Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,794 times

Advertisements

I almost make as much as I did in NJ after being here for 5+ years. I also know that my employer pays more than most around here. I would set expectations to make about 60% of what you do in NJ. If your husband is transferring with full salary you will be amazed at how well you will do here even without your income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:05 PM

30 posts, read 55,487 times
Thanks everyone...I know that the fact that my husband can keep his current salary is an excellent opportunity...it is just so unsettling to leave my job without something lined up as I'm sure you can imagine. Remarkably, medical social work jobs in NC pay equally, if not better than the salary in NJ. The Raleigh area is actually an excellent area for my career.

@ Sal_M, I did look into the licensing. Currently, I'm an LSW in NJ pursuing my LCSW. I noticed that in NC, I would need to apply for the LCSWA but it looks as though you need a job that provides clinical supervision in order to apply for the LCSWA or am I misinterpreting that? Can you apply to be an LCSWA prior to having a job with clinical supervision?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Old 02-27-2014, 03:17 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGirl84 View Post
@ Sal_M, I did look into the licensing. Currently, I'm an LSW in NJ pursuing my LCSW. I noticed that in NC, I would need to apply for the LCSWA but it looks as though you need a job that provides clinical supervision in order to apply for the LCSWA or am I misinterpreting that? Can you apply to be an LCSWA prior to having a job with clinical supervision?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
I am not positive but I did get the impression that I needed to be under clinical supervision to apply too. Take a look at the sight, there should be a number you can call to clarify all the requirements, it is a lot of information to sift through!

Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Save up some money to make up for your lack of salary

Rent the cheapest place you can while you look for a job. The cheapest place here will probably blow away what you are used to.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM

30 posts, read 55,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I am not positive but I did get the impression that I needed to be under clinical supervision to apply too. Take a look at the sight, there should be a number you can call to clarify all the requirements, it is a lot of information to sift through!
Well at least I'm not the only one who got that impression, haha. Hopefully, I'll find something. Currently, UNC and Duke are the only hospitals with open SW positions, mostly LCSW though. I am currently an Adult and Pediatric ICU Social Worker and also have a background in behavioral health so I have a wealth of clinical experience. As you know, in NJ you can do quite a bit of clinical work with your LSW. My back up plan is that I am a certified Pilates instructor so at the very least, I hope to be able to get some quick income teaching classes when we first move. Thanks again for reaching out!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Good luck in your search, I hope you find something soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary