Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times

Advertisements

just remember...all the transplants have NC plates now, or they should have...so I am finding the plate changed but the aggressiveness hasn't...I steer clear of the crazies no matter what state license plate the car is bearing it's all over...can't single out one particular state...it's the operator, not the state...so NY, NJ, CT, NC...if it's a crazy behind the wheel, steer clear of him/her....be safe everyone

Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Great advice.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 PM

38 posts, read 145,507 times
Smile Driving Habits

Great advice Nynraleigh - nothing is that important if you have to tailgate the person in front of you. This is especially true when it's raining or when there is ice on the ground. And on a related note, it is okay to let someone merge in front of you. It's not really going to set you back that much now will it?

In closing, simple common sense and a willingness to share the road will make for an easier drive and lower BP...

Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 PM

213 posts, read 936,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBaby View Post
Yes.

The only real difference from most other places is that you are not allowed to make a left turn on red from a one way street onto a one way street.
Really? Woops.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
There was some talk of this, but not implemented.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,599 times
I think that, no matter where you live- you think people from 'up there', 'down there', 'over there' or 'not from around here' are the worst drivers.

This is because you are used to how you drive-and how others around you drive. YOu know the roads, the habits, etc... I've done 99% of my driving all over NC, and am used to it. Drove through Atlanta and almost had a heart attack- and I was only 18 at the time! lol

So, its not necessarily that others are bad, its just what you are used to dealing with!

Even with that knowledge, I still get irritated at drivers with out of state plates when you can tell they obviously DON'T know where they are going! lol I always want to hand them the map that lives in my glove box! lol

Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,222 times
So I am one of those from "Up there"......Long Island....born and raised.......we were down in Clayton looking at areas/homes last week for a full week........

I absolutely love that when your in a corner store waiting to pull out but the light at the corner intersection is red that all those waiting for that light dont block that entrance and they actually allow you to come out ahead.....

Here in on long island that intersection would be blocked up by double traffic and if it wasnt the next person coming down the road would gass it to get past ya before you could get out......the same as people coming off service road ramps....

I honestely think that down there you are all more relaxed and laid back and that just carries over in all that you do......it is so much nicer......almost everyone here in nyc/long island is rushing to get to the next thing....gotta be there on time gotta get to that 3rd job, that no one stops to take a breathe and just relax and it definately comes accross in they way people drive......

Everyone was so curteous on the road until the only issue we had was someone driving too quickly in the hotel parking long and funny enough and sorry to say it did have nj plates.....my husband and I actually laughed about it....

So i don't think some are that far off since I do experience it every day first hand but you cant classify everyone.....since I am not always a road rager...(have had my moments) but thats usually against someone who obviously got their licence from a cereal box.......

I cant wait to get down there for good and enjoy the smiles and waves and the unblocked entrances....lol

Just my "Nickel"

Suzanne

Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 PM

40 posts, read 122,503 times
I love it that the drivers from NJ aren't offended by this thread. I guess it's just because the driving 'up there' really is more aggressive. I learned to drive in NJ, and I totally agree with it, and also that crazy, unpredictable, erratic driving is pervasive here. I think it has some to do with not-so-great road planning and marking during such rapid growth. I also think it is partially attributable to our transplants from further south. My personal experience has been that way.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 854 times
My wife and I were literally just honked at and then cursed at for having the audacity to cross a street on foot in the crosswalk with the WALK sign on in New Jersey. I am not from here and I notice this kind of behavior on a weekly basis. There is clearly something the matter with NJ drivers, not just the way they drive fast and wreckless, but the lack of basic human decency and respect for life.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:47 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,818 times
[quote=xiwan;29949183. There is clearly something the matter with NJ drivers, not just the way they drive fast and wreckless, but the lack of basic human decency and respect for life.[/QUOTE]

Wreckless driving --- what could be better than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary