Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 AM

67 posts, read 119,122 times

Advertisements

I sincerely thank everyone for answering my questions. You all have been tremendously helpful. I love City-Data because it is a means of finding out information that is not main stream. Since I don’t currently live in the area, you have provided information that I would not otherwise have been able to obtain unless I came down to visit and spend aweek just traveling the neighborhoods.

I do plan to do that. But, before I cando that I had to have a starting point. You all have given me some starting points; which is more than what I had at the beginning. I’m also seeking a place where my husband and I can retire in a few years. We are on the otherside of our life and just want to relax, enjoy nature, and wait for our children to have children so that we can enjoy spoiling them and send them back home. lol.

We also love to eat. The restaurants that were suggested are much appreciated. I miss southern cooking. I was born and raised in (Suffolk) Virginia.

Mia78, scratchie, fvncresident04, NorasMomthank you; you all have clarified my intentions quite well. You ROCK!

Last edited by violamr; 02-26-2014 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: characters in posting that do not appear correct and words running together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
somewhat off-subject, but if he's able to drive, I'd really look into getting the kid a car.
The best advice in the entire thread.

And the OP sounds like a person who will be most welcome in this area - gracious, polite and open to new experiences. We love having newbies like you!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violamr View Post
Mia78, scratchie, fvncresident04, NorasMomthank you; you all have clarified my intentions quite well. You ROCK!
Mwah! Love ya, babe! 8-)

I don't remember if I mentioned it in this thread, but check out Larry's Southern Cooking in South Raleigh. I don't have much experience with southern cooking but I knows what I likes!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 AM

67 posts, read 119,122 times
Thank you very much JKgourmet.
Is it safe to assume you are into cooking? lol
My 18 year old wants to be a chef. He's a bread/dessert person.
I can see myself gaining 20 pounds or more easily for those two things are my weaknesses.

Have a wonderful day ; - )

Old 02-27-2014, 12:25 PM

143 posts, read 201,676 times
This area has abysmal public transportation, I wouldn't plan on it being useful for you at all. Either a car or walking distance for your son.

The Cary/Apex/Morrisville area is all on the upscale side. Even neighborhoods with little tiny post-war bungalows are being bought up and turned into snappy little modern houses. Apex is cheaper than Cary, for no reason I can figure out, and we like that it's still got a small town feel.

Most folks here are from somewhere else, here because of work. You may hear more Jersey and New York accents than southern. This also means there really aren't much in the way of "established neighborhoods" like you'd find up north (yankee here too) and everything is much more fluid - really it's just what neighborhood you can afford.

Real estate is cheaper here than Jersey, so you may or may not have to shell out $1500 a month for your apartment, depending on what you are looking for.

Sadly, we have no Wegmans' here. We are getting a Publix in a few months tho, which is almost as good

Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
Apex is cheaper than Cary, for no reason I can figure out,
I"m sure it's location and amenities, and that Cary is just more established than Apex. They are both great though.

Cary is REALLY central to everything in the triangle, Apex is not bad, but another little bit south.

Cary is more established, has more "amenities", and just a little bit more to do than Apex.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM

143 posts, read 201,676 times
True. Although the way one town flows right from one to the next the addresses sometimes feel arbitrary. I live near the magical nexus of C/A/M, so I feel like I "live" in all three towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I"m sure it's location and amenities, and that Cary is just more established than Apex. They are both great though.

Cary is REALLY central to everything in the triangle, Apex is not bad, but another little bit south.

Cary is more established, has more "amenities", and just a little bit more to do than Apex.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:00 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Durham would probably be your best bet for the neighborhood question...

And possibly parts of Knightdale in Wake County, portions of the New Hope Road area (between 64 and Rock Quarry) and generally points east that stem from from New Hope and Poole roads in Wake County.

Believe it or not people, even New Bern Ave (between King Charles and King William) have some older homes with older, longtime black Raleigh residents who aren't cash strapped by any means.

I would say those Wake County areas don't have "affluent" blacks (e.g. the Prince Georges County, Maryland standard... and for some reason I think that's what the OP is going for), but possibly, possibly lower middle depending on your threshold.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violamr View Post
Hello everyone,

My husband and I are looking into relocating to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill from North Jersey. I know that you've heard this before and I'm sorry. We will be bringing our 18 year old son who wishes to attend Culinary Arts school.

Our questions for you - please keep in mind that we seek something upscale and not . . .

1. We plan to rent an apartment first prior to purchasing a home. Any suggestions on a 2-3 bedroom apartment - minimum $1500 a month?

2. We are government employees (Durham Veterans Administration), we wish to keep our commute as short as possible.

3. How is public transportation? Our son will be taking PT to school.

4. What is the job market like for an 18 year old?

5. I've read some great things about Durham/Cary - I'm not familiar with Cary. How's living there. My husband and I are movie/park walking/ outdoorsy types.

6. Anything that you wish to anwer that I did not ask because we do not know the area.
You should read the "stickied" thread on the title page about relocation (i.e. the one that says "please read this first), which answers many of your questions.

But oddly, your post title references upscale AA neighborhoods and then you ask other unrelated questions.

There are no "specifically AA" upscale neighborhoods here, but there are AA people integrated into every neighborhood of every socioeconomic level.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times
Up north I have seen neighborhoods of what was then million dollar homes made up of blacks. It actually amazed me how the neighborhoods were so segregated.

You will not find that down here. In fact, you will be surprised at how different blacks in general are down here than up north. Your best bet is to find an established neighborhood that you like and go from there. Durham has the best population affluent blacks in the Triangle. There are lots of neighborhoods you could fine. Southwest Durham is often mentioned but in reality, it is a white area and full of growth and commerce. A lot of people new to the area move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary