Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
The sections I made magenta in the quote confirm what I said above about Google tracking your usage and content while using their online services: search, email, docs, YouTube, etc., which is no secret (no pun intended, darn).
And any 3rd-party site that uses their advertising ... which is a lot of sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 AM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
And any 3rd-party site that uses their advertising ... which is a lot of sites.
Yes indeed. A good reminder, thanks.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:01 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
We've known about Google tracking use of their search engine
I think that DuckDuckGo does not track your activity.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:45 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
TWC gave me 50mb down for 65/mo, that's the current promotion if anyone wants to call and ask, should be repeatable, didnt feel very groundbreaking.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
TWC gave me 50mb down for 65/mo, that's the current promotion if anyone wants to call and ask, should be repeatable, didnt feel very groundbreaking.
Call them back and downgrade to 15mb for $45/month. This year they will be upgrading 15mb to 50mb for no extra charge. TWC will try to get you any chance they get.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Why settle for 1 gig? That was so-o-o-o 2016.....

Comcast to give Atlanta fastest Internet in the country - Apr. 2, 2015

Old 04-02-2015, 09:53 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Their current top-end 505 Mbps service costs $400/month, though apparently they've said the new 2 Gbps service will be less than that as they restructure everything.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Their current top-end 505 Mbps service costs $400/month, though apparently they've said the new 2 Gbps service will be less than that as they restructure everything.
Yeah. They have a franchise "monopoly" requirement to service an entire area, and cannot cherry-pick like GOOG will when focusing only on the most affluent/profitable areas.

But, it makes me think that there is glimmer of a possibility of TWC offering higher speeds than MAXX currently is projecting, particularly if the sale to Comcast is consummated.

We are headed for "Instant-net," in one form or another.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-02-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yeah. They have a franchise "monopoly" requirement to service an entire area, and cannot cherry-pick like GOOG will when focusing only on the most affluent/profitable areas.

But, it makes me think that there is glimmer of a possibility of TWC offering higher speeds than MAXX currently is projecting, particularly if the sale to Comcast is consummated.

We are headed for "Instant-net," in one form or another.
Franchises are dead in many states, including NC.

And Comcast has said in other venues that this service would be available in areas passed by their existing fiber network; but, I did not get the impression that they would run this to just anywhere.

Mike, you seem to be a skeptic on this GOOG thing, but it's impossible to deny that their entry in the market a few years back has shaken up the market. Since HFC networks launched in the 1990s, while Moore's Law saw speeds increase as prices decreased on computer hardware, broadband prices per megabit and service availability remained flat to increasing -- a sign of market failure, because that's not how technology or competitive telecom network pricing ever works.

Add a disrupt or willing to overbuild? Suddenly, all the legacy carriers are increasing speeds.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Franchises are dead in many states, including NC.

And Comcast has said in other venues that this service would be available in areas passed by their existing fiber network; but, I did not get the impression that they would run this to just anywhere.

Mike, you seem to be a skeptic on this GOOG thing, but it's impossible to deny that their entry in the market a few years back has shaken up the market. Since HFC networks launched in the 1990s, while Moore's Law saw speeds increase as prices decreased on computer hardware, broadband prices per megabit and service availability remained flat to increasing -- a sign of market failure, because that's not how technology or competitive telecom network pricing ever works.

Add a disrupt or willing to overbuild? Suddenly, all the legacy carriers are increasing speeds.
I'm not a skeptic on GOOG Fiber at all. It appears to be a great service, albeit offered to a chosen few. It is a good thing to offer competition to the legacy carriers and to push the market.
(Saturnfan will HATE improved internet service in the area. It will make the area more appealing to employers who will transfer in more overpaid Yuppie Scum.)
I hope GOOG pushes the market hard enough that the market offers me alternatives to giving GOOG money.

I am just a GOOG skeptic. They are a corrupt company from the top down.
Stock split could cost Google more than $500 million - SFGate

I like to refer to Google by their stock symbol "GOOG" because I talk to too many people who think "Google is Free," while they clearly are just another enormously profitable corrupt company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary