Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I have been to the Rex Wellness pool. I have a serious knee injury (I've had two surgeries, but now need knee replacement which has to wait because I'm having complications from an unrelated surgery). They have various levels of membership with one for "day time" that's very reasonable. The warm water pool also has a lift chair that will take you into the pool without having to use the stairs. That was a great feature for me because stairs are difficult for me (I've fallen so much in my own house that I had to move my bedroom downstairs).

I have not found anyone that address Fibromyalgia specifically, but I see a PCP, Orthopedic surgeon and Pain Management doctor that all work together to provide continuity of care. I would recommend that you find a "Health and Healing" paper. They are usually sitting out in most doctors offices. They could be available other places, but I'm not sure. They often have a "featured" specialty doctor in each paper and then various smaller articles about local providers and some advertisements. I've found some places I would never know about without looking through that paper.

Sorry you're in so much pain. I hope you find someone you can build a rapport with and gain some relief.

Kind regards,
MJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 AM

553 posts, read 1,272,152 times
I've been battling rheumatoid arthritis for 12 years and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last year. My RA doc, Dr. Sylvia Ross, at Triangle Arthritis and Rheumatology is amazing. She is very committed to my having as little pain as possible.

I know how hard it can be to exercise, especially when you are tired and in pain. What I have learned is that moving a little, even just walking, is the best thing for pain. I know it sounds counterproductive, but it does help. I know that the local YMCA keeps the pool warm because of the kids and many people use it for PT. That might be an option.

I hope you find what your are looking for and for relief as well. Gentile hugs to you.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:31 PM

62 posts, read 130,373 times
Default Thanks, duke integrative medicine? Duke Pittsboro?

Thanks for all of the warm wishes and recommendations. I am still very open to more suggestions.

One place I saw on line was duke integrative medicine. It looks expensive (1500 and that does not include any medical care or club membership), but might be worth it. A bit farther to drive than I had hoped. Looks like 25-35 min even without traffic problem. Anyone with experience? Worth it?

As of now, I am favoring Dunn PT and perhaps using their pool some as they offer a pool package. They are about 5 miles away...so 15 min drive even with traffic.

I visited Rex center in Cary. Pool looked nice but was pretty crowded when I visited. Massage was disappointing...cold room, unheated table that made me hurt during massage....but the pool might be ok...about 25 min drive.

One massage therapist mentioned some of the assisted living facilities have warm pools that they offer monthly use to outsiders. She thought one off of 55 and Cary Parkway gad this...but could not name it.

I have also heard some good things about duke wellness out in Pittsboro...but that seems a bit of a drive too....probably 25 min and would be opposite the traffic pattern. But if they have good aqua program might be a reasonable choice. Any experiences?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:37 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Dunn PT...one thing you should probably know going in is that they do NOT like people to do physical therapy in the pool. Yes, they have one. Yes, you can do PT in there, but they push you really, really hard NOT to be in the water. My knee is all but a useless weight on the right side of body and ANY kind of movement is painful with exercise being excruitiating. The allowed me to go in the pool TWO times. Their "reasoning" is we don't live in water, so we have to adjust to being able to function on land. That's find and good if my leg could work okay on land, but it doesn't. I just ended up in more and more pain with no hope for being able to exercise and rebuild muscle in the water. Very frustrating when one hurts all the time.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,201 times
I have no experience w/ this place, but I've seen commercials for it:

Raleigh Physical Therapy, Raleigh Aquatic Physical Therapy & Beyond, Raleigh Rehabilitation, NC, North Carolina, Therapy, Aquatics, Aquatic Therapy, hydro thereapy, hydrotherapy

Edit; I know someone who teaches aqua zumba at this place in Cary, so maybe they let other people use the pool like you mentioned?

http://www.glenaire.org/

Old 04-06-2014, 12:09 PM

6 posts, read 7,781 times
I had to receive a massage therapy to regain my original form after getting a severe back pain. I have heard about the benefits of massage therapy, but I couldn’t believe that I have got over my back pain. The treatment was from physiomed clinic in Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary