The company plans to bring its GigaPower service, which has Internet speeds that are up to 20 times faster than most broadband connections, to small businesses, multifamily residential developments and public "hotspots" in the city

AT&T’s agreement with Durham is designed to streamline the permitting process required to lay additional fiber. Construction of the network is set to begin in the coming weeks. The new fiber will be installed both above and below ground and will exist as a new network, said AT&T representative Josh Gelinas.
Durham leaders approve agreement for AT&T fiber network | .Biz blog | NewsObserver.com

Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
Cool your jets, wait till they have their first fiber cut or system outage and you have no phone/tv/internet for a week. I am not so sure that these out of town fiber companies have the resources and staff in place to support any type of major service outage yet.
Just saying, you might not want to be the first kid on the block with this and the Telcos are not going to break any speed records when they are outsourced to help these guys in times of need.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM

The other night, our phone service, which we really only keep for the alarm and are going to ditch soon, went out. This was Wednesday. They said it was a main cable and the ETA to fix was Saturday. Not sure they could do worse than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary