Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 AM

20 posts, read 28,709 times

Advertisements

So we had a very quick visit recently to see the area and really liked it a lot. So many of the suggestions I found from this site were extremely helpful to us. We didn't spend a lot of time at all on Franklin Street, but really enjoyed the food at BUNS and Insomnia cookies! They deliver fresh cookies until 3am!! Boy would I have loved this when I was in college!

I think we are all in agreement that we would prefer a community with a pool and walking trails.

We really loved Lake Hogan farms! The only thing was it seemed a bit "far away" from things such as the grocery store, etc. Now - keep in mind we have no idea where we even were half the time J and spent a lot of time driving back and forth. But things did seem to be a bit "far". Am I off base with this observation? Also, is Lake Hogan really in Carrboro?

Loved the whole Meadowmont area and concept. Felt that for the price of the homes, there was not a lot of land at all. Also concerned about the fact that some homes are not zoned for Chapel Hill schools. Not sure where and which, but this was mentioned to me.

We also really loved the neighborhoods and concept of the Legacy at Jordan Lake and the Preserve. This also seemed a bit removed from shopping, stores, restaurants, etc and not sure we want to consider Chatham schools. Honestly, we have focused so much on CH schools that we haven't even looked into other school districts. Any insight on Northwoood High School and/or Pollard MS?

It's always hard to move and when you have older kids, it's even harder. Are kids generally accepting of others who move to the area? We have older children, so will it be harder to meet people for us and for the kids?

Walking around Franklin Street was really neat - but we did feel out of place not being college students. Are there places or sections that us "old folks" can frequent or dine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 12:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat95 View Post
We really loved Lake Hogan farms! The only thing was it seemed a bit "far away" from things such as the grocery store, etc. Now - keep in mind we have no idea where we even were half the time J and spent a lot of time driving back and forth. But things did seem to be a bit "far". Am I off base with this observation? Also, is Lake Hogan really in Carrboro?
Yes, Lake Hogam Farms is in Carrboro. As you drive west on Homestead Road from MLK, the Chapel Hill/Carrboro town line is basically at the railroad tracks. It's 2.5 miles to the grocery store at Old 86 and NC54, or 4 miles to the grocery stores (2) at MLK and Timberlyne.

Quote:
Walking around Franklin Street was really neat - but we did feel out of place not being college students. Are there places or sections that us "old folks" can frequent or dine?
East Franklin Street tends to be more "collegey" whereas West Franklin Street is more grown up. (Columbia is the dividing line.)

Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Yes Lake Hogan Farms is in Carrboro. Carrboro and Chapel Hill share a border. Hard to know where one stops and the other begins.

How far away is "far"? The Harris Teeter grocery store at Chapel Hill North and the Food Lion at Timberlyne shopping center are probably about 5 miles from Lake Hogan Farms. Weaver Street Market in Carrboro is probably 5 miles, too.

Plenty of places for old folks and there are times that Franklin St is more collegey. If you're down there on Sat night like our family was recently it does feel like you've stepped right onto campus. West Franklin St is not as student-oriented.

I think Northwood is fairly well-regarded, but not as highly sought after as the CHCCS high schools. Are your kids high achievers? CHCCS have the reputation of being especially good for kids who are very academically motivated.

You might like to look at Cates Farm in Carrboro. It's a little closer in. Did you look at Southern Village? It's the same sort of village concept as Meadowmont, also with the small lots, though.

I am not the best person to advise on those type neighborhoods. I live in an older neighborhood right in the heart of Chapel Hill and I don't really know other folks who live in the neighborhoods you're looking at. Most of my friends seem to live closer in in older neighborhoods, too.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro have a super popular summer swim league with a variety of pools you can join, so you don't have to have a pool in the neighborhood.

Bolin Forest and Spring Valley, etc, back up to miles of trails along Bolin Creek at Carolina North Forest.

No worries about being accepted as newcomers. There are folks moving in and out of town all the time with UNC. It's always an adjustment, but the town as a whole is very welcoming to newcomers. Are you coming for UNC?

(posted same time as you CHTransplant )

Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Loved the whole Meadowmont area and concept. Felt that for the price of the homes, there was not a lot of land at all. Also concerned about the fact that some homes are not zoned for Chapel Hill schools. Not sure where and which, but this was mentioned to me.
Just look at Google Maps and note the county line dividing Orange County from Durham County. (Roughly at Meadowmont Lane.) Most of Meadowmont is in Orange County (Chapel Hill) but a small part on the eastern side of it is in Durham County and would be assigned to schools there.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
Hi and welcome to Chapel Hill. We moved here two years ago. I liked Lake Hogan Farms, too. It is very kid friendly. But like you, I felt it was a bit removed from things - almost country-like. Some people like that, and others do not.

There are newcomers moving here all the time, so I don't think your kids will have a problem being the new kids on the block.

We live in Southern Village which is very similar to Meadowmont. Most homes have very small lots - .15 seems to be the norm. While there are homes with 1/4 acre here, they are quite pricey. Overall, you definitely pay a premium to live in this neighborhood. People love it here because it has many amenities right in the neighborhood. We are about 2 miles to UNC campus and about the same to downtown Carrboro. It definitely serves a privileged population, whether good or bad.

Depending on where you are coming from, you may or may not like Chatham schools. It definitely serves a more rural population (lower test scores, fewer college-bound students) than Chapel Hill schools and schools that I was used to, coming from a Northeast city. It's definitely growing and becoming less rural, but it still has a long way to go.

Franklin Street is college-y for sure. It's a beautiful campus and I could see how one would love to go to school here, but as a person non-related to the school (not alumni, don't work there), I don't feel the benefits of living in a college town, but others love it.

Good luck with your search! Feel free to ask any more questions. I'm the newcomer here, compared to Poppydog, CHTransplant, and NoKudzu, and probably the least enamored with the area, but I try to be fair and balanced with my likes and dislikes of Chapel Hill and the Triangle, in general.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 6,943 times
We have kids in Chatham County schools and have been very pleased. The Mom in Chapel Hill blog says: "Don’t discount Chatham County... Things are moving and shaking in this particular County. Perry Harrison Elementary gets a lot of praise, and Woods Charter School (which is lottery based) is a place people love. Plus, a new high school is slated to go in as a lot of the wealth from the Chapel Hill township slips from Orange to Chatham county."

Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Overview

Northwood High is ranked 6th within North Carolina. Students have the opportunity to take Advanced Placement® course work and exams. The AP® participation rate at Northwood High is 47 percent. The student body makeup is 52 percent male and 48 percent female, and the total minority enrollment is 29 percent. Northwood High is 1 of 4 high schools in the Chatham County Schools.

Northwood High in PITTSBORO, NC | Best High Schools | US News

My kids are in Chatham Charter School. This is not a knock on Northwood, but I wanted to avoid Horton Middle School.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
We looked at all the neighborhood mentioned already plus a bunch more. We had very specific requirements.

. Meadowmont was out because we wanted our kids to play with the same kids they were going to school with. When we looked one side of the street went to Durham schools while other side CH/C schools.

Southern Village was out because the houses are so close together and we are yard people.

Couldn't find the right house till we found our house in Wexford. Kids walk to elementary and middle school. We could walk to Carrboro if we wanted to. Great flat neighborhood for bike riding and walking. Lots of kids, big woodsy lot, close the I40 when we need it, close to Homestead pool, close to any shopping we need, close to leisurely drive in the country if we want, close to farmers market in Carrboro, super pool and tennis courts, small pond and walking trails around it, friendly neighborhood.

Chapel Hill has a constant turnover. This is good for house buyers and sellers. In the 5 years we've been in our house the house across the street has had 3 different families, each one delightful. I think all the kids here are used to new kids coming all throughout the school year. It certainly is not like some places where outsiders or "yankees" are looked at with suspicion. We love the diversity of the whole community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary