Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:27 AM

100 posts, read 135,860 times

Advertisements

ok,

so our move in date in south cary (thanks meh_whatever) is 3/1

I MUST have reliable, fast internet as I am an insurance underwriter who works from home.

I need advice...which company to go with?

I looked at both and see that att uverse is cheaper, but the download speed is slower AND they require a 1 year contract AND you have to use their equipment

TWC (soon to be comcast I guess) is more expensive, but has a faster mbps download package AND it doesn't require a contract AND I can use my own modem that I purchased here in MD

So, I'm looking for advice from those who have either, or had both. Which do you prefer?

I don't really like having to go on a contract for a year and use their equipment, BUT if their service is the most reliable then I'll go with at&t

but if TWC is faster, no contract, use your own equipment, and more reliable, then I'll go with them.

I will do a lot of video streaming as we are NOT getting cable (NBA league pass broadband and tv online from the various network sites, netflix etc).

So please help me figure out which is best between the two companies for internet...reliablilty and speed being key.

Oh, and try not to use too much technical jargon if you can help it. I work under the federal government as an underwriter...so you know my IQ isn't the highest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:38 AM

77 posts, read 188,000 times
When I had TWC (and Comcast - same things apply for both of my experiences) I had to reset my router all the time. Even when I used my own top-of-the-line routers, something happening with the signal was forcing the internet connection to drop (but not my wifi signal - the actual internet connection, even wired) and required a reset of the router (technically a gateway - wifi router + modem in one) about once a week, sometimes more. It was very annoying.

I've had U-Verse for almost 2 years and I haven't had to reset the router/gateway EVER. I stream videos on HBO Go with my laptop and over Apple TV and there are no problems with that, either.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 AM

152 posts, read 366,045 times
Both are equally bad. If I were you I'd go with TWC until Google rolls out their service. Use one of the promotions they have going, at the end of term cancel, and then the following week start a new promotion, rinse & repeat ad nauseum.

Currently on the 50 meg down 5 meg up with TWC for $64.99 per month.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,876,897 times
I've had pretty reliable internet service from TWC in both Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Every once in a while I have to hit reset, but it's not very frequent.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM

430 posts, read 624,529 times
I tried to use TWC to run a home business and the reliability simply wasn't there. There was simply too much downtime to run my business reliably and it was painful working with their customer service.

I switched to TWC Business Class which was much much more expensive but it had guaranteed up-time and I had my service rep's cell phone number. Their services and reliability was outstanding.

Since then I moved my business servers off-site and just use AT&T which was pretty much included free with my cell phone plan and is fine for normal consumer use.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 AM

544 posts, read 850,132 times
I've had AT&T Internet for several years -- first when they referred to it as DSL, and then went to the UVERSE technology. (I asked the installer what the difference, but my eyes glazed over rather quickly)

I've had only two reliability issues: The massive multi-state outage they had last year, and I had the router/modem go bad (that may have been back in the dsl days.. can't remember)

I have the 12 Mbps service and never have any problems streaming video content, either hardwired to my desk top, or Wi-Fi streaming Netflix to a laptop. I don't do a lot of downloading of files or content, but the speed I have works for my needs.

I've been happy with it.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM

wow thanks everyone...

you can keep your experiences coming

but it sounds like so far at&t sounds like the more reliable service...

I would LOVE google to come, but from what I see its not a sure thing yet for the triangle, and when it comes, it's going to take some time before it hits...

I need a stop gap measure in the meanwhile

I have comcast currently here in MD, and I have to do the whole "reset the router/modem" crap too. Then I bought my own router/modem from bestbuy and have only had to do it once since Sept.

wondering if I would have to go back to frequent resetting with TWC if I did go with them while I wait on google...at least then I wouldn't be locked into a contract

but that's just so annoying...

Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,805,080 times
I've got TWC Premium Advantage service. I have to reset my router every couple of weeks, but have to do that with my set top boxes, too.

If this is a problem, just go to Lowe's or Home Depot, buy a cheap timer and put the modem on it and set it to power-off, then power-on every night at 2am. Of course, this has some implications as you may receive a new public IP address on reboot, or if you have an "always on" application (like a weather station). If you don't: no harm, no foul.

With Premium Advantage, you get priority when calling for an outage. You should get an answer (rather than hold) by an english-speaking call center. We've had pretty good luck. Seems like those who have problems are in neighborhoods, apartments, etc. where there is a lot of customer "churn".

Wife and myself both work out of the house and have had really no problems in over a year.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 AM

360 posts, read 718,922 times
I've got TWC and have never had any issues that I can recall in the 9.5 years I've had them as an ISP.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I've got TWC Premium Advantage service. I have to reset my router every couple of weeks, but have to do that with my set top boxes, too.

If this is a problem, just go to Lowe's or Home Depot, buy a cheap timer and put the modem on it and set it to power-off, then power-on every night at 2am. Of course, this has some implications as you may receive a new public IP address on reboot, or if you have an "always on" application (like a weather station). If you don't: no harm, no foul.

With Premium Advantage, you get priority when calling for an outage. You should get an answer (rather than hold) by an english-speaking call center. We've had pretty good luck. Seems like those who have problems are in neighborhoods, apartments, etc. where there is a lot of customer "churn".

Wife and myself both work out of the house and have had really no problems in over a year.
Hmmm....Premium advantage huh?

I'll have to take a look at that more closely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary